F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
A HUGE thank you, Paul. I've been watching this with more than idle curiosity. I appreciate all your efforts.
Much appreciated, I get a lot from the forum, and its nice to give a bit back. :-)

The following users liked this post:
DJS (05-04-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I must admit the results are amazing. Probably in my younger days I probably would have had a shop do this, no way do I have the skills. We have Carplay in our Maser but I never use it, just too old I guess. Plus we don't drive the miles since we retired and sat is enough for me.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
Update; Installed the unit, its a really easy job if you have a coupe and the harmen system. I know lots of people are confused by the location, but it is the correct one. In the Harmen setup, all the connectivity and intelligence is in the unit under the arm rest. In the Bosch system its all built into the screen. So for the Bosch system you need to pull the dashboard apart, for the Harmen system its literally just unclip the rear bulkhead panel.
My install is a bit more complicated because I had to remove a couple of aftermarket amps that I had installed in this space first. But I have done this so many time I can tear down the rear bulkhead in 10mins :-)

So this is where it goes a bit wonky ! - For whatever reason the UAD unit is causing the audio amplfier to power off and the car needs to power down before it will come back on. So at the moment I can have Android Auto/ Car Play, but not with sound ! The audio works fine until the unit is powered on, then about 15-30s later the cars audio amplifier shuts down....... so close !

As to the questions on the steering wheel switch packs, I havent got that far yet so cant answer that question. :-(

The couple of points to note, the dip switch settings are different for our car, it has to be set for the older harmen units, rather than the newer. (dip switch 2 on) and the AA or CP screen is brought up by holding the home button down rather than the mode button.

Hopefully once UAD support are back in tomorrow, I can supply an update.

Cheers
Paul

Paul
quick question from a noob. I have the 2015 f type r with the meridian sound system. Your posts refer to Harmon and Bosch systems? Are you able to tell me if my system is comparable to yours? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:51 AM

easiest way to tell is by looking at the screen. If it looks like this, its harman (you probably also have an SD card under the armrest near your USB slot):

Old 05-08-2020, 12:19 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I just ordered the unit (for the Bosch system, so it'll be an in dash install vs what Paul has documented). Unique Auto is currently having a minor sale (-£15)
https://unique-ad.co.uk/

Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to note guys, Naviplus has a 100 AUD discount at the moment and has integration with the steering wheel controls. They still have to fix the mapping of the controls on my unit though but I'll post as soon as this is done

Old 05-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul Calvert, can you provide more information on "pulling your dashboard apart" for a Bosch system? Do you mean removing the plastic piece above the screen and removing the screen components or do you mean more than that?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRG4ever
Paul Calvert, can you provide more information on "pulling your dashboard apart" for a Bosch system? Do you mean removing the plastic piece above the screen and removing the screen components or do you mean more than that?
This thread has details from another forum member who did the install for the Bosch system. Starting here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2217978
My unit arrives today, and I'll try installing it this weekend if I can.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:03 PM

As i understand it you have to remove the panelling above and below the screen (so AC controls as well) and you need to remove some of the central tunnel. There is also the challenge of where you locate the unit. The above link has a good video !

Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM

ordered!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Paul , is your car a 16 plate also do you know if there are 2 versions of the Harmon unit? Just asking as I couldn’t get the UAD unit to work on my car.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alasdair 63
Paul , is your car a 16 plate also do you know if there are 2 versions of the Harmon unit? Just asking as I couldn’t get the UAD unit to work on my car.
Hi, yes mine is a 16 ( Feb 2016 ) registered. When you say you couldnt get it working, what didn't work? The main problems I had were:
- The video connection (fakra cable with purple end) did not fit into the Harman unit properly, it needed some persuasion (I would check all your video cables) as I didnt realise this for quite a while that it hadnt seated properly.
- Its dip switch 2, not 1 that needs to be on.
- The power cable (the one that is connected to the UAD unit) needed to be replaced for a different model as the unit would power the cars audio amp off after about 15s.

It was a challenge to get the phone paired as well, but I assume you are not at that stage yet?

Paul

Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 AM

Hi Paul, I had no display on the screen dip switch settings as per instructions 2&8 on , checked connections all seem to be ok blue light on on unit so power on. Pressed reset as instructed I then had camera fault and blind spot monitoring not available on the instrument cluster. I have reverted back to factory settings for now. My car is 16 plate registered in July 16
Alasdair

Old 05-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Hi Paul, I had no display on the screen dip switch settings as per instructions 2&8 on , checked connections all seem to be ok blue light on on unit so power on. Pressed reset as instructed I then had camera fault and blind spot monitoring not available on the instrument cluster. I have reverted back to factory settings for now. My car is 16 plate registered in July 16
Alasdair
Hi Alasdair, that is strange. The no display I can understand, as the unit is getting in the path of the signal. I think my blue light flashes, rather than permanently on. After changing the dip switches, you are correct in that the unit needs to be reset. I also unplugged mine just to be sure. The bit I dont understand is the camera and blind spot not working. The camera feed is next to the display out feed (on the left) but Im sure that is fine if its all working again now. The BS modules are in the bumper, so not sure what is happening there. Maybe just a blip with the reset ?
As far as Im aware for MY16 the Harman units are the same apart from global regional differences (eg. with or without DAB). Other than the points suggested I dont have much more to offer. Always scary when the car starts throwing up errors. I have had that from time to time, but a reset (lock and leave for 15m, or battery disconnect) usually clears them.
I would really check that the video feed is securely seated, mine didnt fit properly due to some excess plastic on the moulding. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 PM

As I noted in the other thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post2233827), I got my UAD unit installed. Mine was not as easy of an experience as Paul’s given that I needed to disassemble the dash, but everything’s working nicely!

Old 05-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Received but my wife intercepted it! Gonna pay for that.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM

Hi Paul , got the display working and after a few attempts got the Bluetooth connected, but can’t seem to get the screen where you have the slide bar on the left and the bottom left button where you scroll through the menu Also only got a few apps on the display as well. For example if I bring waze up I can only tap on the 3 last destinations any idea ? You also said they sent you a update to down load wonder if I need that.
Regards Alasdair

Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Hi Paul , got the display working and after a few attempts got the Bluetooth connected, but can’t seem to get the screen where you have the slide bar on the left and the bottom left button where you scroll through the menu Also only got a few apps on the display as well. For example if I bring waze up I can only tap on the 3 last destinations any idea ? You also said they sent you a update to down load wonder if I need that.
Regards Alasdair
Alasdair, that great news, that you got a picture. What fixed it ? On Android Auto itself. Android Auto will only show the compatible apps you have installed on your phone. http://g.co/androidauto
So you may not be able to see a scroll bar because you dont have enough apps installed. The Android Auto app itself can also limit which apps are displayed, and the order they are shown. For waze it does behave differently on Android Auto than it does on your phone. Do you have any screen shares ?

Old 05-27-2020, 01:32 PM

Installed! Piece of cake, works like a charm! Interesting note, for the installation for my Bosch unit, I did not find a Navi unit to place the Unique Auto unit behind....just a blank space!

The following users liked this post:
Paul Calvert (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM

Paul , do you have the oem reverse camera? Mine will only work if i press the home button and go into oem screen. UAD fault finding chart says to connect wire marked Rear c to reverse light power wire. Did you connect this rear c cable ?
Regards Alasdair

Quick Reply: F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning