F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type S 2017 misfires

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation F-type S 2017 misfires

Hey everyone, I have a 2017 F-type s that has been having problems lately.

About 2 weeks ago while driving, the check engine light came on. I did the most logical following step: going to the Jaguar-Land Rover garage near my place. Once the technician was done (took him 1h only), he came to me and said that he whipped off the error codes (so no check engine light). But that the error code was about fuel (said nothing precise, only a problem with fuel) and that he didn't have the time to check it further. He told me that it didn't come back while he worked on it and that it would have probably been something small that shouldn't appear again.

Little did I know that 3 days later the check engine light was shining bright again! That's when I decided to use up the rest of the fuel tank and fill it up at another gas/petrol station to make sure that a bad fuel batch couldn't be the problem. After which I ordered an Icarsoft 3.0 LR (computer to check error codes and other things) to hopefully get a better understanding of what the problem was and to be able to delete the error codes to see if a bad fuel batch could have been the problem (if it doesn't show up again that would have been a problem solved). Once delivered, I plugged it in the F-type s and read the following 2 error codes: system too lean at idle bank 2 and system too lean at idle bank 1 (thus saying that there is not enough fuel getting injected).

I then deleted those 2 error codes and 2 days later I decided to go for a drive (usually giving me the biggest smile, but not this time!!!). Because the car was misfiring and shaking like I was driving a Paris-Dakar, even tho it was standing still (same in drive, for the 2 meters I did).

This is why I could use some help from the community, to be able to have potential diagnostics before going to the garage for fixing. Especially because they don't have a lot of time (overbooked) and in 20 days I am supposed to go on my summer vacation. This vacation is a road trip with the F-type, which is stressful knowing that my vacation is based on the ability of the car to drive normally.

Thank you all for your help in advance and hopefully it can be fixed before the road trip.

(in addition, there is a picture of the patient (the jag) for motivational purposes)

The Jag AKA the patient.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:12 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

How many miles on the patient?

An easy fuel related fix to try would be adding some fuel injector cleaner to your next tank. Preferred cleaners mentioned here are Redline SI-1 and BG 44K.

After that I would maybe try a fuel filter.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2023, 07:56 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

You don't say how many miles are on your car and also what kind of fuel/petrol. 87? 91? is usually in it.

I had the top engine clean on my 2017 (built late 2016) at @ 32000 miles, done at the dealer. A bit pricey, but I'm not too familiar with this process, as described on threads here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-clean-258613/