F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Only an Englishman would say something so rude.

Originally Posted by SinF
Yes, but...

... nobody is surprised when C7 driver has a mullet and a gold chain.
I am presuming that an Englishman made this derogatory comment. It's totally possible that this comment originated from another country. But not likely.
I have no less then six Jaguars sitting in my driveway, but they are by no means the best cars in the world. I do love the way they drive, but the endless maintenance is exhausting and a pain
in the ***. For the money. The Corvette is far and away the best sports car value on earth. No other car can match the safety and performance and reliability for the same money. Certainly, not
an F-type.
The F-type is not as reliable and certainly fails at matching the Corvettes performance numbers. Yes, there are thousands of Corvette around the United States. That's how Chevrolet makes
them affordable. Even with that said, it is rare to see identical Corvettes sitting next to each other unless you go to a car show. The Corvette is twice as reliable and parts are far more available.
More than anything. I would rather be out driving my Corvette than working on my Jaguar. I don't own a Corvette and doubt I ever will. My life style requires four doors. But I would choose the
Corvette over the F-type every day for performance and reliability.
I am offended by this characterization of the typical Corvette owner in the USA. The smacks of this stereotyping I all to often hear from the English. Your characterization is more fitting for someone
driving a 4x4. Certainly not a Corvette. I for one am getting pretty damn tired of reading this crap. Just imagine what the world would be like if the United States wasn't so benevolent. This sport of
trashing Americans is getting old. I can say for certain that there are over 75 million American that are pretty sick and tired of carrying the water for the rest of the world. Many are very close to the
point of just stepping aside with only one exception, and watch the rest of the world burn.

It's been over seventy years since the Brits built any road car that would have been considered the best in the world. To make matters worse. The Brits only build new Jaguars. They are now owned
and engineered by Tata Motors in India. That has to sting a little. That is precisely why I will not purchase any Jaguar after the 2008 model year. The Brits couldn't build a reliable car. But they had the
styling down perfectly. Which is why I chose to own one in the first place. I can admit that I love the looks of the Jaguars and I like the way they drive. I hate the maintenance issues and god knows it
would be so much worse had Ford Motor not taken over Jaguars engineering for over a decade. What I am realizing, is that I hate the Brits even more. Such a pretentious lot. So damn arrogant and
stubborn, they couldn't solve the most basic electrical issues with their cars. When the auto industry began to embrace technology as a solution to auto pollution and fuel mileage in the late 60's.
Jaguar engineers were lost for the next 30 years until Ford Motor co. bought out Jaguar. The electrical issues were the main issue why Jaguar almost went totally belly up. It was so bad. To drive one
meant you had to consider transplanting a Chevy V8 in the car to make it dependable. The other option was to consider being stuck on the side of the road with some bazaar electrical problem related
to engine management. Or possible an electrical fire. The reputation of Jaguar is so bad that the resale value of any Jaguar is pathetic. This makes selling a Jaguar a 70's or 80's or 90's model, only
plausible if the car is to be parted out. This poor reputation even effects later models.
So, I cannot begin to explain these sick and twisted insults directed toward Americans. Americans only rescued Jaguar motor co. it from extinction. Ford Motor did everything they could to protect and
embrace the unique styling of the Jaguar line. Ford engineers put all their effort into improving the reliability of the electrical system and make parts more interchangeable with other Ford models.
Bringing costs down. Perhaps, it would have been best to let the Jaguar motor company die. In the end, the new line of Jaguars are nothing special compared to other cars in the market. There's no
longer anything unique about the Jaguar and it's styling. I've heard nothing in the industry that would suggest that Tata has done a better job of quality control. One thing is for sure. Tata ruined the
unique styling cues associated with the Jaguar line and their quality hasn't improved enough to place it atop the market with the Asian car makers. This doesn't put Jaguar in a position to take control
of any part of the market. Jag is just an "also ran". What a shame.
Aside from my feelings regarding this insult. I can't for the life of me, figure out why anyone would ever trade away a Corvette for any Jaguar. The value of the Corvette is only getting better with
the release of the C8 and it's success in auto racing.

Last edited by Rearaxle; 06-25-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:45 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearaxle
I am presuming that an Englishman made this derogatory comment. It's totally possible that this comment originated from another country. But not likely. I have no less then six Jaguars sitting in my driveway, but they are by no means the best cars in the world. I do love the way they drive, but the endless maintenance is exhausting and a pain in the ***.
No Englishman would make such a derogatory comment and I find your assertion offensive. But I understand if previous posts have touched a nerve and you feel the need to lash out.

As to the "endless maintenance" - I assume none of your six Jaguars are modern since none of the four modern ones I've had have needed much more than annual servicing. But go ahead and condemn modern Jags based on historical failures - you're certainly not alone in doing that - that's what makes Jaguars such bargains in the used marketplace.

The following users liked this post:
captainobvious1 (08-01-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Syart a new thread

Originally Posted by scm
No Englishman would make such a derogatory comment and I find your assertion offensive. But I understand if previous posts have touched a nerve and you feel the need to lash out.

As to the "endless maintenance" - I assume none of your six Jaguars are modern since none of the four modern ones I've had have needed much more than annual servicing. But go ahead and condemn modern Jags based on historical failures - you're certainly not alone in doing that - that's what makes Jaguars such bargains in the used marketplace.
Can we consider moving the childish egocentric on n on n on conversation to a new thread pls.
I dig the comparisons and love Vettes and Jags...but endless childish banter would be better served on Sesame St. No Offence Intended.
I assumed our Mod Man would step in about now.
Better yet I will opt out here...pls excuse me.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

They are literally just cars. But I did like the mullet comment. LOL We're post vaccine in a broken world on a dying planet. Just be friendly and have some fun.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
scm (06-25-2021), Sparky H (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

While Corvette mullet comment was made in a jest, as with any stereotype there is a kernel of truth in it. It isn't about it being an American-made car, it is about demographics of Corvette owners. Likewise, Jaaaags have their own stereotypes.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP, I possibly have a vehicle you might be interested in. 2017 F-Type SVR with only 7600 miles on it. Black on black. If you are near the eastern central Florida area, you are more than welcome to come take a look.

Catch is, the wife has a new M4 Comp coming in mid July that she is going to use the F-Type for a trade-in on. Now you may ask, why are we trading it in. Short of it, wife wants a new car with a smaller payment, and with the trade-in values where they are right now given the used car market, we can make that happen. Plus, we have a 2020 F-Pace SVR sitting in the driveway anyway.

In any case, just saw this post in my email and figured I would post this reply, as I would like the vehicle to go a good home

Old 06-25-2021, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
They are literally just cars. But I did like the mullet comment. LOL We're post vaccine in a broken world on a dying planet. Just be friendly and have some fun.
Actually, Corvettes are not about mullets (that’s Camaro’s), they’re about mid life crisis, jorts, and white New Balance sneakers.

Luckily as a Vette owner for 30 yrs, I don’t fall into the stereotype.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way..............

Sparky H (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 04:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Jaaaags have their own stereotypes.
I have neither a pipe, nor slippers!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
MarkN (06-26-2021), SinF (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:14 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jh225
Actually, Corvettes are not about mullets (that’s Camaro’s), they’re about mid life crisis, jorts, and white New Balance sneakers.

Luckily as a Vette owner for 30 yrs, I don’t fall into the stereotype.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way..............
I don't own any New Balance or Jorts, but am 60 with a heavy gold chain and a nice collection of Jordan's (and a few Adidas).

That being said - the Z06 is is an amazing, powerful and fun ride with better reliability than a Jag and the used car market for them is unreal right now. Jags are more unique and classy but the value and performance play is the Vette. (another photo for attention)

Old 06-26-2021, 08:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

We Americans don't need any help in stereotyping each other with regard to our choice of vehicles. We all have our thoughts that come to mind when we see a mini van, a Prius or Tesla, a young man driving an entry level BMW, a Honda that has been riced out, a raised "brodozer" truck, a Hummer and so on. Stereotypes don't come out of thin air, but they usually are the result of exaggeration.
As long as we don't use those stereotypes to justify bad behavior on our part, they are pretty much harmless and part of human nature.

When I told someone that I was buying a Jaguar F Type 2 seater sports car I was asked if I was going to get one of those tweed driving caps and start smoking a pipe. I said hell no but I sure wouldn't mind having a girlfriend half my age !

Old 06-26-2021, 11:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
... I sure wouldn't mind having a girlfriend half my age !
I would, she'd be too old for me!
And I for her, alas.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I have neither a pipe, nor slippers!
Well, ring the bell and have butler bring them to you.

scm (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 12:17 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Well, ring the bell and have butler bring them to you.
Not today - it's his annual day off ...

Old 06-27-2021, 09:27 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I kind of enjoyed the rant "rear axle" went thru regarding stereotypes of car owners. If you get on the Corvette Forums, you even get lots of bickering between Corvette owners about what the demographics truly are for Corvettes in today's world. They are truly convinced the bulk of the C7 Corvettes have been purchased by the older crowd, either retired or getting prepared to retire. They are convinced that's why the bulk of C7 Corvettes sold were automatic transmissions (you're in the 70-80% range for the automatics and the premium over the n/c manual was $1800 plus the Gas Guzzler Tax was only on the automatics, not the manuals!), older folk don't want to fool around with shifting and clutches. And trust me, the Corvette A8 GM transmission is not near as good in all aspects as the ZF in the Jag. Corvettes are less expensive cars to service and fix, but that's because they are American cars....German, Japanese and other European cars ALL are expensive to maintain and fix in America, it's the nature of the beast in the USA. Just go to get your, Honda or VW fixed with a mechanical problem....it's brutal!
Personally, I would never take a shot at a Corvette, I've owned several and been happy with all of them. I explained on another thread why I traded my 4000 mile 2018 Z06 on a 2021 R model. Sometimes I wonder why I did it...but then I walk into the garage and see the R model and it's just too beautiful to own and drive, not to be thrilled with it and the compliments I get are amazing and numerous.

The following 2 users liked this post by tzoid9:
scm (06-28-2021), SinF (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

From what I observed during open track days, older/retired (i.e. boomers) folks tend to drive Miatas or Corvettes, mid-career (i.e.. Gen X) tend to drive 911 or M3s, and younger folks (i.e. Millennials) tend to drive Subaru STIs or BRZ.

Because of driver demographics, Corvettes tend to be slowest cars around the track and BRZs most often wrecked into a wall.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I remember one morning in the early 1980's. I was sitting by the window in a breakfast cafe. An immaculate 1963 Corvette Coupe pulled up to the curb outside, It was white with red leather. A silver haired gent wearing Elvis sunglasses and a nylon windbreaker with racing stripes and a Corvette logo on it stepped out. He was probably in his mid-60's. He wife got out the passenger side, dyed blonde hair in a beehive hair do.
I guess they were the perfect stereotypes of Corvette owners at that time. And I was jealous. I owned an '82 Camaro then, the biggest POS I ever owned next to a Fiat 128 Sport Coupe that I had in the 1970's.
I wasn't thinking any derogatory thoughts at all, just that I figured that you had to be near retirement age and have some disposable income to buy and maintain a car like that that was already a collectible classic.

I'm a boomer and retired now, age 66. And could finally afford a car like a brand new F Type R. I suppose some will stereotype me but I hope my choice of a Jaguar invokes a positive image. No Elvis sunglasses for me, got a set of Persols instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
JacksonvilleJag (06-29-2021), JgaXkr (07-06-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I suppose some will stereotype me ...
I will, you're clearly a man of taste - a stereotypical Jag owner ...

Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

In a world where any offhanded and goofy comment can submarine you, I am really enjoying the obviously tongue in cheek and charmingly silly stereotypes of any and all car owners, and I truly feel bad for people who have hurt feelings or take it seriously. I live in Northern California, Marin... and boy I really want to do it for the whole run of Merc, BMW, Porsche, etc. LOL =) All in good natured fun.

And right now, I've a mohawk (I checked, it isn't offensive to anyone), and weird haircut that makes me look like a New Zealand rugby player. Yes, you can comb a mohawk down to look normal... so if that's the F-Type owner. LOL I think the pandemic taught us that what your hair looks like isn't really that important at all. =) So here's to spirited rolling of wind through the hair or bouncing off the shiny dome. =)

The wheels don't burn as much rubber in the water, so we opted for a lead keel on Saturday.
Yes, I'll be cutting this rat's nest forthrightly.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha,Ha,Ha sooo true especially here down south also seen it in the midwest.
Also seen/experience this application ;
C7 = Midlife purchase, F-Type = executive purchase.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The F-Type wins in all the categories except Track .

2 caveats : 1) The C7 has cooling problems that need to be addressed for track (, although the factory may ( may not ) have done this already )
2) The F-Type can be had with all wheel drive .

Quick Reply: F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?