F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default F-Type Seats

Finally test-drove an F-Type S the other day. This one had the performance seats with wings. Problem is the tip of the wings hit me right about at the shoulder socket just below the tip of the shoulder blade. I'm afraid that's going to get annoying on a long drive. Anyone else with that problem?

It looks like the only way to get the standard seats without wings is to get a stripped down one with no options, but that means giving up the configurable Dynamic Mode, among other things.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I have the standard seats and find them quite comfortable - I've done two 1800 mile trips in it. Only issue I had was when tracking it; the headrests are part of the seat and don't move, so wearing a helmet was a bit of an issue. Had to recline the seat a bit to make room for the helmet, and then it was acceptable.

And I wouldn't call the 'S' trim "stripped down with no options".

I like your avatar - similar stopping distance to the XJL?

Last edited by DJS; 01-13-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta-V
It looks like the only way to get the standard seats without wings is to get a stripped down one with no options, but that means giving up the configurable Dynamic Mode, among other things.
I suppose you could buy the standard seats at the parts counter for an unreasonable amount of $$$ and have them re-upholstered to match whatever interior you chose.

Or debate the merits of the configurable dynamics option here, buy a base and live happily ever after! Without the performance pack, its very difficult to see what you're getting in the S over the base (limited slip diff and 40hp would appear to be it - for which the $12K price hike seems high!)

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
I suppose you could buy the standard seats at the parts counter for an unreasonable amount of $$$ and have them re-upholstered to match whatever interior you chose.

Or debate the merits of the configurable dynamics option here, buy a base and live happily ever after! Without the performance pack, its very difficult to see what you're getting in the S over the base (limited slip diff and 40hp would appear to be it - for which the $12K price hike seems high!)
That is precisely the conclusion I came to, when I decided to go to dealers and start negotiating on a V8S, but I quickly discovered I liked handling feel of the V6S better when I drove it. I also drove the base, did an informal cost-benefit analysis, and I bought the base after coming to the conclusion that it was a real bargain without surrendering any fun. I haven't regretted that decision for an instant.

I also felt the base seats were more comfortable and a better fit for me.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I also felt the base seats were more comfortable and a better fit for me.
Do you have the suedecloth inserts on yours? If so how do you like that material?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Have F type with performance pack. Seats are a little harder to get into than my previous Merc but the are effective. The colors I liked only came on these seats. I have memory set to go back when exiting and then to go forward after entering. Limited slip and HP and active suspension are worth it, as is performance pack with larger brakes and active exhaust . I think this is the good middle for the car, like the V8 but as I learned with AMG Merc sometimes it is too much.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Do you have the suedecloth inserts on yours? If so how do you like that material?
Yes, love the suede inserts, which are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Mine is Cirrus leather and suede, and after 8 months, they look new. The suede is very easy to spot clean, and I just use "Resolve Upholstery Cleaner" available at any supermarket.

The following users liked this post:
mshedden (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be so kind as to swap seats with anyone that has black performance seats and would like the "base" black leather seats. I prefer the performance seats and would love to have them! Ok I will slip back into reality now!!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The lack of an LSD is a deal-breaker for me.

Originally Posted by ftypeguy
I will be so kind as to swap seats with anyone that has black performance seats and would like the "base" black leather seats. I prefer the performance seats and would love to have them! Ok I will slip back into reality now!!
Actually, I wouldn't mind that. If the performance seats annoyed me enough and the electricals were compatible.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I looked into it and everything is pretty much compatible all the wiring is plug and play and the mounts are the same.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

You'll quickly realise how heavy the performance seats are if you try lifting them. I have not, but I note that it took two people to lift one out of an F-type in the workshop of my local dealership...