Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type radiator fan start stop and normal water temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type radiator fan start stop and normal water temp

Good Day Gents,

I was recently suffered a read crossover coolant pipe rupture. I was lucky that I was running at low speed and was able to stop immidiately. After 3 hours of hard work I managed to replace the pipe for a new spare (difficult access made it hard, but I was able to do it with my baby hands lol).

The new pipe seems to be ok.
I went for a short drive around the blocks and noticed that the radiator fan starts at around 98-99 degrees C. I am wondering, what is the normal coolant operating temperature with the running engine? Are there any low- and high- speed settings for the radiator?
The indicator gauge on the left shows mid temperature.

I am just worried that my coolant level will rise well above 100 degrees above and the pipe might burst again (the crossover pipe burst at 6000 rpm, so I think the issue was the bad condition of the pipe was bad and the coolant pressure increased for a short period due to higher rpm).

Can you advise on the radiator start and stop settings and normal coolant temperatures during operation.

EDIT: just to add to this, while checking underneath the car for proper radiator fan operation, I noticed that the auxiliary radiator in my car is dent and will need to be replaced. Can this aux radiator malfuntion lead to coolant overheat/engine damage?

attached photo of the aux radiator

Last edited by ufok; 07-03-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:14 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Auxiliary radiators are for oil or SC cooling, you did not say what you had, so I will assume you have an R or v6s and that has nothing to do with cooling the coolant. But can lead to higher coolant temps, as the oil does not cool as it should, coolant pipes are a time bomb in jags and to your question, jags temp gauges are not showing the correct temps. Stupid as it sounds, they are just window dressing, guess they do not want owners bring in cars for higher temps when it is normal for high output engines to run hot.

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (08-27-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 02:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Omg...

The f type has 4 radiators. 3 in a line vertically and one smaller one horizontal.

The 3 vertical ones are water / coolant, supercharged intercooler and air con condenser.

The coolant system has 2 radiators, one vertical and the smaller horizontal auxillary one.

There damage to the aux radiator as in the picture will restrict cooling capacity and flow and hence cooling ability.

Looking at the state of aux radiator you need to change it asap.

I had a pin ***** hole in my aux radiator and the coolant level fell dramaically.

Regards

Simon

Simon

Old 07-05-2023, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIH-FtyreV8R
Omg...

The f type has 4 radiators. 3 in a line vertically and one smaller one horizontal.

The 3 vertical ones are water / coolant, supercharged intercooler and air con condenser.

The coolant system has 2 radiators, one vertical and the smaller horizontal auxillary one.

There damage to the aux radiator as in the picture will restrict cooling capacity and flow and hence cooling ability.

Looking at the state of aux radiator you need to change it asap.

I had a pin ***** hole in my aux radiator and the coolant level fell dramaically.

Regards

Simon

Simon

Thank you very much for the clarification. My aux radiator is not leaking, however, as you said, cooling will be restricted, the radiator can fail at any moment and I dont want any surprises while driving.

Do you happen to know what is the usual coolant temperature is for the F type?

Old 07-06-2023, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I would get the Aluminum cooling parts installed ASAP!
Both front pipes and the water pump to oil cooler brick too.