F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 04:52 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alasdair 63
Paul , do you have the oem reverse camera? Mine will only work if i press the home button and go into oem screen. UAD fault finding chart says to connect wire marked Rear c to reverse light power wire. Did you connect this rear c cable ?
Regards Alasdair
Hi Alasdair, I was about to say, mine works fine when I realised I hadn't actually tested that. Car hasn't been off the drive since lockdown :-) So i just checked and mine behaves in the same way. If you are in the Android Auto screen, selecting reverse has no effect. If you are in the standard screen, the reverse camera displays as normal. So we are in the same boat ! Just when I thought I was done with that project. Need to work out which wires now !
Paul

Old 06-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Paul
UAD say extra wire has to be connected not sure how I will do that, also phone say Bluetooth connected but icon on screen not showing on apart from that all working ok. Your videos were a great help so thanks for that.
Alasdair.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:35 AM

Hi Alasdair,

Connecting into the wire shouldnt be a problem, finding it might be :-). Also I might have to go back on my easy installation comment because to do so you will need access to the loom, and the easiest way to do that is by removing the bulkhead panelling. The wire you are looking for (according to the wiring diagram ) is a green/white one. I think it does go via the central tunnel near the unit, it definitely appears in the rear luggage section on the passenger side (RHD car). Its just a case of getting the multi meter out and finding it. Once I get some time I will see if I can find it.
Paul

Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the issue you guys are having that the stock reverse camera feed doesn't take over when you shift into reverse? Because I'm 95% sure I tried that this weekend and it worked fine. I definitely didn't hook into the reverse wire.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still haven't installed my UAD. It's still sitting in the box. Also, looks like I'm about to sell the F-Type, so if anyone wants one of these new in box for a discount, PM me and we'll work something out.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ColinX1
So is the issue you guys are having that the stock reverse camera feed doesn't take over when you shift into reverse? Because I'm 95% sure I tried that this weekend and it worked fine. I definitely didn't hook into the reverse wire.
Bosch or Harman system in yours ?

Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

thanks to Cambo for the info and part numbers

i optioned the 700w and never been happy with it, i'm too old in my late 30s to listen to music loud, but i would appreciate some more clarity from a higher grade speaker and for an easy pnp install i'll do it

I ended up ordering these speakers new from brit-car, i used all jag part numbers for consistency, pricing was same as the LR numbers except for the midrange (yellow cone) which was more expensive by around 50%

no stranger to focal bam as i pulled my entire interior out of my evo x and covered every square inch and piece of plastic trim to get rid of the rattles, will be a fun project

still on the fence about the carplay modules, not really keen on the adhoc functionality and loss of steering controls. atm i find it easier keeping my iphone plugged in and just saying hey siri to load a podcast or music - still waiting on someone to post how google earth looks on the oe screen, if it's high enough quality to look as good as it does on the virtual cockpit on my rs3, that may sway me

fyi (prices in GBP)

C2D2076 LOUDSPEAKER 2x 126.74
C2D24861 LOUDSPEAKER 8 INCH BASS - FRONT DOOR - PREMIUM - JAGUAR - XJ FROM VIN V89753 2x 178.60
C2D30486 TWEETER SPEAKER IN A POST - 1500W PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM - JAGUAR 2x 87.90

Last edited by domino_z; 06-09-2020 at 08:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by domino_z:
Ctan (06-10-2020), djyankees31 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

The AUD kit does seem like a simple install, not sure that I need it but perhaps nice to have the option.
A few questions for Paul...
What is shown on the phone screen when you connect to their USB?
Does the USB in the armrest still function? ie can you ignore the AUD and just carry on as before should you wish to?
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery for the AUD install?
Thanks.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by malbec
The AUD kit does seem like a simple install, not sure that I need it but perhaps nice to have the option.
A few questions for Paul...
What is shown on the phone screen when you connect to their USB?
Does the USB in the armrest still function? ie can you ignore the AUD and just carry on as before should you wish to?
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery for the AUD install?
Thanks.
You can configure your phone as to what its shows when setting up android auto. I set mine to blank when android auto is running.
Yes, I have music on a usb stick in mine and you switch in and out of the Android Auto screen by using the home button. The default is the cars normal screen.
I didnt disconnect power for my install, but its always safer to do so :-)

The following users liked this post:
malbec (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks Paul for you insights. I do have a question also: can you listen to the car's radio and use the Android Auto at the same time?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Thanks Paul for you insights. I do have a question also: can you listen to the car's radio and use the Android Auto at the same time?
The audio for the UAD comes via the AUX. If you elect to, you can listen to another source while using the UAD unit.

Paul champagne (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alasdair 63
Hi Paul
UAD say extra wire has to be connected not sure how I will do that, also phone say Bluetooth connected but icon on screen not showing on apart from that all working ok. Your videos were a great help so thanks for that.
Alasdair.
Tackled the reversing camera wire yesterday. The wire you are looking for is green and white and I tapped into it behind the passenger seat (UK RHD car). A simple job to do. you can see the wire below, from the tap point to the orange wire. The flipping to the reverse camera works flawlessly now.

djyankees31 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 03:36 PM

Last edited by malbec; 06-15-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Got my unit today and installed it. The pink/purple plug from the Harman was tricky to remove.
All connections look good but the screen is blank. Tried dip switches 2 and 2&8 did reset each time but no luck. Am waiting to hear from AUD.
I haven’t put the car back to normal since I don’t want to have to remove that plug again, just hope that if I do put it back that the original system still works.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Got my unit today and installed it. The pink/purple plug from the Harman was tricky to remove.
All connections look good but the screen is blank. Tried dip switches 2 and 2&8 did reset each time but no luck. Am waiting to hear from AUD.
I haven’t put the car back to normal since I don’t want to have to remove that plug again, just hope that if I do put it back that the original system still works.
My best advice is to check those purple connections. I had the same problem and it turned out to be that one of the connectors still had a bit of excess plastic on and wasn't seating properly. Took ages of head scratching before I worked it out.

malbec (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
My best advice is to check those purple connections. I had the same problem and it turned out to be that one of the connectors still had a bit of excess plastic on and wasn't seating properly. Took ages of head scratching before I worked it out.
Thanks Paul, I will check in the morning though everything seemed to go in with a click.
Just hope I haven’t fried the Harman.
I did wonder if the 40 pin connector had seated properly, it doesn’t go in very far but the lock works and I can’t pull it out.
Pretty sure the video plugs are in ok but I’ll have another go tomorrow.
Got that feeling that I wish I’d never done this at the mo.

Last edited by malbec; 06-15-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Paul, I will check in the morning though everything seemed to go in with a click.
Just hope I haven’t fried the Harman.
I did wonder if the 40 pin connector had seated properly, it doesn’t go in very far but the lock works and I can’t pull it out.
Pretty sure the video plugs are in ok but I’ll have another go tomorrow.
Got that feeling that I wish I’d never done this at the mo.
Don't lose hope! I had that feeling when I initially installed mine and the car started to a... black screen. In my case I missed plugging in a single cable, turned out to be the power into the LCD. Maybe double check all the cables, there's a lot of them...

malbec (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 03:05 PM

Also FYI, there was a firmware update on June 5th, that fixes an issue I was seeing: not being able to tap incoming text messages on carplay, and it's specific to JLR fitments. I emailed UAD to request the update file and I'm waiting to hear back.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/software-updates/

malbec (06-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 06:32 AM

OK all is well.
I hadn’t pushed in the 40pin connector far enough into the Harman unit. It needed a very firm push with the lock pushed all the way back into the wires.
AUD were Very patient and helped me solve the problem.
All in all it’s a great piece of kit. Wireless CarPlay was working initially but it appears to need a reset. Will be using it wired anyway and I still have the phone mounted with the Scosche mount on the dash. I can display different things on the phone from what I can select on the CarPlay screen.
The audio is good, ie as good as it ever was but I can confirm that the next/previous on the steering wheel does not function...not a problem since it’s easy to do on the screen.
If you want CarPlay on an 8 inch screen with Harman system this is definitely the way to go.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:39 AM

OK all is well.
The audio is good, ie as good as it ever was but I can confirm that the next/previous on the steering wheel does not function...not a problem since it’s easy to do on the screen.
I posted this in the other thread focused on the Bosch install, but the steering wheel buttons DO work... sort of; you have to set the oem audio source to Bluetooth (and not AUX) and then switch the display to the UAD interface (by pressing the nav button as usual). What happens then is that music streams to your speakers via the oem bluetooth interface, while the screen shows the Carplay visuals. Your steering wheel inputs are being sent to the phone via bluetooth, and prev/next will work. What you *won't* hear are any other Carplay prompts (e.g., navigation guidance), as they are still being sent through AUX and not Bluetooth.

malbec (06-16-2020)

Quick Reply: F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning