F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type for small people ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
...I am generally cautious when parking, especially if there a parking obstacle like a kerb stone, but the proximity warning system is definitely helpful...
A bit off topic, but the front sensors are above curb stone height, so as you get closer, the sensors end up not seeing it, looking over the top. Learned that one the hard way...

Old 01-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I agree.
Managed to avoid learning that one the hard way, so far!!!
Generally try to park well short of known obstacles.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Received 306 Likes on 199 Posts

[QUOTE=NewLester de Rocin;2608181]Wow... SUPER thread. Credit to you, Rome, for opening such a down to earth and entertaining topic. Every post here was CHAMPION to read!

If the SHOWROOM car feels it will fit you (not CAN fit you, but WILL fit you), then it's time to try a DRIVE with a salesman sometime later. If you can't find a body-fit in the showroom car, going on a drive will only seduce you into buying a car you were never really comfortable operating.

I don't completely want to agree with the posters who suggest that living with some level of discomfort in a sportscar has to be expected by an owner. By the passenger, OK I'll agree with that, but if you're the driver, 15% discomfort on the pedals or less visibility in your mirror equals 15% less ability to dance that car out of trouble when something challenges you on the road. And in an slick looking F-Type, you WILL be challenged from time to time---sometimes just by envious passing drivers, truckers, or careless folk.

100% agreement! It has puzzled me for a long time how folks will buy a car online (Carvana, etc.) without perhaps ever sitting in one or driving it. Spouse does not care to go on my test drives with me, and I always warn the salesperson that I plan to do an emergency stop (usually at 45 mph on a little trafficked road of her/his choosing.) Besides wanting to be sure that car will stop when I need it to, I want to know that I can see out of it. It's sometimes those 'impaired' visibility situations that might get you in trouble. I've passed on buying more than one car that have B or C pillars that obstruct vision. The F does have some obstruction, but mine also has really great side mirrors and the sensor/Vision Pack system, as well as the backup camera. I recently fitted my 2013 Golf with the little add-on/stick-on mirrors that go on the side mirrors. I found that more and more drivers in my area would hang in that car's L and R blind spots, and besides turning my head to visually put eyes on that possibility, the new mirrors were an option. I would also not buy a car with uncomfortable seating. We bought a new Silverado after passing on a Colorado, and a major reason was that the Silverado's seats were much deeper than the Colorado's. That upper leg support is something we both preferred to have on long (3-4 hour) drives.

And I also agree with that last statement.. being challenged. More than once in the F, as well as the Corvette, for no obvious reason being crowded out on a entrance ramp......sigh, downshift and leave 'em in the dust.

The following users liked this post:
uncheel (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

"I don't completely want to agree with the posters who suggest that living with some level of discomfort in a sports car has to be expected by an owner."

Valerie, as always, you have a good point - although I have to mention that I once had a JPS Europa and had to take my (size 13) shoes off to drive it. (Couldn't work the clutch without pointing my toes and one foot could hit clutch, brake, and gas together.) Sometimes, the car is worth the pain.

Meanwhile, my wife (at 5'0") could always manage the F-Type with ease - although she preferred the ride height of the F-Pace. The range of seat adjustments in the F-Type made a big difference vs my 911. When she bought the Porsche for me, she drove it home from CT sitting on a phone book.

Last edited by uncheel; 01-27-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 306 Likes on 199 Posts

And I'm there with you on that one when driving my E. I wear a women's 9, not really large, but anything other than a slim fitting slip-on gets fouled up in the brake pedal. I'm sure it's there for HeelNToe. And I do sometimes, drive it barefoot.

BTW, the point that was made about "some level of discomfort.." was not mine... it was by NewLester de Rocin (et je m'excuse). I fat-fingered the 'quote' key and it made it looks like NdR's great wording was my own... not so.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rome! I'm 5'1" and my daily driver is a 2016 F-type R convertible. I've had it for about 2 years now. As far as comfort goes, it took me a couple of days to get the seat position dialed in, but once I got it, I can say I've never driven a better fitting vehicle. I've daily driven low convertibles since 1998 (Toyota Celica gen 6, Nissan 350Z, 370Z) so I haven't been able to see the corners of my car while driving in a very long time. I will say that in my day to day driving, the places I go don't tend to be very challenging for maneuvering or parking. If they were, the visibility compromise might be more of an issue. I wouldn't say the F-Type is a short person's car, but I wouldn't say it isn't either - as another poster said, I think you have to be ok with not necessarily "some level of discomfort" but maybe some level of "I know APPROXIMATELY where the corners of my car are but this car is so much fun to drive, I don't care."

Old 02-02-2023, 01:04 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Ultimately it boils down to a simple question.

is the f type any worse than any other sports car with regards to visability and seating position for smaller people.

The answer is NO, It’s the same

you have to accept the compromises of a sleek sports car with rounded corners sloping bonnet and poor visability with anything comparable. if you can’t then get a LR4 , easiest ever to drive and park

Old 02-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Your visibility isn't THAT bad unless you have to open your door to be able to see when you are backing up.