Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type sudden driving problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Type sudden driving problems

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2015 F-Type and have been absolutely loving it so far. However, this past week I started running into some issues.

The steering, acceleration and braking have all become extremely stiff. Previously I could smoothly accelerate with almost no noise and no resistance, but now I am having to fight the gas pedal and brake almost constantly. The ride in general has become extremely rough. I disabled paddle shifters in drive mode, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. My only thought is that the car has gotten stuck in some sort of sport/track mode.

Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this? I'm pretty upset that this is happening with my brand new car, the drive is not enjoyable anymore and feels like a battle.

Thanks so much.

-Matt

Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd have that checked out

As far as i am aware no driving setting alters pedal stiffness it just alters the response

What model exactly is this? a S or an R?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Base model v6 actually.

It might not actually be pedal stiffness so much as requiring more throttle from me to do what I want, and much rougher feeling at that. The wheel is definitely stiffer than it was before.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:19 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I had the opposite happen several years ago. I put the car in dynamic (V6S), but couldn't feel any difference in steering/throttle/suspension/exhaust whether dynamic was on or not. Only lasted a day, and of course, the dealer didn't find anything.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 AM

It's been a few days and the problem hasn't sorted itself out. I tried switching back to sport mode, dynamic mode, etc. I'm not sure if that's actually the problem, but the stiffer ride, steering, acceleration etc. lead me to think that it might be stuck in between modes or something. Prior to the problem I had tried out both Sport and Dynamic and neither seemed to cause the same issues I'm feeling now.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Did you try rain/snow mode too?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

If the dealer is a long way from you, you might try rebooting the car by disconnecting the battery for a while...

Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM

The dealer said the earliest they can get me in is July 10th (lol). I'm interested in disconnecting the battery to try to restore it but I'm ashamed to admit I am not the most car-savvy folk, haha. Has anyone done this before?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Many folks have had issues that required disconnecting the battery to fix - mainly, an issue that drains the battery quickly. There should be no issue with disconnecting it, and reconnecting it after a minute or two.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mattusilverman
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2015 F-Type and have been absolutely loving it so far. However, this past week I started running into some issues.

The steering, acceleration and braking have all become extremely stiff. Previously I could smoothly accelerate with almost no noise and no resistance, but now I am having to fight the gas pedal and brake almost constantly. The ride in general has become extremely rough. I disabled paddle shifters in drive mode, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. My only thought is that the car has gotten stuck in some sort of sport/track mode.

Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this? I'm pretty upset that this is happening with my brand new car, the drive is not enjoyable anymore and feels like a battle.

Thanks so much.

-Matt
The symptoms you describe sound a lot like your car is stuck in Ice/Snow mode. Could you be moving the "Dynamic" lever in the wrong direction?
The other possibility would be that one of the Control Modules detected some sort of problem and has put the drive train in "Safe Mode"

Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

You mentioned the suspension being stiffer...but also mentioned you have a base. Base models have a passive suspension unlike the "S" or "R" models. SO unless you physically have something wrong with your suspension the ride quality will be the same.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 06-21-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

hope you have some kind of warranty

Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

The only thing that has ever happened to me that could mirror what you're describing occurred after backing out of a driveway onto a street with approaching traffic. I was kind of quick to go from rolling backwards to shifting into drive to foot on the gas.

The car barely responded to throttle. It was clearly moving forward but at like 3000 rpm and crawling. I pulled into the next driveway, put it in park, then back into drive and all was fine. Never a warning light. Hasn't happened again since it occurred 2 days ago.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
You mentioned the suspension being stiffer...but also mentioned you have a base. Base models have a passive suspension unlike the "S" or "R" models. SO unless you physically have something wrong with your suspension the ride quality will be the same.
I've a base model. Dynamic mode stiffens the steering and suspension. I might be wrong, but pressing dynamic certainly seems to tighten up the suspension.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

The easiest way to tell for sure if you have adaptive (dynamic) suspension is to open the hood and have a gander at the tops of the suspension struts. If you have adaptive there will be a wired plug on each one, if not then no plugs.