F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 01:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kona
I ended up ordering https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/ after recommendation from @skizot in a different, but similar thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-stereo-228684 Looking at the display that puts out, it looks MUCH better than factory and apparently has an equalizer in it as well. Little pricey for an adapter, but looks like it is way better than a standard adapter
Couldn't find what version of Bluetooth for this adapter? anything less than 5 is a no go for me.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ahmad.366
Couldn't find what version of Bluetooth for this adapter? anything less than 5 is a no go for me.
Wow, I didn't know there were such things as bluetooth snobs. As far as I know, the difference between 4 and 5 is that 5 has longer range (rendered moot since you're going to have your phone a foot away from it) and better bandwidth (also rendered moot since you're not going to be streaming 8k videos over bluetooth). What does it matter if it has 4 or 4.2 or 5? And I just looked up what 4 has that 3 doesn't and the only thing is low energy mode to make connected devices last longer, which is another moot point since your head unit isn't battery powered (unless you're sitting in your car without it running). So for a car head unit, there's essentially 0 difference between version 3 and version 5.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:16 AM

It's more about the audio quality, I'd like to stream high quality audio (something equivalent to AUX). also, BT5 has much better latency for when you're play a video on your phone but audio thru car speakers (lip sync issues)
Originally Posted by Kona
Wow, I didn't know there were such things as bluetooth snobs. As far as I know, the difference between 4 and 5 is that 5 has longer range (rendered moot since you're going to have your phone a foot away from it) and better bandwidth (also rendered moot since you're not going to be streaming 8k videos over bluetooth). What does it matter if it has 4 or 4.2 or 5? And I just looked up what 4 has that 3 doesn't and the only thing is low energy mode to make connected devices last longer, which is another moot point since your head unit isn't battery powered (unless you're sitting in your car without it running). So for a car head unit, there's essentially 0 difference between version 3 and version 5.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ahmad.366
It's more about the audio quality, I'd like to stream high quality audio (something equivalent to AUX). also, BT5 has much better latency for when you're play a video on your phone but audio thru car speakers (lip sync issues)
The former shouldn't be an issue, but yeah, I've had issues with the latter. To be fair though, you shouldn't be watching videos while driving!

Old 04-19-2020, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning all,

I wanted to replace my aluminum tweeters with the Premium titanium models (AW93 18808 HA), but they are difficult to find.
The black AW93 18808 AC models are much easier to find.
Do you know if the quality is better than the basic aluminum ones?

Thank you.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I have gone down the same route as Kona, and after speaking to the guys at Unique AD. I have decided to try in my car. However I have the Harman systen (in-control touch) mid range 380w Meriden system in a 2016 car. Just received the box yesterday and looking forward to installing. Big bonus having english instructions and a super responsive set of guys at Unique to help with queries. Looking forward to installing over the next few days. I will of course share the experience with the usual youtube videos. But from what I have seen it looks way simpler than the 'merryway' approach of updating the headunit.

Contents of the box from Unique Automotive Design

Old 04-22-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
I have gone down the same route as Kona, and after speaking to the guys at Unique AD. I have decided to try in my car. However I have the Harman systen (in-control touch) mid range 380w Meriden system in a 2016 car. Just received the box yesterday and looking forward to installing. Big bonus having english instructions and a super responsive set of guys at Unique to help with queries. Looking forward to installing over the next few days. I will of course share the experience with the usual youtube videos. But from what I have seen it looks way simpler than the 'merryway' approach of updating the headunit.
Yeah I got mine in Monday. Was surprised at the quickness given that it was coming from across the pond. Supposed to have the stereo guy coming out to install it tomorrow. I will update as well

Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 AM

Looking forward to the update, as I have the Bosch system in my Sport, and will probably do that as well if this all goes well :-). Also I added a couple of extra bits to my kit list that I hope will improve the install:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYYRT7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYYRT7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Help with the audio-in quality.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Dash-...72.m2749.l2649 Going to put this in the space under the arm rest rather than leave the USB cable hanging out.

Finally would be good to get your view on the microphone. I wonder how good it will be in the not so quiet cabin of a F-type (also have you decided where to locate it ?)

Last edited by Paul Calvert; 04-23-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:01 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Paul
I have 16 plate f type My17. The team at UAD say my car has the later screen and there product SKU IDC -D5C should fit it’s for the f pace and xe etc they haven’t tried it in a f type yet , do you have the later model ?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alasdair 63
Hi Paul
I have 16 plate f type My17. The team at UAD say my car has the later screen and there product SKU IDC -D5C should fit it’s for the f pace and xe etc they haven’t tried it in a f type yet , do you have the later model ?
Yep I'm the guinea pig for seeing whether it works :-). That's exactly what I have received, The F-Pace XE unit. Is yours a convertible or Coupe ?

Last edited by Paul Calvert; 04-23-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 AM

Here are the first Videos:
Part 1 (unboxing)
Part 2 (installation location)

Old 04-23-2020, 12:07 PM

Paul , I have a coupe

Old 04-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Paul , I have a coupe
your in for an easy ride then :-)

Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Here are the first Videos:
Part 1 (unboxing) https://youtu.be/uQhSTO3kMXw
Part 2 (installation location) https://youtu.be/VJikkRixq88
Wait... what?? you didn't install it where your headunit is?? I'm so confused now. How did you install it back there behind the seats??? I didn't get mine installed yesterday because the installer was being flaky so I was just going to do it myself this weekend as the other video looks pretty straight forward, but I've got no idea what you have going on there

Old 04-24-2020, 05:09 PM

The harman system is very different Kona. The screen is literly the screen. It has no intelligence, all of that sits in the unit behind the armrest. It feeds the screen and the amplifier as well as taking the input from the rear camera. Generally it should therefore be a much easier install than the Bosch. The bosch equivalent is built into the display, so its a very different proposition. You need to pull the display out, and install all the connectivity within the front dashboard.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:01 PM

The harman system is very different Kona. The screen is literly the screen. It has no intelligence, all of that sits in the unit behind the armrest. It feeds the screen and the amplifier as well as taking the input from the rear camera. Generally it should therefore be a much easier install than the Bosch. The bosch equivalent is built into the display, so its a very different proposition. You need to pull the display out, and install all the connectivity within the front dashboard.
Ohhhhhhhh. I just assumed there were some different jumpers or software difference between the systems. Didn't know they were that much different. Makes a lot more sense now!

Old 04-25-2020, 04:53 AM

Paul , with the new unit I thought I read somewhere that you loose steering wheel button function and climate control on the screen. I also
thought the unit went behind the front screen which looks like an easier install. Look forward to your final video with it all up and working.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Paul , with the new unit I thought I read somewhere that you loose steering wheel button function and climate control on the screen. I also
thought the unit went behind the front screen which looks like an easier install. Look forward to your final video with it all up and working.
Depends on the head unit model, which has changed several times.

I'm eagerly awaiting Kona's report before ordering my unit... just for one more data point before I order my unit.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 AM

Update; Installed the unit, its a really easy job if you have a coupe and the harmen system. I know lots of people are confused by the location, but it is the correct one. In the Harmen setup, all the connectivity and intelligence is in the unit under the arm rest. In the Bosch system its all built into the screen. So for the Bosch system you need to pull the dashboard apart, for the Harmen system its literally just unclip the rear bulkhead panel.
My install is a bit more complicated because I had to remove a couple of aftermarket amps that I had installed in this space first. But I have done this so many time I can tear down the rear bulkhead in 10mins :-)

So this is where it goes a bit wonky ! - For whatever reason the UAD unit is causing the audio amplfier to power off and the car needs to power down before it will come back on. So at the moment I can have Android Auto/ Car Play, but not with sound ! The audio works fine until the unit is powered on, then about 15-30s later the cars audio amplifier shuts down....... so close !

As to the questions on the steering wheel switch packs, I havent got that far yet so cant answer that question. :-(

The couple of points to note, the dip switch settings are different for our car, it has to be set for the older harmen units, rather than the newer. (dip switch 2 on) and the AA or CP screen is brought up by holding the home button down rather than the mode button.

Hopefully once UAD support are back in tomorrow, I can supply an update.

Cheers
Paul

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I might say something stupid, but isn't that because the auxiliary audio input is not connected?

Quick Reply: F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning