F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R vs F-Type SVR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 08:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
For future shoppers also worth noting that the 2020 R now has the SVR suspension components. Really makes it hard to justify SVR cost premium.
And engine, plus the gearbox programming from the Project 7.

I have a 21 R, it doesn’t have the titanium exhaust nor some of the aero parts - but it’s essentially an SVR.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinson07
And engine, plus the gearbox programming from the Project 7.

I have a 21 R, it doesn’t have the titanium exhaust nor some of the aero parts - but it’s essentially an SVR.
Better yet, you can also order it with the old SVR rim with or without carbon brakes. I optioned the wheels but the carbon brakes are not needed at all off the track. The stock brakes are incredible. I do which they had the cross drilled look but apparently that’s not needed contrary to what Porsche thinks.😜

The following users liked this post:
mcollinson07 (12-29-2022)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove it as a daily 40 miles each way with stop and go traffic often. Now I have an SVR which I like so much better. The AWD makes the car so much more surefooted that you can really enjoy it without any fear.

Last edited by madomystrong_2; 01-02-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Anyone know what exactly is different about the suspension that kept getting mentioned?

​​​​​​

​​​​

Old 06-13-2023, 09:08 PM

The ride is more refined. The new R handles better and in the city; rides like luxury coupe.

The SVR suspension is better than the old R. The new R is basically the new SVR with the suspension improvements. YouTube Autotrader or the Smoking Tire for the new suspension parts that were added.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by F-type-r-2022
The ride is more refined. The new R handles better and in the city; rides like luxury coupe.

The SVR suspension is better than the old R. The new R is basically the new SVR with the suspension improvements. YouTube Autotrader or the Smoking Tire for the new suspension parts that were added.
I have seen those videos and I don't recall they mentioned which part they changed or how it was improved, as in, what changed physically.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I have seen those videos and I don't recall they mentioned which part they changed or how it was improved, as in, what changed physically.

They changed the knuckles etc…YouTube the smoking gun

Old 06-13-2023, 11:50 PM

They changed the knuckles etc…YouTube the smoking gun
Thank you, just rewatched that video and Matt mentioned "new sway bar, new knuckle, new springs and new adaptive shock programming" and commented "less bouncy ride".

Wonder if any of those can be retro fitted to earlier models hmmmmm

Old 06-14-2023, 12:27 AM

Thank you, just rewatched that video and Matt mentioned "new sway bar, new knuckle, new springs and new adaptive shock programming" and commented "less bouncy ride".

Wonder if any of those can be retro fitted to earlier models hmmmmm
No way. It would cost a fortune. You gotta get wider rims and tires, reprogram the computers etc…Impossible. Like Matt said, they did factory engineering. Not like modifying an 88 mustang.🤦🏼‍♀️

Old 06-14-2023, 08:47 AM

No way. It would cost a fortune. You gotta get wider rims and tires, reprogram the computers etc…Impossible. Like Matt said, they did factory engineering. Not like modifying an 88 mustang.🤦🏼‍♀️

I’d think the new programming might have done the most work here, Jaguar parts indicates active suspension control module part number

T2H26887

replaces previous hardware and fits all years of f type, wonder if the software is contained within the module itself or somewhere else? It’s not terribly expensive from junk yard at ~200

Shock has stay the same throughout the years, the same part fits all model year.

Knuckle is a bit more expensive, if one can be found at around $200 I’d get one and see if it fits physically, sadly they are ~700 new and ~600 used

Old 06-14-2023, 09:02 AM

I’d think the new programming might have done the most work here, Jaguar parts indicates active suspension control module part number

T2H26887

replaces previous hardware and fits all years of f type, wonder if the software is contained within the module itself or somewhere else? It’s not terribly expensive from junk yard at ~200

Shock has stay the same throughout the years, the same part fits all model year.

Knuckle is a bit more expensive, if one can be found at around $200 I’d get one and see if it fits physically, sadly they are ~700 new and ~600 used

No, that doesn’t have anything to do with the wheel diameters. The R’s wheels are smaller. The new suspension is calibrated for the larger wheels. The brake diameters are smaller too on the old R.

Just because parts fit, that doesn’t mean they will work the same in a different application it wasn’t designed for. As Matt implied, this work is way beyond what a tuner shop could do and certainly way more than an owner could do. Test drive à New R.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am considering VAP for my 2016 S...exhaust and tune...can you comment on your experience and the results?..

Old 06-14-2023, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

No, that doesn’t have anything to do with the wheel diameters. The R’s wheels are smaller. The new suspension is calibrated for the larger wheels. The brake diameters are smaller too on the old R.

Just because parts fit, that doesn’t mean they will work the same in a different application it wasn’t designed for. As Matt implied, this work is way beyond what a tuner shop could do and certainly way more than an owner could do. Test drive à New R.
Eh?
The F-Type brakes haven't changed one iota in the entire life of the model, and I'm talking all the sub-models including the SVR and R and all the brake variants and sizes including the CCM.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Fink65
I am considering VAP for my 2016 S...exhaust and tune...can you comment on your experience and the results?..

Check here, everything holds true 2 years later and I'm redoing everything except the 200 cell cats, and trying out h&r springs this time around.
​​​​​​

Old 06-14-2023, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Eh?
The F-Type brakes haven't changed one iota in the entire life of the model, and I'm talking all the sub-models including the SVR and R and all the brake variants and sizes including the CCM.

Yep I don't think the brake has changed at all, wheels grew half an inch wider?

If all parts fit I see no reason why it's not something an end user or tuner shop can't do, after all the suspension connects to the chassis which hasn't changed at all.

Now if it's cost effective or worth it is a whole different question.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:56 AM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't overlook Costco's auto insurance [Connect Auto, I believe it is called]. My wife [base Cayenne] and I have our cars on it and we pay less than $1000./year for both! Of course, we are retired and don't drive all that much anymore, but still...

The other thing is to self-insure as much as you can. It used to be taught that the first thing you do when you start out is to save at least 6-12 months of income before you do much of anything else. This cushion allowed people to do all kinds of things financially, one of them being self-insuring. High deductibles and co-pays can be easily managed if you are not reckless. And the savings over a lifetime can be huge [not to mention that fact you have built-up a nice buffer against what life is going to throw at you].

It used to be all about saving [and still is, if you're smart]. Get out of debt, collect your $200. as you pass Go, and wait out the coming financial storm.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:49 PM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry, very late to the party here but this doesn't make sense. If we had fancy magnetic dampers then maybe I'd buy all the programming and tuning to unsprung weights and wheel/brake sizes. Our cars have traditional dampers that have two settings, stiff and stiffer. Don't think they changed that on the newer cars - maybe overall damping characteristics? But someone here said they use the same dampers - either way not sure what kind of programming we have for suspension... sounds like just typical tweaks factories do over time- sway bars, minor spring rate changes, maybe weight shaving on some suspension components ( maybe not?), reinforcement of the rear knuckle, modified camber/caster/toe. Alignment settings alone on the older cars can significantly improve (or worsen!) handling characteristics. Heck getting the right tire pressure on your car can make a huge difference lol. Programming...