F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type R's Brakes May Temporarily Lock Up if the Car Sits for Extended Periods

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Default F-Type R's Brakes May Temporarily Lock Up if the Car Sits for Extended Periods

Taking advantage of a few brief moments of sun last week, I gave my "R" a good heat cycle after it sat in the garage since late Fall. When I attempted to back out, the car stayed put. Brakes locked. I tried again, this time with more throttle. The Jag lifted up like it was in full power-brake mode on some starting line; but, still a big no-go on moving backwards. After a couple more rockin' tries, a prayer, and even more throttle, the pads finally broke loose with a shuttering, intestinal-ripping "clunk-clunk." Drove around for an hour. Brakes worked fine. Figured the pads didn't desert their rotor buds (this time anyway).

My thoughts. Just before "storing" the Jag, I washed it and drove around the block to dry the brakes; Apparently, not enough. I have just under 4K miles and figure the pads are still rather close to the rotors. (They likely have a high metallic content as well.) So, the next time I plan to let the Jag sit for any appreciable time (not just a day or three) AND wash it, I'll drive a few miles to help ensure the brakes are sufficiently dry to prevent the situation from reoccurring. And, I'll let the car idle for 15-20 secs without pressing the brake pedal just after I come to a stop in my garage and before shutting off the ignition to assist the pads in moving away from the rotors. (Don't know if this last step is a must-do for the F-Type, and I've never owned a Jag before. But, this brake pedal technique is recommended by some manufs (it's in the GT-R Owner's Manual for one.)

If this was covered previously, sorry.

Last edited by deltagroup; 01-24-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Taking advantage of a few brief moments of sun last week, I gave my "R" a good heat cycle after it sat in the garage since late Fall. When I attempted to back out, the car stayed put. Brakes locked. I tried again, this time with more throttle. The Jag lifted up like it was in full power-brake mode on some starting line; but, still a big no-go on moving backwards. After a couple more rockin' tries, a prayer, and even more throttle, the pads finally broke loose with a shuttering, intestinal-ripping "clunk-clunk." Drove around for an hour. Brakes worked fine. Figured the pads didn't desert their rotor buds (this time anyway).
For future reference, in case I find myself in the same scenario, do you think it was the prayer or the "more throttle" that fixed it?

I think it's quite possible your park brake didn't disengage. I leave mine off and just engage Park if I'm leaving my car anywhere for an extended period (in winter).

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-25-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

This is not unique to the F-Type, it also happens with my XJR (loud bang as the brakes release and you get moving) it's the park brake pads sticking to the rotors if you park it up wet or if you have washed the car.

If you can, don't engage the park brake when you park up the car if the brakes are wet or you have used wheel cleaner. I find the wheel cleaner leaves some sort of residue on the brake rotors.

I would never park up a car for extended periods with the park brake on.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

This scenario can happen on just about any car equipped with disk brakes. Parking the car with wet brakes or in a damp garage increases the chances of corrosion forming between the rotor and pad surface. Ensuring the parking brake is off will help.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
This scenario can happen on just about any car equipped with disk brakes. Parking the car with wet brakes or in a damp garage increases the chances of corrosion forming between the rotor and pad surface. Ensuring the parking brake is off will help.
Or another simple solution to avoid corrosion... get Carbon Ceramic Brakes!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I've never experienced anything similar, but I don't let my cars sit idle that long. I didn't read anything about the parking brake in the OP's account, but I agree with the parking brake explanation if it was engaged. There's no reason to use it on flat ground, as hopefully exists in one's garage. It's also a really good idea to dry the rotors and pads after a thorough wheel cleaning.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I know the stall was due to pad-rotor lock because the parking brake was off (only works on the rear I believe), and because of several previous locking experiences in my GT-R. Since I was already aware of this possibility after washing, I drove the car "around the block" (about a 3/4 mi) before garaging it. But obviously, I still need a little more driving/drying time as I said earlier.

Thanks to all of you for your insights. Much appreciated. (And props to you both, Cambo351 and Mikey--tons of posts to check, but you're right there.)

Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been storing vehicles for many years at "my cave" and have never experienced anything like this...although I've not stored a Jag.

I do agree with the others - I never use the parking brake during storage season.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Joz132
I've been storing vehicles for many years at "my cave" and have never experienced anything like this...although I've not stored a Jag.
Must be hell trying to figure out which one you're driving today.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Must be hell trying to figure out which one you're driving today.
The Cave is mine, all the cars are not - in fact, the only one in the pic that "was" mine (yellow M4) has turned into a 2016 type R.

Last edited by Joz132; 01-25-2015 at 10:10 AM.