F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R vs Corvette C7 GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I answered you on the other forum but thought I would add my situation. I had three two seaters and needed to let one go to get a sedan. My C7 is a Z06 so that made it even harder. In the end I let the F Type go with much regret. The Z06 was more car for me. The Jag was a great car and had my needs stayed the same it would still be in my garage. The C6 isn't ever getting sold. I have way tooo much invested in it. I did recently return to Jaguar with a 2020 F Pace SVR. It's good to be back.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm just saying that I've never been a fan of post 70s American Muscle Cars, and this new Vette is something else. It's like they smooshed a Lamborghini and Ferrari into a Transformer. I am continually surprised by it, when I see it on the road.

MarkN (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 05:05 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I answered you on the other forum but thought I would add my situation. I had three two seaters and needed to let one go to get a sedan. My C7 is a Z06 so that made it even harder. In the end I let the F Type go with much regret. The Z06 was more car for me. The Jag was a great car and had my needs stayed the same it would still be in my garage. The C6 isn't ever getting sold. I have way tooo much invested in it. I did recently return to Jaguar with a 2020 F Pace SVR. It's good to be back.
VERY nice driveway. You replaced 1 nice Jag with another - you're in good shape!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Ford conducted a new study to measure enjoyment of different activities, and found that driving a performance car ranks high on the list of things that will make you happy during daily life. "This study shows how driving a performance car does much more than get you from A to B..."

I'm on my third F Type and my fourth Corvette, love both couldn't be happier! Note to all, be thankful for what you have and enjoy...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tahoe Dave:
captainobvious1 (07-22-2021), MarkN (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
"This study shows how driving a performance car does much more than get you from A to B..."
Who just drives a performance car from A to B? I drive from A to A, via B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z!

The following 3 users liked this post by scm:
MarkN (07-07-2021), Sparky H (07-09-2021), Tally Ho (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 04:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Ford conducted a new study to measure enjoyment of different activities, and found that driving a performance car ranks high on the list of things that will make you happy during daily life. "This study shows how driving a performance car does much more than get you from A to B..."

I'm on my third F Type and my fourth Corvette, love both couldn't be happier! Note to all, be thankful for what you have and enjoy...

Nice pair. The 66 looks beautiful.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I remember one morning in the early 1980's. I was sitting by the window in a breakfast cafe. An immaculate 1963 Corvette Coupe pulled up to the curb outside, It was white with red leather. A silver haired gent wearing Elvis sunglasses and a nylon windbreaker with racing stripes and a Corvette logo on it stepped out. He was probably in his mid-60's. He wife got out the passenger side, dyed blonde hair in a beehive hair do.
I guess they were the perfect stereotypes of Corvette owners at that time. And I was jealous. I owned an '82 Camaro then, the biggest POS I ever owned next to a Fiat 128 Sport Coupe that I had in the 1970's.
I wasn't thinking any derogatory thoughts at all, just that I figured that you had to be near retirement age and have some disposable income to buy and maintain a car like that that was already a collectible classic.

I'm a boomer and retired now, age 66. And could finally afford a car like a brand new F Type R. I suppose some will stereotype me but I hope my choice of a Jaguar invokes a positive image. No Elvis sunglasses for me, got a set of Persols instead.
Love the Persols !!

JacksonvilleJag (07-19-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:37 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I completely understand your feelings on the C7 Z06. I traded in my 4000 mile 2018 z06 on this new F type R. In my case, I live in the northeast and I was limited to about 5 months per year in the Z06, The rear wheel drive and the monster torque that car had was actually sometimes dangerous for me to drive. Actually scared me a few times, nailing it at 50 MPH in 45 degree weather and wildly breaking loose the back end (S/C's love cool weather!). The R model can jump pretty good and it's way more civilized then the Z06 was....but every so often I do miss how loud and outrageous it was!

Old 07-08-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I completely understand your feelings on the C7 Z06. I traded in my 4000 mile 2018 z06 on this new F type R. In my case, I live in the northeast and I was limited to about 5 months per year in the Z06, The rear wheel drive and the monster torque that car had was actually sometimes dangerous for me to drive. Actually scared me a few times, nailing it at 50 MPH in 45 degree weather and wildly breaking loose the back end (S/C's love cool weather!). The R model can jump pretty good and it's way more civilized then the Z06 was....but every so often I do miss how loud and outrageous it was!
When I first drove the Z06 it scared me - rear end always pulling out when I gunned it. I've had it a few years nor and know it well, however. Amazing power and torque I love it! Guys on the Vette forums all mod them out and I scratch my head - how much power do you need!? Both Z06 and F-Type R are great rides. I wouldn't get an F-Type unless it's an R though.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
When I first drove the Z06 it scared me - rear end always pulling out when I gunned it. I've had it a few years nor and know it well, however. Amazing power and torque .
My uncle raced corvettes and owned at least 15+ during his life. I think 23? He said *this* Corvette was dangerous, and yes... He went sideways with his grandson in the car, a professional driver not show boating... And immediately sold it. It does remind me of how people talk about the F-Type 8-cylinder rear wheel drive, once in awhile.

MarkN (07-10-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sounds vs. Radio

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Although I can't afford a new F-Type or a C7/C8. If I have to choose one. I will pick the F-Type. I will drive it at a moderate speed like the F-Type owners here in Houston. If some Porsche or Corvette try to intimidate me for a drag race, "I'll say go ahead, you win and I will just sit, relax & enjoy the ride while listening to my favorite radio station".
In an F-Type the sound of the engine will always be the best song on the radio!!!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:55 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Although I can't afford a new F-Type or a C7/C8. If I have to choose one. I will pick the F-Type. I will drive it at a moderate speed like the F-Type owners here in Houston. If some Porsche or Corvette try to intimidate me for a drag race, "I'll say go ahead, you win and I will just sit, relax & enjoy the ride while listening to my favorite radio station".
Sports cars were meant to be "driven" that is why they build to with performance parts to those specs. if you just like listening to the radio you might like a Toyota Prius, they have radios too!

scm (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
Sports cars were meant to be "driven" that is why they build to with performance parts to those specs. if you just like listening to the radio you might like a Toyota Prius, they have radios too!
And a bigger cabin to give you better acoustics ....

Old 07-22-2021, 12:21 AM
Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SinF
While Corvette mullet comment was made in a jest, as with any stereotype there is a kernel of truth in it. It isn't about it being an American-made car, it is about demographics of Corvette owners. Likewise, Jaaaags have their own stereotypes.
Well. brother this could be true, but I'm a bit of an "odd duck". I'm a 66 1/2+- year-old White Anglo Saxon Protestant that was born near the mouth of the Columbia River on a US Naval Base in late 1954 (December 1st at 0630 hours to be precise). That said, I was raised in Corvallis, Oregon, and began serving my country in the US Navy on July 19th, 1973.

Because of my service background, one would think that I would be a diehard Corvette fan. You may think that I would swill cheap beer and wear a Vietnam Era Veteran ball cap and run around in t-shirts.
I drive either my '03 Jaguar S-type (X202) or Jaguar XJ6 L (X330). I am easily spotted in my dress hat (usually either a Fedora, Bowler, or Panama and occasionally a porkpie synthetic summer hat). If I'm on the street I'm almost always wearing a sports jacket, dress shirt, and slacks and am clean-shaven.(About a week ago I shaved my head and will let it grow back as the weather gets cold). I defy any stereotype and am a bit different than my peers. Conservative, comedic, and a mimic/voice talent is what I still do when called upon to perform.

As a Monty Python motion picture was titled "And Now For Something Completely Different". That's me.

My taste runs to the Jag XK8 Coupe with a custom 5-liter N/A engine with an 8-speed automatic gearbox/transmission, extra heavy-duty disc brakes, and a CATS shock absorber/suspension setup.

Corvettes are fine (and fun) but I gave up the "boy racer" stuff when was 16-years old. I prefer Grand Touring in an extremely fast Jaguar without overheating concerns. There's nothing quite like cross-country touring in comfort and not feeling "travel-tired" and "road-weary" at the end of a 14-16 hour travel day.

Again, this is just my style.

Last edited by captainobvious1; 07-22-2021 at 12:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by captainobvious1:
DJS (07-22-2021), Dwight Frye (07-22-2021), MV Rider (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great comment, I had a 2009 Z06, and replaced it with a 2017 F Type R vert, loved the car. I just purchased a 2019 F Type SVR and believe that will just make my day, month, and year. Glad to hear other vette owners have made the move!

Old 08-03-2021, 12:52 AM
Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rearaxle
I am presuming that an Englishman made this derogatory comment. It's totally possible that this comment originated from another country. But not likely.
I have no less then six Jaguars sitting in my driveway, but they are by no means the best cars in the world. I do love the way they drive, but the endless maintenance is exhausting and a pain
in the ***. For the money. The Corvette is far and away the best sports car value on earth. No other car can match the safety and performance and reliability for the same money. Certainly, not
an F-type.
The F-type is not as reliable and certainly fails at matching the Corvettes performance numbers. Yes, there are thousands of Corvette around the United States. That's how Chevrolet makes
them affordable. Even with that said, it is rare to see identical Corvettes sitting next to each other unless you go to a car show. The Corvette is twice as reliable and parts are far more available.
More than anything. I would rather be out driving my Corvette than working on my Jaguar. I don't own a Corvette and doubt I ever will. My life style requires four doors. But I would choose the
Corvette over the F-type every day for performance and reliability.
I am offended by this characterization of the typical Corvette owner in the USA. The smacks of this stereotyping I all to often hear from the English. Your characterization is more fitting for someone
driving a 4x4. Certainly not a Corvette. I for one am getting pretty damn tired of reading this crap. Just imagine what the world would be like if the United States wasn't so benevolent. This sport of
trashing Americans is getting old. I can say for certain that there are over 75 million American that are pretty sick and tired of carrying the water for the rest of the world. Many are very close to the
point of just stepping aside with only one exception, and watch the rest of the world burn.

It's been over seventy years since the Brits built any road car that would have been considered the best in the world. To make matters worse. The Brits only build new Jaguars. They are now owned
and engineered by Tata Motors in India. That has to sting a little. That is precisely why I will not purchase any Jaguar after the 2008 model year. The Brits couldn't build a reliable car. But they had the
styling down perfectly. Which is why I chose to own one in the first place. I can admit that I love the looks of the Jaguars and I like the way they drive. I hate the maintenance issues and god knows it
would be so much worse had Ford Motor not taken over Jaguars engineering for over a decade. What I am realizing, is that I hate the Brits even more. Such a pretentious lot. So damn arrogant and
stubborn, they couldn't solve the most basic electrical issues with their cars. When the auto industry began to embrace technology as a solution to auto pollution and fuel mileage in the late 60's.
Jaguar engineers were lost for the next 30 years until Ford Motor co. bought out Jaguar. The electrical issues were the main issue why Jaguar almost went totally belly up. It was so bad. To drive one
meant you had to consider transplanting a Chevy V8 in the car to make it dependable. The other option was to consider being stuck on the side of the road with some bazaar electrical problem related
to engine management. Or possible an electrical fire. The reputation of Jaguar is so bad that the resale value of any Jaguar is pathetic. This makes selling a Jaguar a 70's or 80's or 90's model, only
plausible if the car is to be parted out. This poor reputation even effects later models.
So, I cannot begin to explain these sick and twisted insults directed toward Americans. Americans only rescued Jaguar motor co. it from extinction. Ford Motor did everything they could to protect and
embrace the unique styling of the Jaguar line. Ford engineers put all their effort into improving the reliability of the electrical system and make parts more interchangeable with other Ford models.
Bringing costs down. Perhaps, it would have been best to let the Jaguar motor company die. In the end, the new line of Jaguars are nothing special compared to other cars in the market. There's no
longer anything unique about the Jaguar and it's styling. I've heard nothing in the industry that would suggest that Tata has done a better job of quality control. One thing is for sure. Tata ruined the
unique styling cues associated with the Jaguar line and their quality hasn't improved enough to place it atop the market with the Asian car makers. This doesn't put Jaguar in a position to take control
of any part of the market. Jag is just an "also ran". What a shame.
Aside from my feelings regarding this insult. I can't for the life of me, figure out why anyone would ever trade away a Corvette for any Jaguar. The value of the Corvette is only getting better with
the release of the C8 and it's success in auto racing.
I'm a "Yank" and love my Jag(s). I don't find them "unreliable" but believe in routine maintenance too. The Corvettes are nice, and I like the C8. Time will tell us if they are better than the 1998-2008 XJ/S/F-type Jaguars. I enjoy the luxury provided by my XJ6 L and S-type Jaguars. They run well and have been relatively dependable.

Let's keep the "schoolyard bashing" confined there, shall we?

Last edited by captainobvious1; 08-03-2021 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Clarity
MarkN (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

I too am sort of surprised that the mods haven’t stepped in and locked this thread. We’ve bashed each other enough. Time to give it a rest before we really irritate each other. And yes, I’ve owned examples of both. They each have a place.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scottsgreenjag:
captainobvious1 (08-03-2021), Sparky H (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I am really a Corvette fan - but the quality of my last C7 Stingray A8 was that bad that I sold the C7 after 20 months.

Torque Tube noise, A8 Shudder, Brake problems .........

I owned 1 x C5, 4 x C6 and had never problems - up to the C7.

Between the last C6 and the C7 I owned for 3 years a 2014 XKR, fantastic car. This positive Jaguar experience was the reason to sell the C7 and buy a 2019 F Type R in December 2019.

F Type - solid quality, faster than the C7. On track the C7 is the better car, as a daily driver at the German Autobahn the F Type is perfect.

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by thocar:
MarkN (08-04-2021), scm (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by thocar
I am really a Corvette fan - but the quality of my last C7 Stingray A8 was that bad that I sold the C7 after 20 months.

Thomas
Been there done that, also include electrical issues and a blown engine which GM tried to force me to pay for. First time I ever needed a lawyer. I too owned a C4, C5, and C6 with no series issues with the car or GM. But the C& was not good andGM's entire attitude of late is blatantly unacceptable. They literally lied through their teeth to me and tried everything they could to give me the short end of the stick because of their issues, and this was GM itself, my dealer was great. Luckily, GM's lawyers saw how obvious the situation was and resolved everything as easily as possible (nothing's quick legally). When the easiest and most respectable people to deal with at the lawyers, you know there's something really wrong.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by thocar

I owned 1 x C5, 4 x C6 and had never problems - up to the C7.

Between the last C6 and the C7 I owned for 3 years a 2014 XKR, fantastic car. This positive Jaguar experience was the reason to sell the C7 and buy a 2019 F Type R in December 2019.

F Type - solid quality, faster than the C7. On track the C7 is the better car, as a daily driver at the German Autobahn the F Type is perfect.

Thomas
If you're comparing a F-Type R, compare it to a Z06 or ZR1 and it's no longer quicker.

There's a thread here where my Jaguar XF-R engine ceased at 70,000 miles so it goes both ways. Fortunately for me, after months of fighting JLR paid for a new motor. A year later I sold it and bought my C7 Z06.

Scottsgreenjag (08-04-2021)