F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Short People Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type Short People Experience

Hello everybody, I’m in the market for an f-type convertible, I am reasonably short at 5’ 5”. And I was wondering what othe short forum members have experienced with this car. My main concerns are visibility and comfort.

Thanks, Daniel

Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielme
Hello everybody, I’m in the market for an f-type convertible, I am reasonably short at 5’ 5”. And I was wondering what othe short forum members have experienced with this car. My main concerns are visibility and comfort.

Thanks, Daniel
My wife is around that height and drives my F Type convertible without any problems.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ek993
My wife is around that height and drives my F Type convertible without any problems.
Are you in a coupe or convertible, because I’m also considering the coupe.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Are you looking at the sport seats, the performance seats or the P400 seats? The performance seats have a very substantial elevation adjustment, so 5'-5" should be a non-issue for proper seat adjustment.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Are you looking at the sport seats, the performance seats or the P400 seats? The performance seats have a very substantial elevation adjustment, so 5'-5" should be a non-issue for proper seat adjustment.
I’m shopping around the used market, seeing as the sport seats are the cheaper option those are probably going to be the ones.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

I’m shopping around the used market, seeing as the sport seats are the cheaper option those are probably going to be the ones.
Someone with those seats will have to comment on the adjustability.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I am 5-6 and have no problems with comfort or visibility. In fact, being short makes it easier to get in with the seat in the driving position, although I do have one of the memories programmed for most of the way back for easy exit and entrance. I have a coupe. Note that the visibility over my right shoulder is terrible due to design...you must use your mirrors. In short, you won't have a problem because of your height.
Larry

Old 04-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Wife is 5'0" tall and has no issues as the seats with 14-way (or whatever) adjustments can be raised plenty high enough and the steering wheel can be fully retracted into the dash so that she doesn't worry about it being too close.

The only thing you need to ENSURE is that you do NOT buy one without a rear view camera as she could not see well over the deck of the convertible we test drove and the coupe is pretty restricted so in our case we felt that the VISION PACKAGE was a mandatory option & would recommend the same for you

Old 04-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am 5'7" and my wife is 5' even. Comfort and visibility are perfect for us vertically challenged people.
We have a convertible.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by yell03
I am 5'7" and my wife is 5' even. Comfort and visibility are perfect for us vertically challenged people.
We have a convertible.
did your height in anyway influence you to purchase the convertible, because I am leaning towards the coupe due to luggage space. Is visibility in the coupe reall that atrocious?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Wife is 5'0" tall and has no issues as the seats with 14-way (or whatever) adjustments can be raised plenty high enough and the steering wheel can be fully retracted into the dash so that she doesn't worry about it being too close.

The only thing you need to ENSURE is that you do NOT buy one without a rear view camera as she could not see well over the deck of the convertible we test drove and the coupe is pretty restricted so in our case we felt that the VISION PACKAGE was a mandatory option & would recommend the same for you
in terms of overall visibility would you choose a coupe or convertible?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm 5'4" (on a good day) - coupe with performance seats (the ones with the holes) .... no issues whatsoever

Old 04-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

I am reasonably short at 5’ 5”. And I was wondering what othe short forum members have experienced with this car.
I am slightly over 5' 5" (wouldn't call myself short... just average) and have no issues with visibility and comfort in my '15 F-Type R. One of my buddies who is ~6' 3", but with longer legs and shorter torso has some issues getting comfortable.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

did your height in anyway influence you to purchase the convertible, because I am leaning towards the coupe due to luggage space. Is visibility in the coupe reall that atrocious?
I actually went in looking for a coupe, but the convertible was the right price and once I drove with the top down I was sold.
I also drove a coupe, visibility and comfort were fine also.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:56 PM

I’m really enticed by the 2014 convertible pricing (rwd) do you think the AWD coupes will follow the same depreciation curve as the rwd convertibles. Maybe even seeing them at $35,000 in two years or so.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

With the top up, I think the vert is worse than the coupe for visibility. Top down obviously not an issue in the vert. Vision pack needed on the coupe for sure. Blind spot detection and back up camera help a lot. Test drive both to see what works for you. Coupe does have more space.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-15-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

As long as you get the vision package with the backup camera, either is fine. I originally wanted a ragtop but once I realized that the panoramic roof gave the great visibility I warmed up to the coupe. I would not have bought the coupe if it didn't have the panoramic roof.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

When you are testing the coupe and the vert, don't forget to note the A pillars they are quite thick and long and sloped and when coupled with the side view mirror housings can really be an obstacle. The side panels on the vert are extremely long and the rear window is not expansive. The waistline is rather high. I don't think the height of the driver is as important as the inherent limits of the design. I find myself being careful when selecting parking spots knowing I am going to be challenged getting out of most spots. Sometimes I even resort to just putting the top down so I can see. I have an early F, <10,000 and it is devoid of the assists that have become common.

As to the seats, I found the sport seats easier to get in and out of then the performance seats. My wife was very much of that opinion. She found the performance seats much to cosseting.

My free advice is to spend what it takes to get all the tech assists you can. At the end of the day its a dynamite car. A pleasure to own and drive. It is what it is without compromise or apology. You take it on its own terms.

Last edited by Suaro; 04-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

The vert has better visibility with the top down, but worse with the top up. The vision pack is a must on either.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

My Wife is 5’ and has zero problems, it’s her daily Driver. Her only complaint is the little Sun Visor. The plus side is She can stow her handbag behind the Drivers Seat.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-15-2018)

Quick Reply: F-Type Short People Experience