F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R Performance VAP and other Upgrades Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

You probably already thought of this but if I were going to do MeOH/H2O injection I would try to use the existing windshield washer tanks for the supply. Windshield washer fluid is a mixture of methanol and water (usually 30 to 50% depending on freezing point rating) so the components would be resistant to the mixture and you could still use the injection mix to wash the windshield too. If what I remember from this forum is correct the set up is the same in the coup as a vert there are two tanks. One in the rear that you fill and one in the front that supplies the windshield nozzles. There is a pump that keeps the front tank full. I was thinking to tap the front tank for the meth injection system.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
You probably already thought of this but if I were going to do MeOH/H2O injection I would try to use the existing windshield washer tanks for the supply. Windshield washer fluid is a mixture of methanol and water (usually 30 to 50% depending on freezing point rating) so the components would be resistant to the mixture and you could still use the injection mix to wash the windshield too. If what I remember from this forum is correct the set up is the same in the coup as a vert there are two tanks. One in the rear that you fill and one in the front that supplies the windshield nozzles. There is a pump that keeps the front tank full. I was thinking to tap the front tank for the meth injection system.
Yes...Not a bad idea, and I thought about that as well. The rear tank is pretty large too. I just decided I want to build the whole thing end to end to be sure all works properly/together (not that it couldn't with the WW reservoir). Would still need to get into the WW tank to put some better hose etc., as the Meth pumps are 200 PSI plus...Again, would likely work...I am just going to do end to end and leave the existing WW system as is. And yes, I plan on using -20 degree WW solution, as it is 30-50% methanol ad should work fine. A lot cheaper than the boost juice etc.

I am also planning on using my old switch I had to disable my wing as a switch off for the system, so not on when just driving casually etc...

Thanks,
DC

Old 09-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Yes...Not a bad idea, and I thought about that as well. The rear tank is pretty large too. I just decided I want to build the whole thing end to end to be sure all works properly/together (not that it couldn't with the WW reservoir). Would still need to get into the WW tank to put some better hose etc., as the Meth pumps are 200 PSI plus...Again, would likely work...I am just going to do end to end and leave the existing WW system as is. And yes, I plan on using -20 degree WW solution, as it is 30-50% methanol ad should work fine. A lot cheaper than the boost juice etc.

I am also planning on using my old switch I had to disable my wing as a switch off for the system, so not on when just driving casually etc...

Thanks,
DC
DC
Are you planning on spraying WW fluid instead of MeOH/H2O into the motor ?

Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
DC
Are you planning on spraying WW fluid instead of MeOH/H2O into the motor ?
Yes...Most likely. May vary between that and BoostJuice. You have to get the -20 degree WW solution as it can be closer to the 50/50 methanol mix. Easy to get up here in the Midwest Not so much when I lived in New Orleans or Baton Rouge. Also seen some information on the BoostJuice...Where they skimp on the solution and it is about the same. Note it has to be - 20 degrees WW solution to have this makeup. If you get the lower temps...like -30 etc, they start adding other chemicals = not good. And if you get regular WW solution, it does not have methanol. The - 20 WW solution is about $2 Gallon, and the BoostJuice or Devils Brew is about $40 / 4 Gallons, and they are both made of Methanol/H20/Coloring. In some cases the "real stuff" has less Methanol than WW solution

See below chemical breakdown...As Foghorn Leghorn says - " you can argue with me, but you cain't argue with figa's " ... Also, you DO NOT want to get a mixture with more than 50% Meth....A different animal then...and dangerous.

DC

Old 09-29-2020, 09:20 AM

That’s most interesting, I swear I learn something new on this forum every day. Thanks

Old 09-29-2020, 09:27 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

That’s most interesting, I swear I learn something new on this forum every day. Thanks
I know! Crazy, right? I'm reading all threads every day even if it's not something I'm interested in doing.

The following users liked this post:
andrew0068 (10-31-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I know! Crazy, right? I'm reading all threads every day even if it's not something I'm interested in doing.
Me too, although I am very interested in this one. DC puts so much effort and information in his mods that a 10 year old could complete the task with one of his PDF’s in hand.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Me too, although I am very interested in this one. DC puts so much effort and information in his mods that a 10 year old could complete the task with one of his PDF’s in hand.
Glad to hear it! And we all have our hobbies....This one is mine. (CARS!). And, I try to be careful to avoid blowing my hobbies up! Haha

Will likely have all my parts by the weekend, and start on it if time permits, and will start the new Meth Thread. (Sounds bad)

DC

Old 09-29-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

For the geeks I have attached a chart of the freezing point of mixtures of methanol and water. For washer fluids with a stated freezing point of -20F (-29C) the solution contains ~33% wt methanol. For 50% wt methanol the freezing point would be -58F. One thing I would be cautious about with using windshield washer fluid for injection would be that most solutions have some dye in them and some even have a bit of surfactant (soap) in them - I wouldn't want to be spraying that into my engine. I would just buy some technical grade methanol and mix it with distilled water.

I gave the two data points above to show that most washer fluid you will find is ~30% wt methanol. Everything I have read about methanol injection suggests to never use more than 50% due to flammability hazard concerns.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MeOH:Water FP.pdf (18.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 09-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88

Thanks,
DC

You might have misunderstood what I was suggesting. I would only use the washer system as a supply tank and tap the methanol injection pump inlet to the front tank. I was not suggesting to use the existing washer pump or tubing to pressurize the injection nozzles.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

The meth thread !

Old 10-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep it coming. This is becoming very helpful for my install. Thanks for all the info so far.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:23 AM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering why no one has used straight meth here. I used to run straight meth on my C7 and tons of people run 100 percent meth and prefer that over a water/meth set up. I have read a lot about why people prefer one over the other. Im hoping to go with just straight meth and see where that takes the build. Not looking to push things too far but maybe see if the car can benefit from some slightly more aggressive tuning. Some of us are willing to use nitrous to get power so why not see where you can take the car with just a tune on meth?