F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Rear Camera Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation F-Type Rear Camera Help

So I have just recently bought a used 2017 Jaguar F Type from a dealer. After receiving the car (from another state) I notice that I do not have a rear view camera. When looking up the F Type brochure, I found that Rear Camera (under Safety and Security) comes stock on all F-Type models for 2017's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but should I take this issue to my local Jaguar dealership?

Note: My vehicle was in a front end collision prior to me owning it, but nothing was said about the rear end being hit. Although there are some pretty bad scratches on the rear end around the license plate area (this in fact making me believe I have someone else's rear end considering i dont have a camera there either).

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohwams
So I have just recently bought a used 2017 Jaguar F Type from a dealer. After receiving the car (from another state) I notice that I do not have a rear view camera. When looking up the F Type brochure, I found that Rear Camera (under Safety and Security) comes stock on all F-Type models for 2017's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but should I take this issue to my local Jaguar dealership?

Note: My vehicle was in a front end collision prior to me owning it, but nothing was said about the rear end being hit. Although there are some pretty bad scratches on the rear end around the license plate area (this in fact making me believe I have someone else's rear end considering i dont have a camera there either).

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks for the help.
In MY17, the Reverse Park Camera was not available on the base model, only available with the Premium Package on the S, available as a separate option on the R and standard on the SVR. (per MY17 brochure)

Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In MY17, the Reverse Park Camera was not available on the base model, only available with the Premium Package on the S, available as a separate option on the R and standard on the SVR. (per MY17 brochure)
Well that kind of sucks. Is there any way to retrofit a rearview camera without altering the infotainment system (I already know about NAV-TV and am not impressed with it). Haven't yet found a rearview camera that I liked. If I do go with NAV-TV, since my F Type is MY17 will installing NAV-TV automatically set me up for when I go into reverse it shows the rearview cam? Sorry for all the questions. I know you know what you're talking about as I've been perusing this forum for quite some time now (as a guest).

Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Well that kind of sucks. Is there any way to retrofit a rearview camera without altering the infotainment system (I already know about NAV-TV and am not impressed with it). Haven't yet found a rearview camera that I liked. If I do go with NAV-TV, since my F Type is MY17 will installing NAV-TV automatically set me up for when I go into reverse it shows the rearview cam? Sorry for all the questions. I know you know what you're talking about as I've been perusing this forum for quite some time now (as a guest).
Its easy. I use this one, it took 30 mins to install.
Amazon Amazon
I mod'd it so the front facing camera comes out more to clear jag's wide mirror, plus I 3M double-sided taped it to the mirror to avoid shaking. It records both front and rear views as a dashcam, almost 360 degree coverage.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
Its easy. I use this one, it took 30 mins to install.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLPD7YN..._DHWGDbHRHVYFF
I mod'd it so the front facing camera comes out more to clear jag's wide mirror, plus I 3M double-sided taped it to the mirror to avoid shaking. It records both front and rear views as a dashcam, almost 360 degree coverage.
Item is unavailable, and I would prefer to keep my original rear view mirror.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:13 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

there are add ons that you can buy (NAVTV https://www.nav.tv/products/jaguar-f...rev-camftype17) and I have upgraded to to OEM spec myself (with the help of someone who can edit the cars CCF file)
This is not an easy job and the camera is possibly different on your year of car. It is a case of pulling it apart to see what you have.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Item is unavailable, and I would prefer to keep my original rear view mirror.
It sticks on to the mirror, it doesn't replace it and other people won't be able to tell it is there. Also, the 1080P front and rear images are better than you'll get from a screen plus you can pan or switch camera views by swiping your finger on the mirror, which is awesome if you want to look straight down at a curb while you back into a spot. It's also great to have 340 degrees of recorded video coverage whenever the car is on. With a $10 microSD card you can store more than your last 24 hours of driving. Its still on amazon, along with about 100 similar dash cams. Dual 1080P cams run between $75-100. If I had to do it over again, I'd get one where the front cam can be placed on the splitter instead of built into the mirror unit.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Sign of the times:

Nobody 'parks by ear' anymore!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:45 AM
Received 64 Likes on 5 Posts

Could anyone show a photo of the stock reversing camera as I am going to try and fit an aftermarket one on my car too and would like to see what the stock looks like.

g

Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

There is more than one version of the OEM camera. The early model had a single brown wire fakra connection in the boot/trunk. A later model had a dual fakra blue wire connection in the boot/trunk. I am not sure if there are more models of camera. You may find that the bracket is already attached to your bumper, this was the case on my car. For reference the later model (off a 2017 bumper) are shown below:

Connections on the rear of the camera

Part label on the camera

Old 10-31-2019, 06:43 AM
Received 64 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Paul that’s great! Where can I buy these online?
i read your write up. I’m gonna try get someone to do this for me but use my own bumper

g

Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don’t know about others here but I obsessed about having the rear view camera while searching for my car. I do have a narrow driveway at the side of my house and it all seemed like a good idea at the time.

anyway long story short is that I just don’t use it. Im going by the mirrors and beeps. I usually need to get my passenger side door mirror to within an inch of a concrete fence post whilst simultaneously making sure the rear wheel arch is pretty close to another. It’s only been 3 months with the car but i can’t see me trusting it enough

Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by xrix4096
anyway long story short is that I just don’t use it. Im going by the mirrors and beeps.
I'm the same. I've had mine nearly 2 years and I still prefer mirrors and beeps. I guess I should take the time to practise and get used to it but ...

Old 11-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Luddites!

I will admit, it took me six months to learn to trust the rearview camera. (I still have bad dreams from backing up U-Haul trailers when I was young...)

But now, I know how to 'read' the display and adjust the steering whilst reversing. So I think its a GOOD THING.

The lines indicating where the tires are placed are the best feature IMO.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The lines indicating where the tires are placed are the best feature IMO.
Yeah, I've recently started to use them and found them very useful.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I have to remove the rear bumper to access the camera or can I access it through the trunk area? I noticed that mine looks like it has been pushed in slightly and the circle of the bumper is slightly visible on the screen, limiting the viewing angle. My dealer quoted me $650 to look at it.

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
There is more than one version of the OEM camera. The early model had a single brown wire fakra connection in the boot/trunk. A later model had a dual fakra blue wire connection in the boot/trunk. I am not sure if there are more models of camera. You may find that the bracket is already attached to your bumper, this was the case on my car. For reference the later model (off a 2017 bumper) are shown below:

Connections on the rear of the camera

Part label on the camera