F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
DC, you can drive it after the pulley install but before the tune install, I drove mine back from the shop that way through 60 km of suburban traffic with zero problems and many others have done the same. Just go gentle, don't give it any WOT and try not to exceed 4,000 rpm and you will be good to go.
Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Mine wouldn’t throw a code until I exceeded 5000 rpm. At that point you are exceeding 18 pounds of boost and the ECU is saying to itself: “WTF do I do now? Those parameters are off my charts.” The code thrown is “unexpected value encountered”. I’ll say!
Thanks! Appreciate the info. I should have the tune back soon, and It is still on the lift I did get the pulley on yesterday after work....and was a bit worried about the belt but after some fiddling, it popped on too! So it is all done. While I have it in pieces, I may go ahead and do the plugs since it is on the lift too? Violate my plan a bit

The Shop Manual said to use Loctite 270, which I could not find, so I used Loctite 263. Has similar/same characteristics so should be fine. As others have mentioned, it is time-consuming to get the bolts out! Hard to reach, and tight the whole way out. Extensions and creativity are your friend there.

A few pics from my install....

OEM Pulley

Bolts...Clean off Threadlock!

OEM VS VAP

Crank Pulley On - New Belt

VAP Crank on....Good quality! I put 3 bolts in to seat it and adjust and barely tightened...Then put the other 3 with Thread-lock...Then removed these and added Thread-lock and torqued to 48 lb/ft

Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

OK...Got plugs installed today as well! Now just waiting on the tune to be sent back to me from VAP. I did crank it up and all runs well, so was able to put it all back together. While I have it up, I am going to go ahead and change the oil from the drain pan.

Will maybe put a DIY together on plugs as well. There is info all over the place, but usually nice to have it in one easy PDF? Certainly was not easy, but very doable. I changed to the cooler plugs for the tune. Also removed the RaceChip and harness today to prepare for the tune.

The hardest plug IMO was the Driver side closest to the firewall, and the one that is next to the strut tower, as there is not much room! And it is no fun getting those stupid rubber heat shields back in either.

Now time for a laugh at my custom tool I made to get the plugs/coils out. I used one of those small ratcheting bit holders, but it is too short and hard to hold, so realized the other end was a hex also, and put an L shaped allen through it, but the extension also got it the way, and even the Torx bits are too long (very tight!).....So I cut a Torx bit to make it shorter, and cut an allen wrench down....and of course a little duct tape! And it worked great! It is not patented if anyone else needs to make one Funny looking, but worked great!

Take care,
DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
Black15FTR (09-22-2020), ferrral (10-29-2021), madmax1911 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Necessity is the father of invention !!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:23 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

The #1 rule of F-Type owner DIY is invent your own tools/methods

Old 09-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Hey DC, did you get any pre- mod Draggy data?
i will be very interested in your comparison data.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Hey DC, did you get any pre- mod Draggy data?
i will be very interested in your comparison data.
Unfortunately not many. I did get a few. The first one I got is below. So when done I will post an updated one as a point of reference. I finished the Lower Pulley, Belt, NGK HR8 Iridium Plugs, and Changed Oil with LiquiMolly and Mahle Filter yesterday....Still waiting for my tune file from VAP . I uploaded on 9/16 AM, and I am now told they are busy and running behind. Thankfully the car runs great as is with no CELs (without tune). It actually feels like it picked up some gains just as is?? I also had to remove the RaceChip...So that is gone now as well.

Working on a Spark Plug DIY now with photos and tips in a PDF....Will upload my tune when received and test it out!

Take care,
DC

The following users liked this post:
FLRRS (09-21-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
The #1 rule of F-Type owner DIY is invent your own tools/methods
Yes! Another "invention"....or quick thinking is with the coolant lines. When I removed them and they started leaking....Just a little, I found a great easy way to plug them with what you will already have in your shop likely. I took a pair of the rubber gloves I used the day before, and stuffed a little shop paper towel in the tip of the fingers I tore of and they seal them up nicely! Adding that to my future shop tool

DC

Rubber Glove Fingers, with Shop Paper Towel, stuffed in them...Great Plugs!

Old 09-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Update : Well....No Bueno' On the VAP Tune. I got everything + installed, but still no tune from VAP. Says 1-2 days but they are apparently busy and backed up, so hopefully soon.

On a good note....everything else works great, and car is running perfect so far! Also gave me time to finish up my Spark Plug DIY Write-up.

When I finally get my tune, I will use dragy and see how it goes, before starting on the Meth kit...

Stay tuned...(I did that for OZ )

DC

FLRRS (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

OKAY....Finally got my ECU Tune File. Downloaded to VTech (PowerGate3+) and uploaded to F-Type in a few minutes with NO issues (you do get a CEL, but I cleared it off...It will go away after a few starts and miles).

Car cranked up fine, with no issues, and took it for a quick test drive in the nice cool air this evening, and it runs great! I just changed Oil and it is spot on 100% full line (LiquiMolly JLR Spec 0W20) and Mahle Filter, Put NGK ILKAR8H6-96024 Iridium Plugs gapped at .036 and these are Heat Range 8 (OEM are 7...these are 1 range cooler...Numbers seem backwards), Put the New Black VAP Lower Pulley and Belt on, and then the Stage II Tune flashed.

I noticed with all but the Tune, the car seemed faster a bit, but after adding the tune, you can really feel it through the full range of acceleration. I plan on getting the Dragy out (maybe tomorrow) and see how it does. Note I still have the crap P Zeros and they are already getting slick(er) after ~4500 miles (not sure how that happened? )

At any rate, I am happy with the performance enhancement and how good the car is running after my upgrades and maintenance items. You can definitely feel it. Will post the Dragy info once I get it out again.

I already created a Spark Plug DIY. If anyone is interested in any info on oil or pulley, or belt, I am happy to do that as well....But there appear to be a few spots to find that info on various threads I think.

I have a few questions out to Meth Kit companies...When I get my answers I will tear it apart again and install that. Besides the cooler denser air, and the effective Octane boost, the Meth/H20 does a really good job of keeping the upper engine (valves, IC's, etc) clean!

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
madmax1911 (09-22-2020), supersportmtl (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
OKAY....Finally got my ECU Tune File. Downloaded to VTech (PowerGate3+) and uploaded to F-Type in a few minutes with NO issues (you do get a CEL, but I cleared it off...It will go away after a few starts and miles).

Car cranked up fine, with no issues, and took it for a quick test drive in the nice cool air this evening, and it runs great! I just changed Oil and it is spot on 100% full line (LiquiMolly JLR Spec 0W20) and Mahle Filter, Put NGK ILKAR8H6-96024 Iridium Plugs gapped at .036 and these are Heat Range 8 (OEM are 7...these are 1 range cooler...Numbers seem backwards), Put the New Black VAP Lower Pulley and Belt on, and then the Stage II Tune flashed.

I noticed with all but the Tune, the car seemed faster a bit, but after adding the tune, you can really feel it through the full range of acceleration. I plan on getting the Dragy out (maybe tomorrow) and see how it does. Note I still have the crap P Zeros and they are already getting slick(er) after ~4500 miles (not sure how that happened? )

At any rate, I am happy with the performance enhancement and how good the car is running after my upgrades and maintenance items. You can definitely feel it. Will post the Dragy info once I get it out again.

I already created a Spark Plug DIY. If anyone is interested in any info on oil or pulley, or belt, I am happy to do that as well....But there appear to be a few spots to find that info on various threads I think.

I have a few questions out to Meth Kit companies...When I get my answers I will tear it apart again and install that. Besides the cooler denser air, and the effective Octane boost, the Meth/H20 does a really good job of keeping the upper engine (valves, IC's, etc) clean!

DC
Excellent ! Wecome to the Stage 2 club! I can't wait to see this Meth Kit installed and get your feedback. TY for the excellent contribution to this forum.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88

DC
Congrats on the new tune! It is by far the best bang for the buck mod on the AJ133 engine. After that its diminishing returns on the amount spent. Looking forward to the Draggy results. I'm curious to see if you will experience issues with your cats on the stage 2 tune. Mine lasted about 2 months and others have had similar results.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
Excellent ! Wecome to the Stage 2 club! I can't wait to see this Meth Kit installed and get your feedback. TY for the excellent contribution to this forum.
Thanks and my pleasure. I have all of the install instruction docs downloaded from the meth companies and have read them all. I have a pretty good idea of what is needed. Trying to find a home for the tank, and will be using a shut-off solenoid, as the vacuum in the intake manifold will likely pull past the check valve. I am mainly focusing now on the right controller, that can use that(0 - .5V) signal from the MAPT sensor to control spray, and 90-degree low profile nozzle holders to fit under the hood (Like Terrance39 did).

I realized I will also need to order a new Intake manifold lid gasket since I am pulling it off to drill it out. And lastly, will need a dual nozzle kit as the kits come single, and I need two nozzles (one for each bank).

More to come.....Like in construction....measure twice, cut once. Want to make sure I get the info correct before I start building...

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 09-22-2020 at 07:33 AM.
supersportmtl (09-22-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Got a few dragy runs in and definitely better, but tons of tire spin, so I am thinking it will do much better when I get some non-slick, new rubber on there? Note that one is "INVALID", because the slope was greater than -1. Hard to find perfectly flat roads with no traffic on them

DC

djyankees31 (09-25-2020), FLRRS (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Time for some sticky new Michelin’s 👍

Therock88 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Time for some sticky new Michelin’s 👍
Yep...I need something for sure. The power is there, and I am going to get closer to 3.0 soon (starting to feel closer to my 997 TT!). I think once I get my Meth/H20 - (Parts are ordered now BTW), and maybe add that TCU Tune from VAP...AND get some better meats on those wheels, it will be there or close....The hunt continues Even as it stands, with the slick P Zeros....It would be #20 for all-time history posts on Dragy for Jaguar. Going to work to #1!

I will likely start a new thread and create a DIY or the Meth (as I get it done) so it is easier to find. I have a bunch of packages en route. Ordered an AEM 30-3350 Kit with the controller I can connect to the MAPT sensor, 1.15 Gallon Tank, 2 X Devils Own D03 Nozzles, A Devils Own Dual Nozzle kit with "T" connector, an AEM Flow Control Solenoid, Two 90 degree - Low Profile Devils Own Nozzle holders, a new Intake cover OEM Gasket set, a 1/8 - 27 NPT Tap, and a 21/64 drill bit...Whew.

Big thanks to Terrance39, who I have been emailing with questions. Also read all of the install manuals from SNOW, Devils Own, and AEM. Making progress.

Take care.
DC

djyankees31 (09-25-2020), supersportmtl (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed 100%!

supersportmtl (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FLRRS
Congrats on the new tune! It is by far the best bang for the buck mod on the AJ133 engine. After that its diminishing returns on the amount spent. Looking forward to the Draggy results. I'm curious to see if you will experience issues with your cats on the stage 2 tune. Mine lasted about 2 months and others have had similar results.
The stage 2 tune on the AJ126 does not appear to be affecting cats.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Same here.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Same here.
Thanks for the input. I guess we will see. Hopefully it will not destroy them. Typically that would be from a bunch of unburnt fuel hitting them. Crackles and pops seem about the same, so does not appear to be dumping MORE fuel in them to pop....Seems the same.

DC

Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Okay...Parts for the Methanol/H20 install are starting to arrive! I am still working through some challenges of mounting locations etc., but need additional parts to get here to verify. Looking like the tank is going to have to go in the rear, and I ordered a sacrificial storage compartment, that I think I may be able to butcher and accommodate the tank (we will see)!

At any rate, I just wanted to let you all know, that as I start the Meth Kit and DIY for that, I will start a new thread on that topicsince this one was primarily about the Tune/Belt/Plugs...and that all went well and is done!

So look for a new DIY thread on The Methanol kit install. It may take a while with my schedule, and as I work through some potential issues?? Hope to have all parts by the weekend. Of course, the longest delay is the Jaguar Dealer online sending the Intake Gasket!

DC

90-degree nozzles came today! And the dual nozzle splitter kit.

madmax1911 (09-28-2020)

Quick Reply: F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!