F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type SVR Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I can't say this comes as a surprise. Looking back to the X150, this car would be the equivalent of what was the XKR-S GT (base model=base model, S=R, R=R-S and SVR=R-S GT) And they've essentially followed the same formula: Carbon ceramic brakes, rear wing, some aero, upgraded interior, mild HP/torque increases, suspension tweaks, unique wheels, more aggressive exhaust... And a $50k premium for both the R-S GT and apparently the SVR too.

And, frankly, I'm ok with this. When do I need more then 575hp and the ability to go faster than 200mph? My XKR-S is overkill as it is.

Furthermore, I don't see a hard-core track car as something Jaguar should do- grace, space, pace, right? There are other brands out there for that.

Given all of this, I think the SVR is what it should be. All of this just my 2 cents, of course.

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 01-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Agreed, it's certainly no surprise.

We were just lamenting the continued trend by manufacturers to market and develop new "super high performance" versions, then piling on more weighty luxury items and adding a little power, rather than getting serious about weight reduction. The Colin Chapman approach to high performance is in danger of extinction.

Having said that, I can now take off my Don Quixote hat, stop tilting at windmills, and acknowledge that seems to be what consumers want--just not this consumer.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
I can't say this comes as a surprise. Looking back to the X150, this car would be the equivalent of what was the XKR-S GT (base model=base model, S=R, R=R-S and SVR=R-S GT) And they've essentially followed the same formula: Carbon ceramic brakes, rear wing, some aero, upgraded interior, mild HP/torque increases, suspension tweaks, unique wheels, more aggressive exhaust... And a $50k premium for both the R-S GT and apparently the SVR too.

And, frankly, I'm ok with this. When do I need more then 575hp and the ability to go faster than 200mph? My XKR-S is overkill as it is.

Furthermore, I don't see a hard-core track car as something Jaguar should do- grace, space, pace, right? There are other brands out there for that.

Given all of this, I think the SVR is what it should be. All of this just my 2 cents, of course.
But then why do you need 550 hp at all? The amount of threads on this board where mods are being developed and tested suggests that there is a significant part of the consumer base for these cars that wants an ever crazier version.

I'm among them. The F-type R is plenty powerful, but if this had been a 650 or more HP version and come in ultra blue.. there's a good chance my dealer would have gotten a text already.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

As I said above, there is a design alternative to simply adding more power, which can be far more effective in terms of going fast. Lose the fat!

Unfortunately, most consumers don't understand that 3000 lbs. and 400HP provides essentially the same power-to-weight ratio as 4000 lbs. and 550HP, and the former car will destroy the more powerful latter on a race track. Thus, they'll line up to buy the monster engine and shun the better performer.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
As I said above, there is a design alternative to simply adding more power, which can be far more effective in terms of going fast. Lose the fat!

Unfortunately, most consumers don't understand that 3000 lbs. and 400HP provides essentially the same power-to-weight ratio as 4000 lbs. and 550HP, and the former car will destroy the more powerful latter on a race track. Thus, they'll line up to buy the monster engine and shun the better performer.
True, but for me I don't want just a track monster. I want something crazy fast that also has the human comforts to be a good daily driver.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR™, MSRP Coupé: US$179,925.00

2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR™, MSRP Convertible: US$186,925.00

Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
True, but for me I don't want just a track monster. I want something crazy fast that also has the human comforts to be a good daily driver.
OK, you now have that--a crazy fast, boulevard monster.

The point is if you're going to market a new high-performance version, how about something that caters to the true performance enthusiast instead of a more expensive same old, same old?

For me SVR = Silly Version R

Last edited by Foosh; 01-23-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

When I see an XKR-S GT it looks very different than the XKR-S. Big race looking wing, lots of aero bits, etc. It looks like a "boy racer" car. The SVR looks very mild in comparison. At first glance can't tell the difference really. Maybe their strategy is to eventually do a SVR "GT3" version?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Agreed, it's certainly no surprise.

We were just lamenting the continued trend by manufacturers to market and develop new "super high performance" versions, then piling on more weighty luxury items and adding a little power, rather than getting serious about weight reduction. The Colin Chapman approach to high performance is in danger of extinction.

Having said that, I can now take off my Don Quixote hat, stop tilting at windmills, and acknowledge that seems to be what consumers want--just not this consumer.
+1. Me too!

Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

But then why do you need 550 hp at all? The amount of threads on this board where mods are being developed and tested suggests that there is a significant part of the consumer base for these cars that wants an ever crazier version.

I'm among them. The F-type R is plenty powerful, but if this had been a 650 or more HP version and come in ultra blue.. there's a good chance my dealer would have gotten a text already.
I believe what you're looking for is more in line with the CX-75 concept.. Almost an entirely different model than the F-Type.

I have nothing against wanting an all out performance vehicle, I just don't think the F-Type is a good basis for a hyper car, and I don't think that's the direction the brand is going.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

If you're looking for 650+ horsepower, is that really a daily driver?

Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
When I see an XKR-S GT it looks very different than the XKR-S. Big race looking wing, lots of aero bits, etc. It looks like a "boy racer" car. The SVR looks very mild in comparison. At first glance can't tell the difference really. Maybe their strategy is to eventually do a SVR "GT3" version?

It's certainly possible, though I recall an interview with Ian Callum saying the SVR models would be the top of the line from here on out. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

As I've said before, whether we like it or not, what I've been reading suggests that Jaguar wants to get away from very hard-core track models.

Not claiming what's right or wrong, simply relaying what I've read.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

As I've said before, whether we like it or not, what I've been reading suggests that Jaguar wants to get away from very hard-core track models.
Jaguar hasn't had a stock-based "hard-core track model" for more than 50 years. They re-kindled the hope they might return to those roots by invoking memories of the last one (E-Type) in creating the F-Type.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar hasn't had a stock-based "hard-core track model" for more than 50 years. They re-kindled the hope they might return to those roots by invoking memories of the last one (E-Type) in creating the F-Type.
I was referring to the XKR-S GT. Maybe a better way to phrase it would have been taking the focus away from track-oriented iterations of the car, and focusing more on higher performance street variants, which is what the SVR represents in my eyes.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Absolutely!!

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 09:51 PM

Absolutely? Why not? A friend of mine daily drives his Z06 and another friend has a modded CTS-V that pushes well past that. Both are great for some spirited driving daily.

The F-Type is already awesome, but how could I not want more power? I'm sure there is a point at which I'd say "enough is enough, no more", but I don't think we've reached it and I don't think I'm alone in feeling this given how many threads there are about ways to increase the power in these cars.

To your point about the CX-75.. GIMME.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Absolutely? Why not? A friend of mine daily drives his Z06 and another friend has a modded CTS-V that pushes well past that. Both are great for some spirited driving daily.

The F-Type is already awesome, but how could I not want more power? I'm sure there is a point at which I'd say "enough is enough, no more", but I don't think we've reached it and I don't think I'm alone in feeling this given how many threads there are about ways to increase the power in these cars.

To your point about the CX-75.. GIMME.
Amen.

Quick Reply: F-Type SVR Discussion Thread