F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Jeremy, I finally got a chance to watch your 2nd video.

Your car has the NGI Infotainment system in it, this is the newer version that uses Ethernet for data transmission between the head unit and the amp, not MOST fibre optic like the earlier cars.

The Mobridge DA-1 is not going to work with this system.

Here in this screenshot;

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-screen-shot-03-14-18-11.38-am.jpg

Your hand is on the IMC "Infotainment Master Controller" from the NGI system, not the Sirius receiver

The amp above your hand is an NGI amp.

"At first glance I don't see the fibre optic cable that I need" yes because it's not there, there is no fibre optics in this car, it's Ethernet.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but I guess you already figured that out.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have an appointment scheduled for mid-April (hopefully snow and salt will be gone) and the shop wants to see the diagrams that were in the manual that OzXfr was kind enough to provide. They take cars apart to install radar detectors so they weren't too concerned.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM

Here's a side by side of the standard Meridian speakers and the Meridian Signature Kevlar ones.

The difference in sound has been described to me as "night & day" in the F-Type with 380W Meridian system, seems like it's a worthwhile upgrade before going to the aftermarket.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Here's a side by side of the standard Meridian speakers and the Meridian Signature Kevlar ones.

The difference in sound has been described to me as "night & day" in the F-Type with 380W Meridian system, seems like it's a worthwhile upgrade before going to the aftermarket.
Not much of an upgrade over the premium meridian stock system?

Old 03-23-2018, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v
Not much of an upgrade over the premium meridian stock system?
If you mean the 770W Meridian Surround, then we have not tried these exact speakers in one of those yet.

And the 380W system in this 2017 is not the same from an electronics & software point of view as the 2014-2015 cars with 380W, or the 770W Meridian up to 2017 either.

But slojotaa upgraded his 770W system with some other OEM Kevlar speakers (yellow "B&W" Kevlar) and reported a considerable improvement.

At the end of the day, the factory speakers in both the 380W and the 770W Meridian are not the best JLR have to offer, there is definitely room for improvement, whichever way you go.

slojotaa (03-30-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Banned

If you mean the 770W Meridian Surround, then we have not tried these exact speakers in one of those yet.

And the 380W system in this 2017 is not the same from an electronics & software point of view as the 2014-2015 cars with 380W, or the 770W Meridian up to 2017 either.

But slojotaa upgraded his 770W system with some other OEM Kevlar speakers (yellow "B&W" Kevlar) and reported a considerable improvement.

At the end of the day, the factory speakers in both the 380W and the 770W Meridian are not the best JLR have to offer, there is definitely room for improvement, whichever way you go.
Thank you for that information Cambo. I plan to remove the speakers to dynamat behind them. Without adding an aftermarket processor or amplifier, do you feel there is an advantage to be gained in sound quality swapping out my 770w meridian speakers (from 2014!) to an aftermarket replacement? I've had great success in my other cars just upgrading the speakers alone for an improvement in sound quality (albeit may be a result of years of usage as well,) or installing new OEM speakers.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v
Thank you for that information Cambo. I plan to remove the speakers to dynamat behind them. Without adding an aftermarket processor or amplifier, do you feel there is an advantage to be gained in sound quality swapping out my 770w meridian speakers (from 2014!) to an aftermarket replacement? I've had great success in my other cars just upgrading the speakers alone for an improvement in sound quality (albeit may be a result of years of usage as well,) or installing new OEM speakers.
It's just my opinion, but yes, you can improve the sound in the F-Type by changing speakers.

My own choice would be the Meridian Signature ones like I posted in the pics above, for three reasons;

#1 they are used in the highest spec audio systems from Jaguar Land Rover, so there is something better about them, than what was installed originally.
#2 they literally bolt in & out, much easier to install, no cutting wires, no drilling, no modification, straight swap. The impedence is the same as the originals too.
#3 they are still cheaper than the aftermarket speakers that are designed to fit into that odd 200mm hole, from Eton, Focal, etc...

You can fit any speaker you like if you make/modify the mounting & wiring, but this takes time/effort/money and may not be easily reversible (if you cut wires).

You ask different people you'll get different opinions, that's just my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
jaguny (03-24-2018), JgaXkr (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Banned

It's just my opinion, but yes, you can improve the sound in the F-Type by changing speakers.

My own choice would be the Meridian Signature ones like I posted in the pics above, for three reasons;

#1 they are used in the highest spec audio systems from Jaguar Land Rover, so there is something better about them, than what was installed originally.
#2 they literally bolt in & out, much easier to install, no cutting wires, no drilling, no modification, straight swap. The impedence is the same as the originals too.
#3 they are still cheaper than the aftermarket speakers that are designed to fit into that odd 200mm hole, from Eton, Focal, etc...

You can fit any speaker you like if you make/modify the mounting & wiring, but this takes time/effort/money and may not be easily reversible (if you cut wires).

You ask different people you'll get different opinions, that's just my opinion.
Do you have the part numbers for the meridian signatures, and would you just recommend replacing the door speakers (convertible)

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Based on some great info provided by Cambo I looked at price of B&W 2cd2077 vs Meridian Signature 2cd24863. The B&W is about $35 per speaker more than Meridian, but the mid ranges are about same. Also the Meridian midrange is about the same cost as the Meridian bass. Curious for sure as Meridian signature supposed to be better.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

I tried to order a set of Meridian Signature online from oem dealers. Specifically c2d30486 (tweeter); c2d24862 (midrange) and c2d24863 (bass). I was told by two different dealers that the bass speaker has to be ordered from JLR in England. One told me they may not get it, even if ordered. Not a confidence builder. The B&W c2d2077 bass speaker is available in USA ($35 more each). Not sure if mix and match is an issue. In order to hit my timeline for other work I need to buy now or put off to another time line or find a local installer as current appointment for xpel is 90 minutes away. I may go mix and match and take my chances; not a scientific studied approach for sure. Audio guys must be cringing. I think the gamble is whether the crossover frequencies already set up in the head unit are compatible with replacement speakers. I would expect they should be similar. Seat of the pants science. Any constructive thoughts welcome. Option B; scrap the idea and focus on new set of wheels.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-28-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I tried to order a set of Meridian Signature online from oem dealers. Specifically c2d30486 (tweeter); c2d24863 (midrange) and c2d24863 (bass). I was told by two different dealers that the bass speaker has to be ordered from JLR in England. One told me they may not get it, even if ordered. Not a confidence builder. The B&W c2d2077 bass speaker is available in USA ($35 more each). Not sure if mix and match is an issue. In order to hit my timeline for other work I need to buy now or put off to another time line or find a local installer as current appointment for xpel is 90 minutes away. I may go mix and match and take my chances; not a scientific studied approach for sure. Audio guys must be cringing. I think the gamble is whether the crossover frequencies already set up in the head unit are compatible with replacement speakers. I would expect they should be similar. Seat of the pants science. Any constructive thoughts welcome. Option B; scrap the idea and focus on new set of wheels.
I ordered my speakers & 1 pair was backordered to the UK. It took about a week to arrive. My first step is to have the software updated on Saturday.

jaguny (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I tried to order a set of Meridian Signature online from oem dealers. Specifically c2d30486 (tweeter); c2d24862 (midrange) and c2d24863 (bass). I was told by two different dealers that the bass speaker has to be ordered from JLR in England. One told me they may not get it, even if ordered. Not a confidence builder. The B&W c2d2077 bass speaker is available in USA ($35 more each). Not sure if mix and match is an issue. In order to hit my timeline for other work I need to buy now or put off to another time line or find a local installer as current appointment for xpel is 90 minutes away. I may go mix and match and take my chances; not a scientific studied approach for sure. Audio guys must be cringing. I think the gamble is whether the crossover frequencies already set up in the head unit are compatible with replacement speakers. I would expect they should be similar. Seat of the pants science. Any constructive thoughts welcome. Option B; scrap the idea and focus on new set of wheels.
These guys will get you the parts:https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=c2d24863

Their shipping charges from the UK are very reasonable as well.

jaguny (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I ordered my speakers & 1 pair was backordered to the UK. It took about a week to arrive. My first step is to have the software updated on Saturday.
Did you get all three Meridian signature? How does it sound?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Cambo....I am changing out next week one of 2 of the final speaker upgrades. I plan on taking the plunge and changing out the single dash speaker to complete the front sound mod's.

The only thing i have not "yet" done is to change the tweeters (no need to in my opinion, they are fine), and the rear speakers behind the seats. They are useless to me the way they are now. I want to get more power from behind "seats that muffle the sound based upon design anyway), and want your suggestions on:
a) - Have you done this?
b) - What did you replace back there?
c) - Any other inputs on rounding out the finale of the rear seat speakers so that it is as successful as the other changes I made to the car based upon your well placed inputs. Success on that front.
Thanks mate,

joe

Old 03-30-2018, 05:36 AM

There is no "factory upgrade" for the rear speakers. See post #77 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1857560

A friend of ours did fit some aftermarket speakers in there though, but you need to cut up the original bits to make them fit.

behind the seats I choose the Ampire Bold 6 as subwoofer (the speaker has a double coil): https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ampire-Bold-...d/122058389231

And for the midrange speaker Audison Voce AV 3.0 because this speaker fits the original frame: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Audison-Voce...r/263026454633

The combination of the Ampire subwoofer and the Audison midrange speaker is interesting because they are much better then the original JLR speakers and less expensive.
Because of the double coil you can connect them easily to the surround amplfier.

I was wondering that the sound quality now is so good as the amplifier has filtered outputs for the original speakers but it sounds very good with this combination of high quality speakers.
F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-luidprekers.jpg

F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-inbouw.jpg

That's about all I can tell you...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
DJS (03-30-2018), slojotaa (04-15-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Please keep us posted as I am quite interested in how much of an upgrade it is.
Update: so far I decided to purchase the B&W 100mm (c2d2076) and 200m (c2d2077) along with the titanium meridian tweeter. Not all have arrived, but the 100mm is yellow Kevlar. The 200 mm is still a paper cone. I am trying to confirm if the Meridian Signature is Kevlar (black) as it appears to be from Cambo's info. I am calling supplier Monday to see if the Meridian's are in stock and they can check first hand. More to follow as I progress. If I can get it all sorted, installation won't be complete until April 20. The way its been snowing with cold, the Jag may not make it to the appointment.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Meridian Signature 200mm are absolutely black Kevlar cone, I had them here in my hands.

jaguny (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Cambo. I expected so from your posted info. I went with the B&W as having had them in by XF, I had liked them and expected the 200mm would be Kevlar like the 100mm. Also Joe liked his. Curious that the c2d2077 are paper. I may go ahead and get the Meridians. They are actually cheaper; the c2d2076 indicate they are made in Slovakia, at least on the box. Haven't looked at the speaker itself to see if there is a stamp on the speaker. I think you indicated all are now made in China.
Also the supplier mistakenly sent a 2cd2079 coaxial instead of a 2cd2076. Is that a upgrade/fit for anywhere in the f type?

Last edited by jaguny; 04-07-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Similar but slightly different. I have ordered the Meridian Signature speakers but the Land Rover Variant :- seemed to be cheaper. LR047119, LR033293 & LR03392. Once the weather clears up Ill get the door cards off and install.I have also got some dynomat to through in at the same time.

Paul

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning-img_20180407_155107849.jpg  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I see your boxes say they are made in Slovokia as well. Have you opened the boxes to look them over. One of my boxes was correctly labeled but had the wrong part. Are you planning to swap out soon?

Quick Reply: F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning