F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 10:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default F Type Repair

Rearended last October, its still in shop today! Anyone had a rear accident which taken 3+months to repair? I took it into an aluminum repair network place (I chose the place even though it isn't in Statefarm's list.)

The repair shop told me the only shop which can order parts is the authorized aluminum places and not any body shop. It's been rough, they said hold up caused by not getting all parts in, but I don't know, seems like a very long time. Car sat for 5 weeks after being dissassembled.

Accident didn't happen at great speed, didn't look terrible, though knocked out electricals/vents/sat nav, tail light, also scraped. What started off as $5k est now snowballed into at least $21k.

Statefarm is also not agreeing to their labor rates; set a cap on them, even though Progressive is the other insurer of the at fault driver, who have accepted liability. Statefarm now pursuing subrogration with them.

In the meantime, I've spent $4k out of pocket on rental car costs.. If anyone been through a similiar saga or have any advice, would appreciate it-

Old 02-07-2024, 12:35 AM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe investigate No fault accident car rentals. In Australia we have several companies that will rent an equivalent car to you and then chase the at fault drivers insurance company to pay. No help if its you at fault though. They even drop the car off to your home or work.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
No help if its you at fault though.
It does sound as if the OP was driving too close to the car behind ....

The following users liked this post:
Konkapot (02-26-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 06:39 AM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

JLR is redoing their parts supply network which has led to delays in the availability of parts. The delays may be due to that. See the notice on the Britcar site below. The delays have been noted on other sites as well.

https://britcar.com/

Old 02-07-2024, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

I was talking with the owner of my preferred body shop recently and he told me he has stopped taking any work on Jaguars (and a couple of other brands) because of the poor availability of parts. Understandably, it's very frustrating for the shop to dismantle the car and then have the carcass sitting around for months. Not generating any payback for him, not satisfying the customer. Even if it's a smaller repair that can be deferred, there still can be hidden damage with additional parts required.

Meanwhile, get in touch with an appraiser that has experience with diminished value claims. Their before/after appraisal may cost you a couple of hundred bucks, but it's worth it for the independent input. And, it shows you're serious. Be prepared for some "discussion" with the insurance company. Polite insistence is your friend. They don't like paying for diminished value, but it's a real thing, especially on premium cars. You don't show your year/model, but it might be something around $5,000, and the time delay (depreciation) might be a contributing factor.

As a total aside, my Dad was once hit in his Silver Cloud III. When the adjuster called in the claim, he told his boss that there was $2,600 of damage on a '63 Rolls. The boss said, "OK, total it." The adjuster repeated, "for $2,600?" "Yep." "On a Rolls Royce?" "Oh, I thought you said Olds."

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2024, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I had a similar situation when my car was only 9 months old, and it ended up taking 4 1/2 months. As I recall, there were only five body shops in the greater Bay Area certified by JLR to work on the aluminum-bodied cars at the time (2016) but there are more now. They told me up front it would be "months." I think Teslas now give them a lot of practice on aluminum. The one near me was full of them when I had my fixed rear spoiler painted a couple of years ago.

If the other party's insurance has accepted responsibility they I don't see how your insurer has anything to say about the repairs. For mine, the other insurance carrier assumed 100% liability so it was all handled without my insurer's involvement.

The other party's insurance should also be covering your rental car costs. In my case, they offered a "comparable" car from Enterprise for the duration. I didn't want to drive what probably would have been a Lincoln MKZ, so had them give me a daily allowance, although I didn't get that until I had my car back. More would have been better but it covered the NA Miata I bought from a friend for use in the interim.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:47 PM

That's rough, lizzardo. Seems like this JLR part re-work is causing some trouble, though to be honest my saga with my body shop seems to extend beyond what I view as reasonable (I certainly want to be level headed about this, despite the irritation).

I've been given so many deadlines and missed calls and no updates- I reached out to the mgmt and he said he'll keep me in the loop going forward. I hope he will make the experience get better from here on out.

I filed the claim through my own insurance. Statefarm has seemingly dug its heels in the ground about their labor rates. Said they'd pay $60/hr for labor while the shop wants $155. Called statefarm and they adamantly declared it was my choice to bring it into the place I did, but I only did it because they are in the aluminum network. Guy said "work can be done elsewhere for cheaper". Meanwhile, the mgmt at the bodyshop said "the only bodyshops which can order the parts are the authorized aluminum places.

I have reached out to the out fault insurer to present the claim for rental car costs, though they said they (progressive) have to wait for the car to be finished/repaired before i can get a refund (and that Statefarm's demand is "final").

I dont want to be out of pocket a cent for this huge headache - just want to be refunded for rental and that Statefarm agrees to pay the labor rate the shop is demanding... If they're going to collect it anyway from the at fault, dont know why Statefarm digging heels in ground.

I realize my tone is one of frustration, certainly want to be reasonable. Thx for any tips you guys have!

As you can tell, it's as much gripe with the insurance situation ontop of JLR's part scarcity.

scm (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:30 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Had a similar situation, waited about 4 months because the body shop couldn’t get the lower valence diffuser. Eventually I called a couple Jaguar dealers and located one that could have the part in 2 days, Went to the body shop and called that Jaguar dealership in front of them on speaker, they reiterated, and handed the phone over. The part came in two days

Carbuff2 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I had a similar situation when my car was only 9 months old, and it ended up taking 4 1/2 months. As I recall, there were only five body shops in the greater Bay Area certified by JLR to work on the aluminum-bodied cars at the time (2016) but there are more now. They told me up front it would be "months." I think Teslas now give them a lot of practice on aluminum. The one near me was full of them when I had my fixed rear spoiler painted a couple of years ago.

If the other party's insurance has accepted responsibility they I don't see how your insurer has anything to say about the repairs. For mine, the other insurance carrier assumed 100% liability so it was all handled without my insurer's involvement.

The other party's insurance should also be covering your rental car costs. In my case, they offered a "comparable" car from Enterprise for the duration. I didn't want to drive what probably would have been a Lincoln MKZ, so had them give me a daily allowance, although I didn't get that until I had my car back. More would have been better but it covered the NA Miata I bought from a friend for use in the interim.
I had my rear quarter panel damaged and a shop in central wisconsin was able to weld the part instead of replacing the quarter. It was minor damage which was nice, but still 5 grand to fix.

They are replacing the front bumper and painting that too. The best time estimation is by the end of this week or next week. So 2-3 weeks for repair. 10k in damages from two separate hit and runs on my car. The first guy wasnt found and the second girl who hit my car got caught but didnt have insurance of course.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejaag
Rearended last October, its still in shop today! Anyone had a rear accident which taken 3+months to repair? I took it into an aluminum repair network place (I chose the place even though it isn't in Statefarm's list.)

The repair shop told me the only shop which can order parts is the authorized aluminum places and not any body shop. It's been rough, they said hold up caused by not getting all parts in, but I don't know, seems like a very long time. Car sat for 5 weeks after being dissassembled.

Accident didn't happen at great speed, didn't look terrible, though knocked out electricals/vents/sat nav, tail light, also scraped. What started off as $5k est now snowballed into at least $21k.

Statefarm is also not agreeing to their labor rates; set a cap on them, even though Progressive is the other insurer of the at fault driver, who have accepted liability. Statefarm now pursuing subrogration with them.

In the meantime, I've spent $4k out of pocket on rental car costs.. If anyone been through a similiar saga or have any advice, would appreciate it-
Parts for my car took about 2 weeks to arrive. Definitely make sure they can get parts before taking it to a shop. I had to call multiple shops before finding someone to do repairs. I had shops flat out tell me they dont wanna touch my f type cause its too difficult and risky with repairs if something goes wrong and they don't have a lot of experience ever working on the car to begin with.

Not a fan of state farm or progressive. I originally would have 15k in damages to a minor hit on my rear quarter panel, taking the whole quarter panel off was estimated 15k for the repair because you have to disassemble the entire car basically. I found a shop that would weld the small cut in the rear quarter for only 5k which was nice.

Rentals are expensive as ****, you could have almost bought a beater instead, granted I'm sure you wouldn't want to keep a beater around, I know I don't even though its the "smart" thing to do lol

Old 02-20-2024, 07:35 PM

An unfortunate end to owning my cat since June 2019.. After 4 months, Statefarm decided to total her. A rough end to a rough experience. I'll miss my time on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon and all adventures I had with it. It was a 2016 R AWD, kitted out with vision pack, black berry color, black pack, accident happened at around 60k miles. Drove 32k of them as the second owner. Statefarm has offered $45.9k using CCC. Hard to find comps but it seems fair to me - sound in right ballpark?

Here are pictures of better times and yesterday after saying goodbye.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:05 PM
Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

$46k for a 16 AWD R with 60,000 miles is really good for you, that's on the very-high end of all the Rs of that vintage I was shopping.

I purchased a pristine 2017 AWD R with 45k miles for $42k a few months ago. FYI.

bluejaag (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 07:07 AM

Great to know, congrats on yours - enjoy!

diablo2112 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that the car is being declared a total loss, but think the amount seems pretty good. It's enough that you can have another go with an F-Type, should you choose to do so. Whatever you choose to do, Happy Motoring!

Old 02-23-2024, 10:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss. What are those two liquid looking boxes in the rear? How did statefarm come around to total loss? Price offer sounds good, you can likely get into a 17 or newer model.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

The windshield washer fluid reservoir is back there, though those look larger than I would have guessed.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:33 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

When my XK was hit last summer, shop said they could get the engine cradle and other interior parts, they just could not find a fender and bumper, so they totaled mine and am in Orlando. I think they do not want to deal with fitment issues and repaint the car and it is way easier for them to total the car then fix.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Does not bode well for the future (value) of our cars!!

Old 02-24-2024, 08:05 PM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't see how that can be a total, could nearly be driven as-is. I would seriously consider a buy back. Forum member ProlixArgon has a current thread on the XF forum dealing with his repairs of XF Sport brakes and F-types, damage much more serious than this. Check it out.