Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type SVR Exhaust tone / pops / crackles question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021 | 10:56 AM
|
Default F Type SVR Exhaust tone / pops / crackles question

Hey

This is my first post on this forum, I've been a non-contributing user before! (sorry) thought it's time I finally register!

So I've just purchased my dream car; an F Type SVR Convertible registered mid 2016 [but the jaguar build sheet says the car is a 2017MY], [my last long term car was a 2014 V6 S convertible.]

Long story short I cannot get this car to pop and crackle as much as my old v6 s car, not in the way I'm used to on command with feathering the throttle in the overrun 3-4K sweet spot.

So I know this is a very long debated topic with lots of suggestions of fuse pulls, K309 unwanted software updates and driving technique/modes suggestions, stuck valves etc etc.

BUT I need to stress being a previous long term f type owner and being fully confident in being able to orchestrate a symphony of crackles, overrun, and snorts exactly how I wanted to out of my V6s those best aspects are not easily transferring to my new SVR .

With my new SVR I'm not getting the same level of control over the 'music'. I can take the car upto 4-5K revs and lift off and feather and get the music, but I would say there is less pops than my v6s and I can't make the stream of pops last as long, or in other words I cannot replicate the same string over and over again, maybe a couple of times and then very little happens by my 3rd-4th attempt in quick succession.

I'm also noticing another weird thing, after a few long over runs, I notice the car will stop giving me pops/bangs, almost as if its protecting itself from hurting the o2 sensors possibly??

My SVR has currently no fault codes on SDD, there is no issues with the valves opening and closing and the drama is all being attempted in sport + dynamic + valves open, with all that turned off my car sounds nothing special below 3K revs. (the valves are 100% working as there is a significant increase in volume / engine tone improvement between valves open and closed, volume level above 4K revs is not an issue, it’s the feedback on overrun.

So in a nutshell, I can get some drama, but not always on command, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't, and I can't see any fault with driving modes, fault codes, or exhaust valves being the issue.

My gut and worry is that this is a software related issue. The car has not been modified to the best of my knowledge and the Vin number ends K40358 which I don't think was part of the K309 bulletin? So is there some other kind of updated that a previous dealer could have done to suck some fun out of the F type or is there truly such a feature where I can have some fun, but not continuously and the car is protecting itself?

I'd actually very much love input from someone at VAP on this because I'm thinking of getting one of their tunes to dial back in some more fun but I'd first like to know exactly what my car is doing and why its doing it and then go about overcoming it.

Advance thank you to anyone who reads and replies.

The following users liked this post:
tdienes (12-29-2023)
Old 10-15-2021 | 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know if anyone on the forum knows for sure. @Cambo may be able to find out, but the thought is that there was an update to quiet down the exhaust theater for the European markets. Some people in North America claim to have received the update and quieted their exhaust but I don't know if there is a way to prove it did or didn't happen (i.e. did their dealership apply the wrong update). But yes, it does seem that Jaguar did react to certain noise requirements in specific locales.

Old 10-15-2021 | 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I don't know if anyone on the forum knows for sure. @Cambo may be able to find out, but the thought is that there was an update to quiet down the exhaust theater for the European markets. Some people in North America claim to have received the update and quieted their exhaust but I don't know if there is a way to prove it did or didn't happen (i.e. did their dealership apply the wrong update). But yes, it does seem that Jaguar did react to certain noise requirements in specific locales.
No question that my 2015 V6S lost much of the snap, crackle, pops after a visit to my dealership—whom I have a brilliant relationship with—after some kind of update [TSB]. That prompted me to immediately contact Stuart at VAP to “correct” the issue as the snap, crackle and pops was—in my opinion—an added “attraction”. VAP was the way to go in my case….

Old 10-15-2021 | 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

What's your technique for the pops and bangs? Mine is also a 2017 SVR and has all the latest software updates run. Gives me plenty of pops and bangs - even in normal modes. I'm happy to test your approach at the weekend and see if I can replicate

I seem to get more pops and bangs when I first set off then once it has warmed up I feel like there are less. But maybe just imagining that.

Old 10-17-2021 | 04:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by BritCars
What's your technique for the pops and bangs? Mine is also a 2017 SVR and has all the latest software updates run. Gives me plenty of pops and bangs - even in normal modes. I'm happy to test your approach at the weekend and see if I can replicate

I seem to get more pops and bangs when I first set off then once it has warmed up I feel like there are less. But maybe just imagining that.
thanks for your replies

So I'm using the same technique as my 2014 F type v6s which I'd rev upto 4-4.5k lift off, and ever so lightly tap the throttle and I could make it continuously burble all the way through till 2.8k revs. With the SVR I have to mash the throttle harder than the v6s and rev probably slightly higher, around 5k to get the snap crackle and pops!

But you're right about the car getting warm, it does less fireworks if you over use it, that's what I'm finding anyway.

I can make it do what I want but not always so the technique works fine but not 100% every single time, but the same technique was 100% reliable in my v6s.

It's putting a downer to owning an SVR!