F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type reliability?

Hi Jag fans! I'm interested in the 4 cylinder F Type, but am held back because of concerns on reliability. It appears for this car (and Jags in general) is that they're extreme (amazingly reliable, or garage queen). I wanted to ask the community of their reliability experiences with the F Type, and long term ownership costs and issues. Just about everyone I asked suggest the Cayman 4 cyl is the better choice due to Porsche's reliability record and dealership support resources, but the F Type does have soul and that's a hard thing to ignore as the Cayman feels... cold. I'm writing from Canada, but want to hear all CAN/US stories. Merci.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well the Porsche track record is undeniable. That said, the Jag warranty is second to none. So when buying new, out of pocket repair costs will be nothing. That said, it's annoying to have to deal with reliability issues, regardless of cost.

In reality, my opinion is that cars in niche market segments should be compared on their merits as cars. In four cyl guise, my inkling would be toward the Cayman. Admittedly, I've never driven the F-Type 4 banger, though.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket_Aces
Hi Jag fans! I'm interested in the 4 cylinder F Type, but am held back because of concerns on reliability. It appears for this car (and Jags in general) is that they're extreme (amazingly reliable, or garage queen). I wanted to ask the community of their reliability experiences with the F Type, and long term ownership costs and issues. Just about everyone I asked suggest the Cayman 4 cyl is the better choice due to Porsche's reliability record and dealership support resources, but the F Type does have soul and that's a hard thing to ignore as the Cayman feels... cold. I'm writing from Canada, but want to hear all CAN/US stories. Merci.
Was going to buy a cayman , glad i didn't, love the 4 pot, looks alone it smashes the cayman, see my previous thread,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-loven-198461/

The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
BruceTheQuail (04-10-2018), ndabunka (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

The Jag is much better value than the Porsche; originally I wanted a Boxster S but I ended up with my CPO F type V8 with practically every option available for less than the price of a new entry level Porsche with the options I wanted.

As far as reliability goes; I've not had one problem with my F type and all it's needed so far is the regular, once a year, oil change. I will concede, I don't drive my car daily or year round.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had my 2015 R coupe since new. Aside from yearly service I haven't had to bring it back for anything major. Shortly after I bought it, they did the TSB on AC, clunk for rear shock and later TSB to fix audio issue (firmware update on DSP). Recently had TSB for O2 sensor done and evap canister replaced. Overall car has been running great and is fun to drive. One other thing is to get rid of the Pirelli Pzero and go with Michelin PS4S or PSS... improves handling and less road noise.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I've had many issues; namely a supercharger replaced, passenger side cylinder head rebuilt, 02 sensors replaced twice (once because of TSB), kick plates replaced and it showed up built slightly incorrect. All under warranty however.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I bought mine used CPO. The only issues have been the stereo rattle (TSB fix), seat heaters blowing fuses (fixed under warranty), cruise difficult to set (replaced switch under warranty), tires roasting (fixed with my wallet) fuel gauge drops in direct relation to right foot depression (no fix available).

This car is just as reliable as my wife's Benz and my Tacoma.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

My car has been very reliable. No issues thus far. That said, the dealerships here in westchester are terrible. I sold my last xf because I was so annoyed and the experience continues with the ftype. I was waiting at my dealer for 20 minutes before anyone in the service department even spoke to me (I watched my watch). There were two other customers. One device adviser was just slow and the other was fixing a stapler. No joke. I almost walked out. My 9am drop off didn't have me out the door until 9:40. Funny, I always get an email from the dealer asking me to give them good survey results but I never get a survey from Jaguar--convenient. The only other time I have been to the dealer was because my hood wasn't latching properly. I called them up and was told to drive in. Get there 45 minutes later and the only ftype service guy "isn't in today." Told me to come back tomorrow because no one else could do it. I poked around a bit and adjusted the hood stop myself. Took two minutes.

My Audi dealer sees 10 (probably even more) times the volume, always immediately welcomes me and has me in and out my in a loaner in 5 minutes. Also, Jaguar larchmont parks cars on the driveway all the way up to the street. You are literally pulling into the Boston post road (very busy) blind and can't see anything until your front bumper is halfway into the lane already.

i am up in CT for work occasionally and may just get the car serviced up there. It is that bad here.

Last edited by caviarjag; 04-10-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
My car has been very reliable. No issues thus far. That said, the dealerships here in westchester are terrible. I sold my last xf because I was so annoyed and the experience continues with the ftype. I was waiting at my dealer for 20 minutes before anyone in the service department even spoke to me (I watched my watch). There were two other customers. One device adviser was just slow and the other was fixing a stapler. No joke. I almost walked out. My 9am drop off didn't have me out the door until 9:40. Funny, I always get an email from the dealer asking me to give them good survey results but I never get a survey from Jaguar--convenient. The only other time I have been to the dealer was because my hood wasn't latching properly. I called them up and was told to drive in. Get there 45 minutes later and the only ftype service guy "isn't in today." Told me to come back tomorrow because no one else could do it. I poked around a bit and adjusted the hood stop myself. Took two minutes.

My Audi dealer sees 10 (probably even more) times the volume, always immediately welcomes me and has me in and out my in a loaner in 5 minutes. Also, Jaguar larchmont parks cars on the driveway all the way up to the street. You are literally pulling into the Boston post road (very busy) blind and can't see anything until your front bumper is halfway into the lane already.

i am up in CT for work occasionally and may just get the car serviced up there. It is that bad here.
Who do you use in Westchester? Darien in CT have excellent customer service.

For the OP: V8S, bought new in Feb 2014, now has 23k miles. Had the O2 sensors replaced (TSB) and a new muffler last year (warranty) due to noisy valves. Other than that it has just had routine annual servicing.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Happily, after yet another poor service experience with my dealer, they did send me a survey, on which I hammered them. Got an apologetic voicemail, but I'm 100% sure nothing will change there.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

My F Type (V8) is three years old, has 25000 miles without any mechanical issues. Only had one warranty repair when a sat nav antenna failed at 2.5 years old, fixed free.
The 5.0l V8 engine has been around since 2010 in various Jaguars so is a known quantity, similarly the 3.0L V6 has been around since at least 2013 (possibly longer, expect a V6 owner will confirm or correct me)
The 2.0 L four cylinder is I believe a new Jaguar engine so there's not going to be any reliability information regarding the engine.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Happily, after yet another poor service experience with my dealer, they did send me a survey, on which I hammered them. Got an apologetic voicemail, but I'm 100% sure nothing will change there.
One more reason - which I’ve brought up to you before - to come up to Scarborough, Maine and get brilliant service from the team at Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover. What are you, a masochist?

Another reason is a place I go to for lunch which is simply out-of-this-world! The Cheese Iron.

https://www.thecheeseiron.com

Owned by dear friends, I’ve actually tried working their place into one of our events - including this years - but haven’t managed to do so. Yet.

While on the subject of reliability; my 3 1/2 year old 2015 V6S has been flawless. (And thanks to the exceptional service I always receive).

Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I’ve had mine since last June of 2017 with 18K miles. Since then:

Broken right passenger vent which the dealer cheerfully fixed under warranty;

Gas fill issue;

Constant low battery warning - dealer replaced battery under warranty

Smelly coolant - replaced faulty water pump and then coolant reservoir. took 2 separate occasions to get this resolved;

currently CEL light which my nephew read as a faulty O2 sensor.

All relatively small items but inconvenient because of distance to dealer.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Had mine since June 2017. Currently has almost 46k miles. Issues as follows:

Differential - replaced under warranty;

Passenger side window motor - replaced under warranty;

Terrible sounding audio - gonna live with it for now;

Airbag light illuminated - dealer misdiagnosed and replaced passenger seat belt tensioner under warranty;

Airbag light illuminated again - dealer misdiagnosed again and replaced passenger seat belt assembly under warranty;

Airbag light illuminated again - dealer diagnosed pinched cable from when passenger door was stripped down for window motor replacement (so far no more airbag light);

Other than that, it's been great. Just general wear and tear items - oil change, replaced tires and will probably need brakes pretty soon.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

No mechanical problems on my V6S. Had it for two years. The only stupid thing that happened was a piece of window trim came unglued and it took two weeks to get a replacement part. Then the dealership scratched my car while fixing it. Then about a month ago they put a full quart too much oil in.

So the car is reliable. The service isn't.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I've had the car for over 23,000 miles. Discounting the 3 blown/slipping clutches that they forgot how to engineer/design, I've only needed a fuel filler neck (bad vendor batch) and a sound system update. Much better than my '02 MINI that required 4-5 years and 50k miles to sort out various electronic and vacuum issues. It's been almost trouble free for the last 90k miles.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

The Jags of the 60s & 70's were VERY unreliable to the point that the phrase that ..."You need to have enough money for your own private mechanic when you buy a Jag" was uttered more than daily.

The Jags of the EARLY Ford-ownership days also had their faults often directly due to the crappy Ford parts that were being used in their builds at the time (1990 to 2007) My brother bought a S-Type for his wife that became a nightmare.

The modern-day Jags which would include the last couple of Ford ownership years and the Tata ownership (2008 to present) seem to be the same as other premium class vehicles like Mercedes, BMW & Lexus. Also, the warranty and coverage for the F-Type was 5 years in 2017 so if you buy a used model of that year, you are covered until 2022 or 2023 depending on the "in-service" date. My 2017 was built in Feb of 2016 but not put into service until November of 2017 so my coverage is through November of 2022. This is a second car for me so exceeding the 50K warranty mileage during that period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Cars

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-10-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Even the 2016s had a 5 year warranty and 5 year free service. Prior to that, I believe they offered a 4 year warranty and 1 year free service.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Yes, my 16 has the 60 month, 60k mile coverage including the free maintenance. My dealer also picks and drops off up my car at location of my choice (home, office) and provides a loaner and I'm 90 miles from the dealer. I find the service better than at the local BMW dealer by a significant margin.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Who do you use in Westchester? Darien in CT have excellent customer service.

For the OP: V8S, bought new in Feb 2014, now has 23k miles. Had the O2 sensors replaced (TSB) and a new muffler last year (warranty) due to noisy valves. Other than that it has just had routine annual servicing.
white plains several years ago (they have since upgraded their facilities) and larchmont most recently. Maybe I will give Darien a shot. Thanks.

Quick Reply: F Type reliability?