F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I like ur C7 much more so than the current C8’s design and would have no issues keeping it instead of trading for an F-Type. Never driven one but have no doubt it would outperform the Jag. Vette’s do have a connotation around it though...people think it’s a mid life crisis car more so than other sports cars so if you are in that age bracket, just something else to consider.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:04 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Although I can't afford a new F-Type or a C7/C8. If I have to choose one. I will pick the F-Type. I will drive it at a moderate speed like the F-Type owners here in Houston. If some Porsche or Corvette try to intimidate me for a drag race, "I'll say go ahead, you win and I will just sit, relax & enjoy the ride while listening to my favorite radio station".
Don't give up so quickly on the C7 drag race. If you get a later model F type R with the AWD traction, you're in that 550-575 HP range. The basic and GS C7 engine is 490-495 HP, the Z06 is 650 HP. Both of those models are traction limited, the R model launches right now, almost as well as the GT-R I previously owned. Messing around in a street race (and be careful doing that), I'd bet you'll beat the basic engine C7 up to maybe 120 MPH , and the Z06 will just keep hauling a$$ once it catches you at 65-70 MPH....too much launch with the go pedal and they just spin.
Buttt, when it comes to the "looks" component, the R model kills it...and regardless of the stories you may hear, I do know the C7 Z06 quite well...I bought new a '16 with the M7 transmission and an '18 with the A8 transmission. The R model is a lot quicker than you may give it credit for,

Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m really still undecided.

What makes it an even harder decision is from what I understand, the SVR has gone away, maybe forever due to JLR going away from Dino fuel in just a few years. That makes it what, a 5 year run?

So then the question becomes, do I hold the C7 (whose value isnt going to drop anywhere near the R or even the SVR) until I find an SVR with low miles in about a year?

Coming off this C7 GS which is menacing in every way to the R may be just a little too tame. He C7 to a SVR seems a better fit for me. I fully understand the understated design and performance that the R has, but the SVR interior, body differences, exhaust, etc., kind of offers a more apples to apples scenario in my view.

Am I crazy for thinking that?

Old 06-23-2021, 10:20 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Don't give up so quickly on the C7 drag race. If you get a later model F type R with the AWD traction, you're in that 550-575 HP range. The basic and GS C7 engine is 490-495 HP, the Z06 is 650 HP. Both of those models are traction limited, the R model launches right now, almost as well as the GT-R I previously owned. Messing around in a street race (and be careful doing that), I'd bet you'll beat the basic engine C7 up to maybe 120 MPH , and the Z06 will just keep hauling a$$ once it catches you at 65-70 MPH....too much launch with the go pedal and they just spin.
Buttt, when it comes to the "looks" component, the R model kills it...and regardless of the stories you may hear, I do know the C7 Z06 quite well...I bought new a '16 with the M7 transmission and an '18 with the A8 transmission. The R model is a lot quicker than you may give it credit for,
Yes, Sir...there are videos on Youtube, F-Typers outperforming super sports cars in a drag race. But here in Houston, I've seen a lot of F-Types in affluent areas and in exclusive subdivisions, Jaguars owners park their F-Types, XJs, XKRs, and as well, Porches, Rangies, Audis, MBs, BMWs at their driveway not in the garages. I don't know for "display" I think? But if you happen to come here & you've seen an F-Type or XJ it is most likely driven conservatively. Rich oil company executives Jaguar owners.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jh225
I’m really still undecided.

What makes it an even harder decision is from what I understand, the SVR has gone away, maybe forever due to JLR going away from Dino fuel in just a few years. That makes it what, a 5 year run?

So then the question becomes, do I hold the C7 (whose value isnt going to drop anywhere near the R or even the SVR) until I find an SVR with low miles in about a year?

Coming off this C7 GS which is menacing in every way to the R may be just a little too tame. He C7 to a SVR seems a better fit for me. I fully understand the understated design and performance that the R has, but the SVR interior, body differences, exhaust, etc., kind of offers a more apples to apples scenario in my view.

*** OK maybe this will help you decide?

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-23-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Best way to figure out your path is to go drive the cars and see what you think. You can always modify whatever you get so it's more of the base feel that you need to be fine with (yes, you can put SVR body work on a non-SVR.. any interior bits may be more expensive than it's worth).

Old 06-24-2021, 09:06 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I went from a XF-R to Z06.

LOVVVVE my Z06!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JH225: My experience with Jags has run from a 1954 XK120, to '72 XJ6, a '67 E-Type, and '74 E-Type V12 I'm working on right now.
So-all older models. I have also had a Corvette C5, and currently, a C6 6 spd coupe. My advice to you is this: If you have not owned a Jag before,
the amount of service required, and the frequency of annoying little problems may shock you. Even though I have not had a newer Jag, friends have
told me these little ( and sometimes big) problems persist in many of the newer models. To cover yourself, LEASE the Jag for 2-3 years, insist on
an extended warranty, even if you have to pay extra for it. If you run into problems, you will thank me. If you don't feel free to insult me for my
skepticism. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live where I already see a new C7 every other days. Some car designers have said it looks like an origami experiment with too much black plastic. I agree. I know the few F-types in the area. There are one to three new C7's at every cars and coffee here and they don't get any attention. Very few of the Vette club members here like the new design. I have ridden in them and drove them. No passion. Maybe some mods will change that. The F-type still has a vague resemblance to the most beautiful car ever made, (Enzo Ferrari, the E-type) I have an XKRS which I won't sell but I have tracked F-types, R and SVR. Great cars. Little difference between them in my opinion. I want one but my wife says not another Jag. I currently have an F12, 911, Jag. and E63. They are all great for different reasons. I like a little exclusivity. I don't want to see myself on every corner. The older Vettes shown in this thread are beautiful, aggressive machines with character.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is pleasure only and just for a change of pace from Vettes.

Thoughts?
I have had both. No longer have either. You said it yourself, you want a change of pace from Vettes – this is the choice to accomplish that.

For autocross or track, the vette no doubt. Same for long-term maintenance.

as far as cachet & head turning, I would say the Jag for sure.. though I enjoyed the looks of the Vette The Jag just oozed more class. .

as far as hooking up, the four-wheel-drive is great for the Jag, but much heavier feeling, though it has a different polar moment, so you feel you’re a little more on top of it vs behind it when turning vs vette

The jags exhaust is more exotic, though there were points I was in love with it, but then the next moment it was just too much.

As far as the jag’s NAV/infotainment/electronics generally, that would definitely not be the reason one would buy that car. Vette was fine in that regard

both were cars you could go take a trip in with some small luggage, but I found the vette to be a more comfortable cruiser.

All in all though, if you’re looking for something different than the vette, then this definitely would meet that criteria - and be a hell of a nice car!

good luck!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My business partner has a 2016 F-Type R AWD, i currently have an XKR-S GT and a Project 8 and I have driven just about every type of F Type. My YouTube partner at Full Octane Garage has a 2019 C7 GS as well as several other corvettes
That being said... They are 2 different animals.
The GS Corvette will have better resale value and generally be more reliable and cheaper to fix. there are a lot of C7s out there and it is now a previous generation so curb appeal will generally be less. I think they both have similar handling and acceleration characteristics for regular road driving..
The F Type R will be perceived as a little more exotic, will depreciate faster and be a little more expensive to maintain. The AWD is a big plus and definitely makes the car a better daily driver. Driving the Jag is more of a celebration, especially with the active exhaust.

Very good pair of options that you about have to drive for a bit. They are so alike yet different but both very awesome cars.at that price range you might look at some 991 911s also.
We currently have about a dozen sports cars at Full Octane Garage... Several rare Jags, R8V10, Porsches, Vettes... even a Mini and Nicholas Cages Aston Martin lol...feel free to give a holler if you have any questions!
Of course... I am partial to Jags!

James.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No horse in this race but….

Just wanted to mention this was a great thread to read and excellent thoughts and opinions throughout. Can’t say I’ve been a Vette guy but my brother has a nationally award winning 1972 with that monster 454 that is just an awesome machine. Have a pal that owns a Z06 and loves it, but says you have to learn and respect it or it’s easy to get out of control, especially with the rear end. I have a mint 2003 XKR ragtop with 34K miles on it that I love. That rig gets more attention and “nice car!” shouts than considerably more expensive machinery I’ve driven and owned. The ladies love it.

Last edited by ianomalley; 06-24-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
The C7 GS is undoubtedly a better performer but lacks the style and grace of the F Type. Personally, I haven't been very attracted to the Corvette's styling since the 1963 Coupe. The C7 and C8 look like they were designed by a junior high kid with some inexpensive software program who was told to make a rendering of what a modern sports car should look like. Kind of like how ugly Lamborghini was able to make the Countach.

I realize that to some, performance outweighs style, but I think GM should hire some designers who attended a school in Maranello instead of growing up playing with Transfomer toys.
This is it exactly. I am like many others owned multiple Corvettes including the C3, C4, C5 and C6. When the C7 came out I thought it looked worse than the Pontiac Aztek. Way too many lines and angles, the C8 seems to be following suit.
I owned a very high end detailing shop and had many F-types come in and I just fell in love with the smooth design and sophistication.
My dilemma is now between a used Aston DB9 and an F-Type.
I was able to drive many cars,as I offered a delivery service to my very high end customers. I would go with the Jag all day long, for me it was just a much nicer car and a lot less plastic Walmart crap on the interior.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacknj43
My advice to you is this: If you have not owned a Jag before, the amount of service required, and the frequency of annoying little problems may shock you. Even though I have not had a newer Jag, friends have told me these little ( and sometimes big) problems persist in many of the newer models.
Every manufacturer has cars that give problems, often due more to the driver than the car. Your advice runs exactly opposite to my experience - I've had a 2001 XK8, 2004 XKR, 2010 XKR and now this 2018 F-Type. The XK8 needed a new coolanr expansion tank (after 60,000 miles), the 2004 XKR a new oil pipe (at 90,000 miles), the 2010 XKR didn't give any trouble and the F-Type has so far suffered a broken cargo cover strap and a fuel pump electrical connector not fitted securely. So, yeah, if you're easily shocked your advice may hold true, but I think you're more likely to be shocked at the bad advice people give about Jaguars being unreliable. But that's okay, since it makes them the used bargains that they are!

The following 3 users liked this post by scm:
captainobvious1 (08-01-2021), Murla (06-25-2021), sov211 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

My die-hard Corvette buddy (owns C4, C5, C6 and C7 examples) called my F-Type a "British Corvette." Good quip from Tzoid9: "the Corvette is like a broadax and the F type is a fencing sword." My wife prefers the cabin and the drive on the F-Type, doesn't like the looks she gets in either car. I have long-term concerns about the support JLR will have for our Jaguars, while Corvettes can pretty much run forever with great parts availability. My stop-start-starter failed: $1,700 part plus installation and I suspect this special part will be unobtanium in 10 years (good reason to disable the stop-start system). Lots of Corvettes around, love the F-Type. American Muscle Car vs. British Super-Villain.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A Jag is a Jag and a Vette is a Vette. I have a 2001 XK8 in a steel grey, that gets looks from everyone. Every Vette that I see is looking at my Jag. Heck, everyone looks at the Jag. The point is, there are oodles of Vettes around but a Jag is a step above. The Vette may outperform the Jag or sound "badder", but it will never out "panache" a Jag. The proof in the "pudding" is how many Vette owners are "goose-necking" a simple XK8 when it slides down the road. I must admit that there are some extraordinary Vettes out there with insane performance specs, but...

Old 06-24-2021, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This is C8 not C7, but... per last post... every Vette I see feels like it's compensating, and definitely "challenging" our car (and 100% other cars). It's obvious the C8 design touched the Ferrari/Lambo Miami Vice guys, because although I think it's really gaudy, they did do a great job in styling the car how they wanted to reach the consumer, and they truly connected: https://www.thedrive.com/news/41206/...or-c8-corvette

I just rolled 2700 miles between CA and CO and back (US-50 --> CO, CO via Vegas back to SF), and the amount of C8 on the road is astonishing, so GM not being able to keep up due to interest is zero surprise. I saw one F-Type, one obvious racer Ferrari, one Maserati (until Vegas obviously), and M2 and and M3.... but at least 25 C8 throughout CA, NV, UT, and CO. Just wild.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

So I had a 2014 Manual C7 with an A&A supercharger and meth along with a few other mods but I sold it and bought my 2014 f type V8s. Once and a while I find myself missing my Vette for the performance aspect but I would never sell my Jag to buy anther vette. I can’t comment on the Awd Jag, but I do think that the Jag offers more of a unique driving experience. What I mean is it wears a few different hats and it wears each one well. It can be a very comfortable cruiser, with beautiful lines and a uniqueness that you can’t get with the vette. I think the vette tries to provide this option but it’s doesn’t succeed at all. It’s comfortable up to a certain point but that’s it. I find it good looking but you see so many of them that it becomes almost boring to look at. The vette is more mean and in your face but the jag is just beautiful and is , for lack of a better word, sexy. I got a lot of compliments about my vette but the jag people really drool over. Young and old it seems to appeal to everyone’s senses. The jag is also is a great performance car, not as good as the vette but on the street it’s closer than you would think. Stock it’s a bit tame but with a few mods it will surprise you and the only area you feel it is in its weight. But I’ve race quite a few cars and some exotics, and it’s no slouch. I’ve beaten or kept up with most everything I’ve raced except a few modified cars. But I know my place, it’s not as fast as my vette but it still puts a smile on my face and the sound is intoxicating. If it had a third pedal it would be perfect for what it is. The jag has been pretty reliable, I’ve had a few issues but I had more issues with my vette. I know that your thinking well the vette was highly modified, but all the issues I had were pre supercharger. For a 2014 jag with over fiftyK on the clock it’s been good to me.
I still may buy another C7 but I will always keep my Jag. There is just something very special about having that car, and can’t ever see myself getting rid of it.
also are relatively cheep to buy used, I don’t know if you are sold on a 2017 on up but you can get a 2015 or if you like rwd try and drive a 2014 v8s. If that satisfies you then keep both the vette and the jag. Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If track use is part of your considerations, keep in mind that C7 GS mildly and C7 Z06 badly overheat when pushed on track. So essentially C7 Z06 prior to 2019 is not able to handle track duty unless in a very casual way. I don't remember what they did to fix it, but it was fairly late into production and was not offered as a recall.

Last edited by SinF; 06-24-2021 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
captainobvious1 (07-21-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Having owned two Jags and various Corvettes over the years, (sold my last Vette sometime back and went with my current Jaguar) I do enjoy driving the Jag a bit more. That said, when we tour the country in our cars and I'd take the Vette places I'd never take the Jag. Have you ever tried to get service in places like Montana or North Dakota? Dealers are non existent and shops willing to work on Jags are far and few between. Not a problem getting service on the Vette, not the any of my Vette's ever had issues anywhere across the US. (The last Vette I owned had over 180,000 miles on it.)
My current older Jag never leaves the three state area as I now know where the dealers and independent service places are in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

Quick Reply: F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?