F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Supercharger Port & Polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F-Type Supercharger Port & Polish

I am curious if any of our members have had their SC ported and polished?
If so what types of performance improvement have you noticed?

The following users liked this post:
SinF (10-07-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Haven’t read anyone on here doing that. I do know of a Z06 that ported and polished and actually lost performance. Others on here are far more informed than myself but I think I remember something about the rotor/lobe is the bottleneck not the runners and ports.
Will be interesting to hear what other opinions are.
MM

Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

A member on this forum whose handle is Philly Single did.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-steps-161006/

Old 07-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Yup, Philly did it, and has the fastest quarter mile time for an F-type i'm aware of, albeit with spray. If i'm not mistaken, he ran a 11.02 or 11.03 with the port/polished supercharger in addition to a pulley/tune combo and some other small mods. So did it make that big of a difference? Not really... A bigger supercharger retrofit is really the next step for these motors.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Too bad his thread ended without any dyno info. Wonder how long the motor lasted ?

Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-steps-161006/
Thank you!

Old 07-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Too bad his thread ended without any dyno info. Wonder how long the motor lasted ?
He sold it a few years back. Don't remember if he removed the mods or not.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think a pulley would almost be required if porting/polishing. The larger volume of air would need the added suction of the higher blower RPM to really do anything.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The idea behind polishing is to reduce turbulence in the air flow. Changing pulley is all about reaching peak supercharger RPMs earlier in the engine RPM cycle where the car spends more time but at a trade off of earlier drop off and/or over-reving your supercharger near engine redline.

Two different things and are unrelated.

mecheng1 (10-07-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The idea behind polishing is to reduce turbulence in the air flow. Changing pulley is all about reaching peak supercharger RPMs earlier in the engine RPM cycle where the car spends more time but at a trade off of earlier drop off and/or over-reving your supercharger near engine redline.

Two different things and are unrelated.
+1.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Polishing, to a smaller degree than porting of course, still removes material inside the supercharger and thus increases the volume inside the blower. Yes, its primary purpose is to reduce turbulence, but both are aimed at removing restriction to allow a larger volume of air into the blower. Of course I'm not implying that they're *actually* required to be done together, my inference was that to really take advantage of a port/polish a pulley change should be done also. Tons of the 03/04 Cobra guys have already been well through these gyrations of tweaking as much power as possible.

Sort of along the lines that an air intake modification isn't quite optimal until you open up the exhaust, or that a pulley change to increase boost really should be coupled with a tune even if it's just a slight bump in boost.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Yup, Philly did it, and has the fastest quarter mile time for an F-type i'm aware of, albeit with spray. If i'm not mistaken, he ran a 11.02 or 11.03 with the port/polished supercharger in addition to a pulley/tune combo and some other small mods. So did it make that big of a difference? Not really... A bigger supercharger retrofit is really the next step for these motors.
Thx. In regards to a A bigger supercharger retrofit, I reached out to superchargers online last week to see what options are available for the F-Type. My assumption is that this would have to be a complete custom blower as I have only seen the Vengance package shown on YouTube which was built by STP Tuning - Jaguar F-Type Tuning Masters. Their reply was that this was a $30k package.
2017 Jaguar F-Type VENGEANCE 640/4

Old 07-13-2020, 08:34 AM

I was at the Jaguar Dealer on Friday and spoke to one of the tech's. We were talking about the V6 and how it needed some life and and what we could do. I had asked if he could load the 400 Sport tune onto my Jag and he stated they do aftermarket work, with VAP, and that Jaguar has no problem with aftermarket upgrades; such as pulley's and tunes. He highly recommended the crank pulley upgrade, but stated the SC pulley was also needed.
With my warranty all but expired he also recommended the port and polish.
Not the type of conversation I thought to have at a dealership.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brent Logero
I was at the Jaguar Dealer on Friday and spoke to one of the tech's. We were talking about the V6 and how it needed some life and and what we could do. I had asked if he could load the 400 Sport tune onto my Jag and he stated they do aftermarket work, with VAP, and that Jaguar has no problem with aftermarket upgrades; such as pulley's and tunes. He highly recommended the crank pulley upgrade, but stated the SC pulley was also needed.
With my warranty all but expired he also recommended the port and polish.
Not the type of conversation I thought to have at a dealership.
wow, that certainly is unique. Stick with that dealership as long as that guy's there!

The OE blower is a TVS R1900 (1.9L), the next step up in that series would be the R2300 (2.3L). The only size difference between the two is about 35mm in the body of the supercharger, which would require a different lower intake, and either a shorter snout housing or some adjustments to the belt alignment. I would expect that to be extremely costly and not feasible due to the limited number of vehicles out there with people willing to make such a modification.

Itismejoshy (12-11-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 AM

jcat009 can you link me to the 03/04 Cobra forum you are talking about?

Air Intake - Are you stating a CAI with the replacement of the exhaust after the heads; cats, mufflers, more [size=13px]efficient[/size] piping?

"The OE blower is a TVS R1900 (1.9L), the next step up in that series would be the R2300 (2.3L)."
Those are the Eaton models?

Last edited by Brent Logero; 07-13-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:24 AM

jcat009 can you link me to the 03/04 Cobra forum you are talking about?

Air Intake - Are you stating a CAI with the replacement of the exhaust after the heads; cats, mufflers, more [size=13px]efficient[/size] piping?
No specific thread, but I spent some time on svtperformance.com when I had a procharged 98 cobra. I had always wanted an 03/04 so spent a lot of time researching in that part of the forum also.

My intake/exhaust comment was more of a general statement in regards to getting more air into the engine without allowing for more air to leave. Most modern factory air intakes are pretty efficient and not as restrictive as they used to be, and with things like factory headers and cats still in place, a catback exhaust/mufflers won't do a ton for you. But, for example, a larger supercharger or an increase in boost level will be most efficient when paired with long tube headers and a less restrictive exhaust (high flow cats or no cats vs factory ones, larger pipe diameter to a degree, etc.). The exhaust is a whole other egg to crack, what with the arguments about backpressure and pipe diameter vs exhaust velocity and scavenging.

But in general it's the same tried and true rules for making power on any combustion engine: more air in, match it with more fuel, bigger explosion means more exhaust gas, whatever you put into the engine has to get out just as quick or quicker. Engines are nothing more than water-heating air pumps

Old 07-14-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Yes, those are Eaton SCs. Long tube headers will not fit into the available space. The best that VAP could fit even into the V6 compartment was mid-length headers. Space would be even more confining trying to fit 8 tubes. The mid length headers added a mere 3-5 hp to the V6.

SinF (10-07-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 AM

jcat009
I have an appointment on Friday with a custom exhaust shop to see what options they can bring to the table. To Unhingd's point there is very little space in that engine bay and I will hope the shop has a mid-length header option. They can fabricate a whole system from those headers back; so better flow, lighter, and high flow cat's and mufflers.
I will be interested in what the owner has to say, he does a lot of race work, and I will share that once i get it. You and Unhingd appear to have the most experience so I would love to get your thoughts.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had asked if he could load the 400 Sport tune onto my Jag and he stated they do aftermarket work, with VAP, and that Jaguar has no problem with aftermarket upgrades; such as pulley's and tunes.
Get this in writing, because VAP tune will void any JLR warranty, so the dealer will have to pay out of pocket for warranty work in such circumstances.

Jaguar (JLR) absolutely does have a problem with tuning, more so they recently changed ECU setup to make it harder.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:31 AM

SinF,
Maybe that is your local Jag dealer, but we have two in Denver and the one I spoke too said they install VAP and that it would have to be proven that the pully and the tune caused whatever issue was happening for Jag to not cover the work.
I understand your comment on getting this in writing, but I am just sharing what the Service Manager/Tech shared with me.

Quick Reply: F-Type Supercharger Port & Polish