Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 07:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you
As a new 2016 F Type R owner the link for the brochures saved me a ton of money.
Plus it makes me appreciate the car even more seeing the details and combinations available.
Love the power of this car compared to my other sports car the 07 S2000

I am looking forward to many years with this Jag

Old 05-07-2020, 12:42 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmad.366
No, i got it used.
but aren't these machines supposed to be driven hard? which could justify the mechanical issues
Somewhere there's a line between driven hard and abused. I think that line may have been crossed to have that many issues on the same car.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

1.5 years with my Convertible car 16 S awd- All under factory CPO warranty, at this point have lost track but around the 80k mark isI what the warranty has paid out. New engine went in couples months back and overall its been fairly solid since, (Minor glitch or defect here or there) before the new long block, I had 6 catalytic converter fail and and the active exhaust was replaced 6 times due to the valve seizing or breaking. I have had the thermostat, water pump, coolant lines, multiple Batteries, Convertible top, Calipers, headlights, few electronic control modules all replaced under warranty, I have honestly forgotten many things and woud have to look like through more than 50 pages of reports. nonetheless, I love my F-type, and even though I know I got a lemon it's still my favorite car I have ever owned. If it wasn't a cpo with 7 years of warranty it would have been gone after the first 2 weeks, had couple thousand in repairs already. But if you have a warranty I would say go for it, a lot of forum members drive the car hard and never have any issues, take a particular BRG modded F-type that's known quite well around this forum If the other option is a 718 cayman I would not do it. on paper the Cayman is a better car in every way, but the 4 pot lacks soul and sound and that's what I love about porches. If the option is a 981 Cayman S or GTS I'd probably take the P car as it has the sound of that glorious flat 6 and will run rings around the Jag. Good luck on your search and keep us updated.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:07 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

It's funny how different peoples' list of choices are so similar. The Cayman is/was on my list, and logically, is probably the better choice for me. But as a car to own for weekend drives, logic is only a small part of the equation. How someone adds up the points for looks, sound, cost, reliability, and the excitement factor, is a very individual and subjective thing. Logic has little to do with it, hah. Back to the Porsche, where I live, they're everywhere, and though I know, again, logically, that I shouldn't care what other people drive, they just don't do it for me emotionally. Right now, I'm battling my thoughts between the S and R and don't have an answer yet. My wife recently asked straight out, "but why a Jag?", and my answer was its looks. I don't know of anything else that grabs my eye... that's not wearing heels, but I digress

Last edited by kb58; 04-11-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:03 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Stormtrooper has more patience than I would have

OMG, sorry to read of all the awful things you have had to go through with your F. I may not have bought my 2017 Premium M/T if I had read your accounts of the myriad of serious issues you had. I bought this car used in fall of 2020 with 26,000 miles on it. It had been on a lease. I THOUGHT I did my due diligence by reading through this forum as well as others and the CARFAX. While the car has been terrific, it has not been without its peccadilloes. The blue ambient door/grab handle lighting wasn't ever enabled, the switch to lift the rear spoiler didn't work (thought the spoiler always came up and down at the specified speeds), the tether on the gas cap snapped and the innermost lower door seal on the right side was torn away from its pins. A competent JLR tech resolved all of those for me (under warranty). What I didn't find out about until after I bought it was the Clutch saga. The selling dealer was upfront about having replaced the clutch, provided part purchase orders, etc. Thanks to info on this forum, I learned that the clutch that was installed was the most correct one. 6,000 miles on that clutch and no issues. I'm hoping that the good fortune I have had with this car continues, it's great to look at and amazing to drive.