Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
And right now, I've a mohawk (I checked, it isn't offensive to anyone), and weird haircut that makes me look like a New Zealand rugby player. Yes, you can comb a mohawk down to look normal... so if that's the F-Type owner. LOL I think the pandemic taught us that what your hair looks like isn't really that important at all. =) So here's to spirited rolling of wind through the hair or bouncing off the shiny dome. =)
For a while, I had what I called a "COVID bouffant" but when I started to trim it back when it would get in my eyes. When I finally got it cut, it was leaning towards the Johnny Ramone look.

You could grow yours out until you can do a mulhawk!

Old 06-29-2021, 04:23 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagored
Ha,Ha,Ha sooo true especially here down south also seen it in the midwest.
Also seen/experience this application ;
C7 = Midlife purchase, F-Type = executive purchase.
Of course - because you have an F-Type and prefer to be an executive.

I am a 61 y.o. executive and chose a Corvette Z06 because I wanted performance.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:23 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I'm a boomer and retired now, age 66. And could finally afford a car like a brand new F Type R. I suppose some will stereotype me but I hope my choice of a Jaguar invokes a positive image. No Elvis sunglasses for me, got a set of Persols instead.
I'm quite a bit younger at 47, but can relate to your post and hope that people don't see me and immediately think mid-life crisis. Also, I have several pairs of Persols!

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (07-06-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagored
The F-Type wins in all the categories except Track
Entirely not true. I hold my own with vanilla 911s and C7 in my V6S.

They only place my F-type suffers (as in first-world problems) is straight line acceleration, where it is just adequate.

Could I out-accelerate C7 GS? No, but they can't easily pass me on straights as I can out-corner them and carry more speed in. Likewise with 911s, that can out-corner me but don't have ability as effectively weight transfer.

Yes, C7 GS and 911 are slightly better handling cars, but not to the point the advantage is insurmountable.

Just don't try to race on OEM PZero tires and you will see that F-type is very capable on track.

Sparky H (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:11 AM

So you guys really track your F-Types? Surprising...

Old 06-30-2021, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
I don't regularly, but I have done a few track days with it when my race car has been down. The chassis is extremely firm. The car is heavy, no doubt but the stiff chassis really makes up for it. Granted, I have a bit more experience than most on track, but I passed the entire field of advanced drivers during a rain session, 3 times within 20 minutes (average lap time for the track is around 1.45). I was not on OEM tires but the F-Type actually surprised me how well it handles the track.

MarkN (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I've only been on a track twice and it wasn't a race, up in Sonoma. But autocross a bit. Why wouldn't someone track their car, though? I know I'm digging into some sort of stereotype I don't get. Is this similar to the stereotype of Jeep owners not going off-road?

Old 07-01-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

The only reason I can see for not tracking anything is fear of mishap, or perhaps embarrassment. I got over the latter after my first track experience (my bike is faster but why can't I keep up with that guy? Oh, right. I'm not very good.) and eventually got better.

The F-Type is not an ideal track car (weight) but is competent nonetheless. I've yet to track mine, but it's not because I don't want to. There are a number of organizations that run good events. The only "track days" I've been to in a car were with NASA. I had some trepidations because my previous experience was with a motorcycle organization that runs a tight ship (AFM) and was worried it might be the Wild West on track. I needn't have worried. They're quite on top of things and are not afraid to send people home from HPDEs for safety infractions. I've seen several people go home early for things like passing outside of a designated zone or missing a flag.

I'm not sure which stereotype is being trotted out here. There are a few possibilities, but I don't care enough to pursue it.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The only "track days" I've been to in a car were with NASA. I had some trepidations because my previous experience was with a motorcycle organization that runs a tight ship (AFM) and was worried it might be the Wild West on track. I needn't have worried. They're quite on top of things and are not afraid to send people home from HPDEs for safety infractions. I've seen several people go home early for things like passing outside of a designated zone or missing a flag.
I have sent a few people home early during my previous role. I had serious conversations with a lot more!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I have sent a few people home early during my previous role. I had serious conversations with a lot more!
Good man. Here they seem to throw a yellow flag in the third session and see who misses it. The last time I went they were threatening to send home anyone who did. Sears Point, er, Sonoma Raceway is not the most forgiving, one factor being visibility, so flags save lives and hardware.

Not that I have a lot of NASA experience: I think I have one day of HPDE1, one of HPDE2, and then maybe 4 of HPDE3. I was glad to be out of the 1/2 session. I had no power but knew the track from my motorcycle days. Nothing against people wanting to learn, but I was working on different things than they were.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I love the fact you don't see many F Types around, gets a compliment at stop lights drive thrus, everywhere. Seems everyone has a vette, mustang or challenger now, they are everywhere and really get old seeing them so much. As for the C8, I think it's ugly as sin. The only vette I would own now is a C2. For the street the F wins every time imo.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:07 PM

I don't own any New Balance or Jorts, but am 60 with a heavy gold chain and a nice collection of Jordan's (and a few Adidas).

That being said - the Z06 is is an amazing, powerful and fun ride with better reliability than a Jag and the used car market for them is unreal right now. Jags are more unique and classy but the value and performance play is the Vette. (another photo for attention)

Yellow? Ouch. Blasphemy.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Yellow? Ouch. Blasphemy.
To each his own! I can't tell you how many families and young adults have asked to take pictures of my car. I always offer them to get in and snap a shot for them. I get more compliments with this car than I did with my Jag and also beat up more rice burners, mustangs and....Jags

Old 07-03-2021, 07:38 AM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Why ......

To each his own! I can't tell you how many families and young adults have asked to take pictures of my car. I always offer them to get in and snap a shot for them. I get more compliments with this car than I did with my Jag and also beat up more rice burners, mustangs and....Jags
I check out this great message board from time to time and I do see the occasional nasty rude unnecessary replies from people.
I was taught, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, shut your pie hole! Why go there?!?!?!!? When totally unprovoked, does it make you happy with glee to dick down another person. He chose the color because obviously he like the color. It's easy to read into people based on the unwarranted replies they submit. Tell me I'm wrong, go ahead...

Sparky H (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Turko, I agree with your basic sentiment. Unless of course someone posts a message asking for opinions, like "what do you think of my new wheels", or "what do you think of this vinyl wrap", etc.
Then one had better have a thick skin because undoubtedly there will be some negative replies along with the positive.

As long as people don't get personal, it's part of what different Forums are all about.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I've done 2000+ miles on-track in an F-Type R. The detail is that it wasn't MY car. I didn't actually own one until a couple of weeks ago.

MarkN (07-04-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The only reason I can see for not tracking anything is fear of mishap, or perhaps embarrassment. I got over the latter after my first track experience (my bike is faster but why can't I keep up with that guy? Oh, right. I'm not very good.) and eventually got better.

The F-Type is not an ideal track car (weight) but is competent nonetheless. I've yet to track mine, but it's not because I don't want to. There are a number of organizations that run good events. The only "track days" I've been to in a car were with NASA. I had some trepidations because my previous experience was with a motorcycle organization that runs a tight ship (AFM) and was worried it might be the Wild West on track. I needn't have worried. They're quite on top of things and are not afraid to send people home from HPDEs for safety infractions. I've seen several people go home early for things like passing outside of a designated zone or missing a flag.

I'm not sure which stereotype is being trotted out here. There are a few possibilities, but I don't care enough to pursue it.
The other reasons not to track a car is it does tend to beat them up, and could cause warranty claims to be denied. "Mishaps" are a possible worry, but you can get insurance for that (remember that your standard insurance likely won't cover on track).

MarkN (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Turko
I check out this great message board from time to time and I do see the occasional nasty rude unnecessary replies from people.
I was taught, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, shut your pie hole! Why go there?!?!?!!? When totally unprovoked, does it make you happy with glee to dick down another person. He chose the color because obviously he like the color. It's easy to read into people based on the unwarranted replies they submit. Tell me I'm wrong, go ahead...
Thank you and well stated! I don't let nastiness bother me...I love the way my Bumblebee looks!

Old 07-04-2021, 09:37 AM

Chicks and taxi drivers...

Old 07-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Chicks and taxi drivers...
I like chicks and taxi drivers so it's cool by me. I'm sorry you don't.

Quick Reply: F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?