F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R value

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type R value

What do you people think the F-Type R will bottom out at before staying steady or going up?

I know it's just guess work, but looking for someones opinion that has more knowledge than me.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Bottom out same as the xkr . prices failing fast over in the uk can pick 1 up for under £40k

Old 12-15-2019, 11:57 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by cab33
What do you people think the F-Type R will bottom out at before staying steady or going up?

I know it's just guess work, but looking for someones opinion that has more knowledge than me.
We're in carmageddon. In general, there is no end in sight. It will end when the reasons end. Just a few of the reasons are
  • ​​​​​​Car prices are through the roof while wages have been mostly stagnant for 30 years.
  • Leasing is the obvious answer when you can' t afford $50K to $150K and you certainly can't risk paying for out of warranty work.
  • The trend of leasing creates a huge supply glut of low mileage, great condition, in-warranty returns.
  • The new generation doesn't want to drive. They already have freedom in their phones. Additionally, they are taught that cars are a source of shame, not pride.
  • Uber is a real alternative to a $1000/month car or lease payment.
  • Over regulation and non-free market misallocation of resources has heavily subsidized cars people don't want and at artificially high prices.
  • After getting used to 0-3% interest rates, rates are now on the march and adding to the existing high prices in chunks.
  • Never ending higher EPA mileage requirements are designed to ultimately eliminate cars by exponentially increasing the technology and complexity required to drive at all.
  • Local governments extract their operating budgets from tickets and tolls, making normal driving unaffordable and an exercise in self defense.
  • Absurd over-complexity makes out of warranty used cars a lot more expensive to own than they cost to buy.
  • All the other stuff I'm forgeting.
So the answer IMO there is no end in sight to falling used car prices across the board. In many cases paying $0 might be too much.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-16-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Where I live, any convertible in driving condition will bottom out at $10K/15 years of age. Worse for non-convertibles, they bottom out at $5K/12 years.

F-type will suffer the same fate.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
  • Absurd over-complexity makes out of warranty used cars a lot more expensive to own than they cost to buy.
Yes, but... conversion kits will become available where there is a big enough market (unfortunately Mustangs or STIs, not F-types) to keep such cars running. When DI is 40 years old and parts are impossible to find, the new tech kits will step up.

Look at the history - mechanical injection. Early cars with Bosch mechanical injection are nightmare to maintain, so people with less than showroom condition cars convert them with kits and bypass the mechanical system.

In 2050, when I no longer can get injectors, I am sure I will be able to convert my F-type into plasma-ion stream injection of liquefied hydrogen with a kit ordered online for only couple hundred thousands (~$500 in 2020 money).

Last edited by SinF; 12-16-2019 at 07:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Chawumba (12-16-2019), dmchao (12-16-2019), GPA9504 (02-01-2023)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
Yes, but... conversion kits will become available where there is a big enough market (unfortunately Mustangs or STIs, not F-types) to keep such cars running. When DI is 40 years old and parts are impossible to find, the new tech kits will step up.

Look at the history - mechanical injection. Early cars with Bosch mechanical injection are nightmare to maintain, so people with less than showroom condition cars convert them with kits and bypass the mechanical system.

In 2050, when I no longer can get injectors, I am sure I will be able to convert my F-type into plasma-ion stream injection of liquefied hydrogen with a kit ordered online for only couple hundred thousands (~$500 in 2020 money).
Or, you could cut out thefloor and go backwards to the Flintstones' technology. History's broad viee shows we are more likely to regress than progress.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cab33

None of the above. Continue to decline in line with their age.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF

I’m holding out for a magnetic plasma warp core but am a bit concerned about tetryon on emissions.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-24-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I’m holding out for a magnetic plasma warp core but am a bit concerned about tetryon on emissions.
You can just call it a turbo like Porsche does.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Old 12-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Irrelevant if you plan on keeping it forever. Not so if you have commitment issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
scm (12-24-2019), Wink5 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

True. bought mine at 3 year old had it now nearly 6 year still smile

Old 12-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

depreciation is and will be significant on these cars. as people have opined before, the least painful depreciation curve might be on the 2015 R's, as their RWD gave way to AWD in the 2016's. still, they are worth less every year and will never be a collectable. my 2 cents is drive the heck out of it. garage queens are a waste.

The following 2 users liked this post by uclabrruin1989:
RGPV6S (12-25-2019), scm (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Depreciation = death and taxes

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
depreciation is and will be significant on these cars. as people have opined before, the least painful depreciation curve might be on the 2015 R's, as their RWD gave way to AWD in the 2016's. still, they are worth less every year and will never be a collectable. my 2 cents is drive the heck out of it. garage queens are a waste.
Although I find it exhausting how someone always seem to find a way to promote Michelin PS4S tires; even when the thread has nothing to do with wheels or tires; I am equally perplexed at how many times I have read that the 2015 RWD f-type is likely to be the most sought after and that buying anything else,
other than a P7, is like setting a pile
of cash on fire. I get that some would prefer a car with tons of power and limited control (RWD) - especially when, based on ownership demographics, the majority are driven in residential areas by people who are not professional drivers, but all cars are depreciating assets (save for a handful of cars that 99.998% will never own) - The general statements saying that 2016-2017 cars are the least desirable is naive and short-sighted. Tastes and preferences are vast - but I would never consider a color and equipment combination that I didn’t like over another that I custom ordered or found used in the ideal
configuration simply because it was AWD. also, value depends on condition, market, miles, history etc. - unless a lengthily hedonic study was performed, it is unlikely that there is an objective way to compare - and even with a study, by the time the results would be available, most of us will have moved on or wouldn’t care. To me it’s like being upset about gas prices, I use what I need and it costs what it costs - it’s not like I can just shove bananas in my tank of gas hits $4 per gallon - and it certainly doesn’t make sense to burn $10 worth of gas to save $.03 per gallon. whether or not any of these become “collectible” is irrelevant. It’s not like there is a governance board who declares them collectible and the next day they all go up value. Nice cars will always have buyers and I have sold a number of cars well above book value because of their condition and equipment etc. Doesn't mean I made money on them, but over time, it has allowed me to spend less. As numerous others have said, drive them, smoke - repeat. Want to avoid depreciation? - walk to work....., but I like knowing that I have the requisite 500HP necessary to pick up my pizza every Friday night - allows me to sleep well. Merry Christmas - when we wake up tomorrow our cars will all be worth less than they are right now. Ha!

Last edited by gg2684; 12-24-2019 at 09:13 PM.
George05 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Default i suppose

Originally Posted by gg2684
Although I find it exhausting how someone always seem to find a way to promote Michelin PS4S tires; even when the thread has nothing to do with wheels or tires; I am equally perplexed at how many times I have read that the 2015 RWD f-type is likely to be the most sought after and that buying anything else,
other than a P7, is like setting a pile
of cash on fire. I get that some would prefer a car with tons of power and limited control (RWD) - especially when, based on ownership demographics, the majority are driven in residential areas by people who are not professional drivers, but all cars are depreciating assets (save for a handful of cars that 99.998% will never own) - The general statements saying that 2016-2017 cars are the least desirable is naive and short-sighted. Tastes and preferences are vast - but I would never consider a color and equipment combination that I didn’t like over another that I custom ordered or found used in the ideal
configuration simply because it was AWD. also, value depends on condition, market, miles, history etc. - unless a lengthily hedonic study was performed, it is unlikely that there is an objective way to compare - and even with a study, by the time the results would be available, most of us will have moved on or wouldn’t care. To me it’s like being upset about gas prices, I use what I need and it costs what it costs - it’s not like I can just shove bananas in my tank of gas hits $4 per gallon - and it certainly doesn’t make sense to burn $10 worth of gas to save $.03 per gallon. whether or not any of these become “collectible” is irrelevant. It’s not like there is a governance board who declares them collectible and the next day they all go up value. Nice cars will always have buyers and I have sold a number of cars well above book value because of their condition and equipment etc. Doesn't mean I made money on them, but over time, it has allowed me to spend less. As numerous others have said, drive them, smoke - repeat. Want to avoid depreciation? - walk to work....., but I like knowing that I have the requisite 500HP necessary to pick up my pizza every Friday night - allows me to sleep well. Merry Christmas - when we wake up tomorrow our cars will all be worth less than they are right now. Ha!
i suppose i agree with this but my only point was that the 2015's were different than the rest, in a way that some people think is better, and therefore may suffer a slightly less painful depreciation curve. personally, i don't care because i bought a 2018. given the same mileage rates, my 2018 is more desirable than the 2015 or the 16/17's you mentioned. of course, mine is less desirable than a 2019 or 2020...

at this point we've all grabbed falling swords and i get the sense that most of us are still happy about the decision to do so.

Burt Gummer (12-24-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I stopped thinking what my 15 R was worth, the day after I bought it (one year old). I had found the "perfect for me" fun car, in the exact configuration that I wanted.
What I was looking for was a car that challenged me when driving it, but still could be comfortable enough to be used on longer Holiday trips together with other petrol heads - or just my wife and I.
I don't use it as an everyday car. For that we have a more practical car, specially in winter time (it is real winter where we live).
In the winter it is stored in the garage for close to 5 months a year.
The above means it does not get a lot of milage, just some 2-4.000 miles each year. Keeping it in good condition (yearly service and good care) should hopefully mean I will still have a great fun car to play with for many years to come, without the extra money a (for me) new car would cost me every 3 years or so.
Coming spring it will be 5 years since I got the car, and I am eagerly looking forward to have some fun with it again. After some 5 months it is just like getting a "new" car every spring, and maybe even better than that, as it is like getting together with a great "friend" again, without the chance of ever getting bored.
The fact that it is the first model year of the coupe, with rwd, just adds to the great experience it is to get behind the wheels every spring.
What value it has to others, I could not care less.
Whats important is what value it has to me, and that is way more than what anyone else would be willing to pay for it 😉
And that is not just an empty statement, as I did get a very good offer for the car when I picked it up from service a couple of months ago. Another JLR customer came by when the car was delivered to me by my mechanic at the dealer. He had seen the car being serviced, talked to the mechanic and really wanted the car. I politely told him " thanks but no thanks", and have not been close to regret it - even though it has been sitting in the garage since then, waiting for spring to come 🙂

Last edited by Arne; 12-25-2019 at 05:50 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Arne:
DJS (12-25-2019), George05 (12-25-2019), JagRag (12-25-2019), Kjamo (01-05-2020), RGPV6S (12-25-2019), scm (12-25-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
+1.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have found that while my f type may be depreciating, the friendships, trips and memories made from owning an f type are appreciating and accelerating at a faster rate then any depreciation. The car is worth more now than the day I bought it and I expect will continue in this manner. I make this statement with true conviction and belief. Those of you who I hold in this circle of friendships and memories know who you are and expect have experienced some of the same. Wouldn't not trade it in for money.

The following 3 users liked this post by jaguny:
Arne (12-25-2019), DJS (12-25-2019), Unhingd (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Watch me

Attention all f type owners: I can guarantee when prices will go up on f types; after we sell ours. This is based on our own personal past performance and is absolutely certain. We have sold original ‘60’s Lotus Elite and Super Seven, E type convertible, several Land Rover Defenders, house on the water in Key West etc. all when they were worthless. As soon as we sold them they’re prices went through the stratosphere. We bought our f type r new in 2017 and guess that we would have to pay someone to take it at this point.

xdave (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SJones
Attention all f type owners: I can guarantee when prices will go up on f types; after we sell ours. This is based on our own personal past performance and is absolutely certain. We have sold original ‘60’s Lotus Elite and Super Seven, E type convertible, several Land Rover Defenders, house on the water in Key West etc. all when they were worthless. As soon as we sold them they’re prices went through the stratosphere. We bought our f type r new in 2017 and guess that we would have to pay someone to take it at this point.
But you wouldn’t have to pay me more than a dollar. PM me when you’re ready.

Quick Reply: F-Type R value