F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type SVR convertible vs AMG GT-C convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For me the AMG all day long. I wish it was at my price point. It certainly is a very special car for sure. Very classy and still front engine that I require. I came from Porsche and prefer it. Best of luck and cannot wait for your final choice. Keep us up to date.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The front of the AMG does need some time to get use to and most agree on this.
If we haven't gotten used to that front end after 60+ years, it ain't never gonna happen.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-13-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The front of the AMG does need some time to get use to ...
Yeah, time for your eyesight to fail so you can't see it clearly any more!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
But the SVR looks like a V8 F-Type with some aftermarket goodies.
+1. The F-Type without all the bolt-ons is far sleeker and better looking than the AMG GT. The SVR is competing aesthetically with the Datsun GT-R. Of course, just my opinion.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-13-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. The F-Type without all the bolt-ons is far sleeker and better looking than the AMG GT. The SVR is competing aesthetically with the Datsun GT-R. Of course, just my opinion.
IDK! I think the AMG GT-S (Pre-Facelift) is gorgeous

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaggyx:
powerhouse (01-13-2019), UnionLabor (10-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

IDK! I think the AMG GT-S (Pre-Facelift) is gorgeous
You're nearly right - to me it looks like an F-Type with a big nose!

Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Without consideration of aesthetics, a fully built AMG has a lot more performance expertise and resources available than Jaguar SVR, and it shows. The AMG GT-C has a dual clutch transaxle, performance brakes as standard, superb handling and a refined interior. The Jaguar F Type SVR has a ford engine, ford SUV (truck brakes) brakes as standard, a ZF slush box, and refitted AWD to control design problems of laughable over steer. However, Jaguar did a pretty good job at putting it all together in a very overweight sports car. When the F type first came out I was expecting a lot more modern and better designed car. I was so disappointed I bought another XKR in lieu of the F type. Without being loyal to the brand, the AWD and great job of putting everything together keeps me interested. The 2018 AMG GT-C is about $30K more than the SVR at this time. Either one of these cars will put a smile on my face. Although, the AMG GT-C will be more exclusive and if I see another one on the road I will know it has a V8 and is not a 4 cylinder with cheap base interior fitting. If I see a good deal on an AMG GT-C I'll go for it. I expect when the 20MY AMG GT convertibles come out the used GT-C convertibles will take a big hit. A good deal will ultimately sway my decision.

Last edited by DGL; 01-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well there you go.

/thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I looked at AMG GT when I was shopping for F-type. They weren't offered with a manual gearbox and that was it for me considering one. They are very comparable cars. One additional downside for Mercedes, I found center console/divider with bazillion knobs a big turn off. I can't imagine this setup to be user friendly.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well there you go.

/thread
+1. Decision made! Wishing the OP a quick acquisition.

Originally Posted by SinF
I looked at AMG GT when I was shopping for F-type. They weren't offered with a manual gearbox and that was it for me considering one.
+1. Have been wanting to buy an AMG SL or GT for decades. Lack of an MT was the non-starter. The F-Type was a godsend.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Used Jags are bargains for what you get, but V8 Biturbo Mercs drop like rocks as the warranty fades. Out of warranty you are looking at an 80% loss, at the 10 year point 5% of retail value is not uncommon. Thats great if you buy used and are handy. My german cars have really sucked, but those are a small stable of Audi RSs and BMW Ms. From experience, German engineering is a myth, their cars leak and disintegrate relentlessly. Luxury German makes have some of the crappiest quality parts this side of Chrysler.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=JIMLIGHTA;2013126]Used Jags are bargains for what you get, but V8 Biturbo Mercs drop like rocks as the warranty fades. Out of warranty you are looking at an 80% loss, at the 10 year point 5% of retail value is not uncommon. Thats great if you buy used and are handy. My german cars have really sucked, but those are a small stable of Audi RSs and BMW Ms. From experience, German engineering is a myth, their cars leak and disintegrate relentlessly. Luxury German makes have some of the crappiest quality parts this side of Chrysler.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. All of these newer Mercs outside of the GLS, S-Class, CLS, and SL's are pretty much crap. The interiors are filled with plastic or very poor quality leather. You can even buy Mercs without xenon lights these days. Talk about bargain basement. That being said, the AMG lines site at the completely opposite end of the spectrum. The quality there is sound, both interior and exterior.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

The AMG's are built with better quality than the base Mercedes models. I owned a new 2013 SLK55 AMG and sold it because I wanted an F Type convertible. I had a new 2013 XKR, new AMG SLK55 convertible, and a new 2014 Nissan GT-R in my garage at the same time. I woke up one morning and decided to sell them all. I liked the convertible hard top on the SLK55 and it drove extremely good for a short wheel base, but the transmission shifted slow and it only had 410hp. Every time I reached for the keys, even on nice sunny days, I wanted to drive the XKR, but it was a coupe. Even with the 6 speed ZF the car always made me smile. I had to really push the SLK55 AMG to get a smile. I found the fitment of my XKR on par with the AMG. The more I write about my 2013 XKR the more I want another one, but the model has aged and I want something a little fresher. I'm going to have to drive both the AMG GT-C and a SVR back to back to see which I prefer more. However, if a good deal comes my way for either I'll go after it. I think they are both great cars in their own way.

Last edited by DGL; 01-13-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Banned
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The AMG's are built with better quality than the base Mercedes models.
It depends where you live, too. In a hot US climate, "German engineering" literally melts, the interiors don't understand 180F windows up. The wood and clearcoats crack, the rubber knobs slough and fall off. And in the northeast, salt rusts out the cheap steel quickly. My Japanese interiors and metal quality have fared far better in the US than my German cars. I have only owned classic American cars, so I can't speak to that. And my Jags are fairly new. Low quality German materials function perfectly well in the mild climates of central europe, and some of the more temperate US states.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

This spring, at my golf club. I didn't check to see if he had a handicapped tag...

Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I had a '12 SLK55 that I traded for my Jag. It was quick, comfortable, and problem free. It was 2/3 good looking, hardtop nice but not really necessary in Vegas. never effected by heat. Jag is way sexier and more fun in general. I've been watching AMG gt verts as maybe my next. Most are C's that stickered for $170k so price has a ways to go to get to me. They don't sell a lot so they will hold value for a while, my 2.5 year old AMG held up fine. I bought pretty right.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
I had a '12 SLK55 that I traded for my Jag. It was quick, comfortable, and problem free. It was 2/3 good looking, hardtop nice but not really necessary in Vegas. never effected by heat. Jag is way sexier and more fun in general. I've been watching AMG gt verts as maybe my next. Most are C's that stickered for $170k so price has a ways to go to get to me. They don't sell a lot so they will hold value for a while, my 2.5 year old AMG held up fine. I bought pretty right.
I sold my '13 SLK55 with performance pack after one summer. The so called "speed shift" slush box was extremely slow. I wasn't impressed with the driving experience. It was not in the same league as a SVR (or any V8 F Type) or AMG GT-C--not even close. In fact, the SLK55 AMG was built my Mercedes with some AMG enhancements. The AMG GT-C is solely built by AMG. The AMG GT-C comes with a dual clutch transaxle which is leaps better than any slush box.

The AMG GT-C roadsters are dropping in price fast.

Last edited by DGL; 01-14-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I sold my '13 SLK55 with performance pack after one summer. The so called "speed shift" slush box was extremely slow. I wasn't impressed with the driving experience. It was not in the same league as a SVR (or any V8 F Type) or AMG GT-C--not even close. In fact, the SLK55 AMG was built my Mercedes with some AMG enhancements. The AMG GT-C is solely built by AMG. The AMG GT-C comes with a dual clutch transaxle which is leaps better than any slush box.

The AMG GT-C roadsters are dropping in price fast.
True story. My W204 C63 had speedshift and it was garbage. Why are you hating on "slushboxes" though? You know the SVR you might purchase has a "slushbox"...?

Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

True story. My W204 C63 had speedshift and it was garbage. Why are you hating on "slushboxes" though? You know the SVR you might purchase has a "slushbox"...?
I don't hate! Hating is a mental disease. Slush boxes or should I say sequential transmissions have their applications. The ZF slush box in the F Type is amazing and with the instant torque of the 5l V8 ford motor gives a great driving experience. Although, a dual clutch transaxle is the pinnacle and hard to beat.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default F-Type R wins in both looks and value.

F-Type R wins in both looks and value.

Not to mention cost of ownership. Particularly when purchased used.

And then there's the all-wheel-drive, all-aluminum construction, for winter enjoyment, too.

Quick Reply: F Type SVR convertible vs AMG GT-C convertible