F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F-Type Replacement

I currently have a 2016 F-Type R AWD Coupe, going on 11 months now. Still love it, but the 'itch' for what will replace it is always present and on my mind. Just curious what cars fellow owners are/would consider as a replacement for it, when the time comes. Let's do two categories: 4 seats and 2 seats. Please, let's keep this realistic and not a "dream car replacement" thread.

I won't further complicate it with convertible vs. coupe or new vs. used, because I go back on those personally and it adds too many variables to the mix.

Cars I've considered already - 2 seats:
Audi R8 V8 Coupe (can't fathom the fuel inefficiency of the V10)
Mercedes AMG GTS
Porsche Cayman GT4

Cars I've considered already - 4 seats:
Maserati GranTurismo Sport (also looked at a MC Stradale)
Porsche 991.2 (probably the base or the S, or a used GTS)
Audi RS7 or S7
BMW M4 Coupe
Mercedes C63S AMG Coupe (or even the C63 or C43 AMGs)
Mercedes E550 Coupe (E63 AMG, when it's eventually released)

Pricewise, I'm considering reducing the cost of the next car in comparison to the current ride because I want to buy an airplane (Mooney M20 for any pilots on the forum), but that's neither here nor there, so let's keep the max more or less around a F Type R price range.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For that kind of Money you might have to look at a BMW M4. I just wish it looked nicer.
You could get into a Corvette Grand Sport and still have money for the plane. I personally wouldn't mind having 30K left over to fuel my Piper Baron for quick trips to the beach. At least in the Vette the performance would be a drop off.

The following users liked this post:
1MadCat (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FTYPER0169
For that kind of Money you might have to look at a BMW M4. I just wish it looked nicer.
You could get into a Corvette Grand Sport and still have money for the plane. I personally wouldn't mind having 30K left over to fuel my Piper Baron for quick trips to the beach. At least in the Vette the performance would be a drop off.
First hit out of the gate and a fellow pilot! (Side note....I lived in Charlotte for awhile last year - may be moving back - and took a Piper Arrow from Monroe to Asheville for an impromptu weekend vacation once....beautiful place you live in).

Anyways, I agree with you on the M4 looks....it just seems to blend in too much to the crowd. I'm not a huge Corvette fan personally (unfortunately for me, as they are great values). How do you like your Cayman in comparison to the F Type?

Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Porsches go the Cayman is a great car that lives for the bends. Pretty bullet proof and cheap to maintain. The IMS bearing issue of the late 2000's was horse hockey. Drove great but lacked power. I like the Torque band to start at 1500 RPM not 3700 and that's what I felt was missing in the car. But as far as looks its tough to say the Porsche is a standout. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, " It looks like a beetle"

The Mercedes GTS will be amazing but just too expensive. And if its like my other Mercs I have owned. It bites at the wallet too much when it comes to repair. I had to replace the rotors on a 2014 GLK 350 in less than 15K.

The following users liked this post:
1MadCat (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding the Mercedes: mine was bullet proof other than the motor mounts which were replaced under warranty twice. It was a C63, and loved to chew through tires and fuel. Other than that, it was a blast. The one thing I miss about it is the way it would kick down on the highway when I needed to get up to speed and rocket off like nothing else. It was much more willing to do so (without being in any special modes) than the FType.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want similar/better performance you could possibly consider a Nissan GTR?

I think they are cheaper than a f-type R AWD and probably more efficient than a Audi R8

I find it hard really to find a alternative without it being more expensive

Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I had to give up my PA-28-200R when I moved to the DC area. Too much restricted or controlled airspace to make it enjoyable anymore. M20 is real nice plane (but they bolted the wings and tail on backwards ) If I ever needed to replace the F-Type, I'd be hard pressed to go with anything else that is currently out there.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I got a ride in a GT4 yesterday. I was told that it was a Cayman on steroids. Wrong. It's a Cayman on crack! Pulls like crazy and goes around a corner like it's on rails. But it's loud and perhaps the stiffest street car I've ever been in. As a weekend or track car fine. As a DD no way - too hard core. But the ride yesterday was a friggen blast!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

When purchasing my F-Type, I was also strongly considering GT-R. It's one of the fastest cars available in every respect, and comfortable as a DD.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

If your end goal would be to save some money, I'd look at a 2015 BMW M4. You can find them for a little over $50k right now very easily.

As for some around the price of the F-Type, as others have mentioned I would put the following up on your test drive list:

Nissan GT-R
Maserati GranTurismo

You might be able to catch a deal on a McLaren 12C.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

If I get rid of the Ftype this is my list

am dbs
am vanquish if they keep depreciating
911.1 gts / 911.2 s
r8
amg gts
mclaren mp4 but potential maintenance cost is scary
f430

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I too have been in this quandary, having owned our F-Type R now since May 2015. Prior to buying the F, we did 18 months worth of test drives and trying to find the right compromise :911's, V8 Astons, Mercs, V8-M3's, R8's et al.

Now and then I go and test drive something else (recently SVR and Mazer GT) to 'ground' myself again and to reinforce the choice I made when I purchased the Jag.

However, having looked at everything currently on the market, I conclude; that you can replace the F-Type with lots of other cars that have better handling, performance, cost etc., but you can never replace or replicate the good looks or character!..so I have stuck with what I have.

The only caveat to that, is if I happen to stumble across a cheap McLaren P1 then the Jag would have to sell to pay for the fuel and tyres! ;-)

Last edited by Tel; 12-26-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Audi TT, Golf R, BMW 240 Coupe.

Unless you've seriously overspent on the Options, I suspect that there isn't a major saving to be made towards the plane.

But: AMARC do sell perfectly serviceable airframes for surprisingly small amounts. Have you considered an F5?