Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type seats- Wiring diagrams or wiring recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F type seats- Wiring diagrams or wiring recommendations

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help direct me into getting some 2018 f type leather/alcantara seats into my Aston Martin vantage.

I know the looms won’t match up so I am looking to understand the function of the seat wires so that I may construct a separate button control console.

Would anyone be able direct me towards any 2018 wiring diagrams, for the model numbers in the photos below?

Seat model as we as seat circuit board

I am supposing this is where the seat connects to the cars original loom

The circuit board under the seat

The two clips that plug into the circuit board under the seat

Side view of the base

Old 12-27-2021, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Here are two docs you can use on my shared drive. One is the Wiring Diagram for the Seat Heater Wiring. The other is ~400 Page PDF on all aspects of the seats. in the F-Type. I put them there temporarily so download them as I will delete them at some point.

DC

Wiring Diagram

Seat Info

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
Carbuff2 (12-28-2021), Intelligiants (12-27-2021), Mjensen2k (10-04-2023)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:57 PM

thank you ;-)

Old 12-28-2021, 01:24 AM
Default Question about airbag.

Would anyone know were to go to get the resistance set on the seat airbags?

Old 10-04-2023, 11:49 AM
Default Could you repost?

Originally Posted by Therock88
Here are two docs you can use on my shared drive. One is the Wiring Diagram for the Seat Heater Wiring. The other is ~400 Page PDF on all aspects of the seats. in the F-Type. I put them there temporarily so download them as I will delete them at some point.

DC

Wiring Diagram

Seat Info
I'd like to mount a 2017 F-type seat onto my sim rig. I have the seat and the corresponding door controller panel.

I can make my own harness if I can get the diagram/specs.

Thank you for the consideration.

MJ

Old 10-04-2023, 12:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Here's seat wiring...
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8fk2c...anceiutiz&dl=0

...extracted from this workshop manual...
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o6d1x...k7yc02pyx&dl=0

You might take a look in the workshop manual, under Body, Seating. It discusses a number of topics, including airbags. Note there are two styles of seats, Sport and Performance.

Good luck! Should be a fun project if you can make it work.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
bk000 (10-04-2023), Mjensen2k (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 04:52 AM
Default Thanks!

Thank you so much!

I currently have a sim rig with a solid start mover but I'll go over the weight limit with this start (and my ample belly). My plan is to switch the motion out to a 4 point system that moves the whole rig and can handle my weight with this seat.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!

Old 10-05-2023, 05:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjensen2k
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!
"Never knowingly underengineered"

The following users liked this post:
Mjensen2k (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 07:23 AM
Default Pictures/drawings?

I've been through the wiring diagrams, and tried to find info in that massive manual and see that it should be pretty reasonable to wire up, but am missing a drawing or something which tells me which pins are which.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Default Continued

I've been through the wiring diagrams, and tried to find info in that massive manual and see that it should be pretty reasonable to wire up, but am missing a drawing or something which tells me which pins are which.
​​​​​​(​I didn't mean to post already)

4 pins on the switch pack. I don't know which side is pin 1. Can someone help me out?

I have a 360W 12V power supply on the way and expect to connect it to pin 1 when I figure that out and to the control module. From what I gather, is just those 2 points, yeah?

Is the Lin wire anything special?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2023, 11:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Well...

I spent a while going through the wiring diagrams for the whole car (I'm a retired EE). First, here are a few more documents, which won't help you much.

This one defines what all the abbreviations mean on the wiring diagram. Unfortunately, it describes how to use their online system to get face views of connectors to view pinouts. I don't have access to that, and don't recall seeing those.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x26e91fmqu...ns%20.pdf?dl=0

This one has a map of all the vehicle networks in the car (which is pretty out-of-control.) It shows that the door switchpacks connect directly to the seat controllers via a dedicated LIN link (a digital data bus.) That's good. It also shows that the seat controllers are on a MS CAN (medium-speed CAN bus, a different digital data bus) along with a number of other modules. Whether the seat module will work without the rest of the car on the MS CAN, I have no idea.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6fp29b26h...works.pdf?dl=0

This one shows the physical wiring harness ("loom") in the car, and the physical location of all the connectors. Probably is of no use to you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gff5jjwoq...rence.pdf?dl=0

The wire 'LOGIC FEED' is simply the battery voltage, via a lower-amperage fuse than other things. In your application, you can tie the various VBATT, LOGIC FEED, 12V etc together to your power supply. And tie all the grounds together.

'LIN' should be a direct connection from the door switchpack to the seat controller. It isn't shown as a twisted pair, as most of the data busses are.

The wiring diagram is for LHD and uses 'right' and 'left'. The network diagram uses driver (DSM, Driver Seat Module), and passenger (PSM). While the network diagram shows the driver switchpack LIN connecting only to the driver seat controller, the wiring diagram shows the driver's side LIN also connects to some of the climate control stuff.

You may ultimately find that you can't make the switchpack and controller work together. If not, the last resort would probably be to remove the seat controller and come up with some higher-current switches to directly switch 12V into the seat motors. You'd lose the position sensors that stop the motors at the limits, so you'd have to be careful, presumably.

Old 10-08-2023, 01:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,108 Posts

​​​​​​(​I didn't mean to post already)
FYI: You know you can edit your last post by clicking on the Edit button at bottom right of the post?

Old 10-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Default Yeah...

Originally Posted by scm
FYI: You know you can edit your last post by clicking on the Edit button at bottom right of the post?
Not sure what I was thinking. Yes indeed.

Old 10-09-2023, 03:08 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by DJS
Well...

I spent a while going through the wiring diagrams for the whole car (I'm a retired EE). First, here are a few more documents, which won't help you much.

This one defines what all the abbreviations mean on the wiring diagram. Unfortunately, it describes how to use their online system to get face views of connectors to view pinouts. I don't have access to that, and don't recall seeing those.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x26e91fmqu...ns%20.pdf?dl=0

This one has a map of all the vehicle networks in the car (which is pretty out-of-control.) It shows that the door switchpacks connect directly to the seat controllers via a dedicated LIN link (a digital data bus.) That's good. It also shows that the seat controllers are on a MS CAN (medium-speed CAN bus, a different digital data bus) along with a number of other modules. Whether the seat module will work without the rest of the car on the MS CAN, I have no idea.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6fp29b26h...works.pdf?dl=0

This one shows the physical wiring harness ("loom") in the car, and the physical location of all the connectors. Probably is of no use to you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gff5jjwoq...rence.pdf?dl=0

The wire 'LOGIC FEED' is simply the battery voltage, via a lower-amperage fuse than other things. In your application, you can tie the various VBATT, LOGIC FEED, 12V etc together to your power supply. And tie all the grounds together.

'LIN' should be a direct connection from the door switchpack to the seat controller. It isn't shown as a twisted pair, as most of the data busses are.

The wiring diagram is for LHD and uses 'right' and 'left'. The network diagram uses driver (DSM, Driver Seat Module), and passenger (PSM). While the network diagram shows the driver switchpack LIN connecting only to the driver seat controller, the wiring diagram shows the driver's side LIN also connects to some of the climate control stuff.

You may ultimately find that you can't make the switchpack and controller work together. If not, the last resort would probably be to remove the seat controller and come up with some higher-current switches to directly switch 12V into the seat motors. You'd lose the position sensors that stop the motors at the limits, so you'd have to be careful, presumably.

Left is power, right is small signal.

Small signal, 22 pin, I believe.

12 pin power.

Old 10-09-2023, 06:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

The wiring diagram includes color codes for each wire, you should be able to sort it out from that. Didn’t realize you had a harness.

Old 10-09-2023, 06:52 PM
Default Good news!

It works!

3 power grounds and 1 logic ground (all black and gray).

+12V to the two power lines and the green-white Logic Feed line.

+12, ground and LIM to the switchbox. +12 is pin 1 which is on the higher side, counting down to pin 3 for LIM and pin 4 for ground.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:25 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Great, are the connectors the same type of metal?
Mixing metals can cause corrosion, Lotus mixed the metal on the engine harness connectors and had all kinds of issues. Don't want you to see the same type of issues down the road.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Nice!

The following users liked this post:
Mjensen2k (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by randyb
Great, are the connectors the same type of metal?
Mixing metals can cause corrosion, Lotus mixed the metal on the engine harness connectors and had all kinds of issues. Don't want you to see the same type of issues down the road.
Thanks for the thought! I did all the small signal stuff with mechanical connectors and heat shrink to hold them together. I used a power cord for the others and soldered them.

I'll keep that in mind if I run into trouble. If so, I'll just switch power over to mechanical connections too.

I forgot to mention about the lack of sensor. I cannot hold the switches. When I press one it just moves a bit, so I need to sorta push push push push...

But I'm ok with that. It stores memory settings but won't go all the because of the sensors. I was going it would work but no.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:08 AM
Default Explain better pls

It works!

3 power grounds and 1 logic ground (all black and gray).

+12V to the two power lines and the green-white Logic Feed line.

+12, ground and LIM to the switchbox. +12 is pin 1 which is on the higher side, counting down to pin 3 for LIM and pin 4 for ground.

Sorry Mjensen2k can i ask you to explain better how to connect power supply 12v to those connector to move seat motors?

Quick Reply: F type seats- Wiring diagrams or wiring recommendations