Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type SVR Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 11:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default F-type SVR Purchase Help

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Finally decided to take the plunge and purchase what has been a want for a few years - an SVR. I have a few options and wanted to get a few quick opinions. Choices are:

1. 2018 SVR Coupe
2. 2019 SVR Coupe
3. 2019 SVR Convertible

- Are there any major differences between the '18 and '19 model years? I've read the '19 European models have the OPF filters and muted exhaust software versions installed.
- Are there any points I should look out for? I plan to take the cars to a reputable garage and have them looked over before we conclude.
(The 2019 coupe has Carbon Ceramics which I've heard are expensive and saw a thread on here where they needed to be replaced fairly soon).
(I'd also prefer the convertible but it's an older car with more moving parts, any word on reliability around these?)

Thanks for the help

Old 12-19-2021, 11:16 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

All good choices, go with the colors and options that you want the most.

I have a 20 and your ears will feel like you have been at a rock concert standing in front of the tower speakers after running hard with the exhaust open, and it does all the snapping and popping I want it to do, when I want it to do it.

The following users liked this post:
Zer0 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SVR 575
All good choices, go with the colors and options that you want the most.

I have a 20 and your ears will feel like you have been at a rock concert standing in front of the tower speakers after running hard with the exhaust open, and it does all the snapping and popping I want it to do, when I want it to do it.
Thanks, looking forward to it

Old 12-19-2021, 11:25 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Can't comment on the newer versions, but my '14 vert has been just as reliable as my other cars. I've never had a problem with the top.
If it is still an option make sure that you get the Vision pkg (I think that's what it was called) if you get the droptop. The B "pillars" are ginormous and really impede vision on the sides. But there is nothing like dropping the top on a nice day and blasting through the twisties with exhaust open.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:35 PM

Just realised the infotainment system changed across years; the '18 has the physical buttons.

Is the drivers cockpit the same or did that change as well? Also, is it possible to upgrade the system with OEM parts?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2021, 12:45 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0
Just realised the infotainment system changed across years; the '18 has the physical buttons.
Early MY18s had the physical buttons, later ones got the 10" upgrade.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

The Carbon Ceramic Brakes are expensive because they are a $12,000 option but I have had zero issues with mine and have not heard of anyone that has. When I was searching for my SVR the ceramic brakes were the number one priority even over color and I have not regretted the decision especially after having an R without them. No brake dust is pure bliss!

Old 12-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The OP indicated that he was going to have the car (or cars) checked out before purchasing, which is the right idea. As far as ceramic brakes, if you are not a racer who stands on his brakes continually, I've never really seen the value of that option. I know they're "dust free", but on both my '18 F type R and now my '21 F type R, I bought both cars new with the standard brakes and switched them out at 1000 miles for Porterfield R4S's (my like new OEM pads are listed for sale in the Marketplace). The R4S pads, front and rear, cost around $300 and work just fine for me....they are practically dust free, hardly see anything after miles of driving. I'm not a road racer (only occasionally when I get challenged on the street!), but the brakes work fine for me in street traveling. That's always been my choice considering the ultra high cost of replacement ceramics.
Pick the car you like better, condition, features and color, would be my suggestion.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. It’s one of those annoying situations where they’re all similar. It’s essentially now a toss-up between CCB’s, a convertible and the newer screen (it’s an early ‘18 model with the smaller screen).

Good problems I guess.

Also considered an R8 RWD and a 992 GTS. The former for its engine but I’ve read pretty bad reports about how neutered the exhaust notes are on current models. Depreciation which has typically been a headache isn’t the case anymore - particularly with rumours of an all electric replacement.

The 911 while a great cab is just very expensive for what should be a fun weekend car.

SVR seems to be the sweet spot so fingers crossed it all works out.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Zer0,

I just purchased and '18 SVR with CCB. Besides the brake dust being less, the CCM and drilled rotors make the car look absolutely stunning (assuming you like the look). You also get forged wheels with the pack. Not sure if the non CCB wheels are forged, but you can always go aftermarket for those. The CCB's are 6-piston in the front, which is an upgrade over the Ftype R, but the R brakes were more than adequate. I love the look of the bigger brakes and drilled rotors. After 31k I haven't replaced the brake pads or rotors on my R, can't imagine the CCB will be that different.
The 18's and above have the thinner seats and provide more room, along with other features. I have the 10" touch screen which is also a nice feature. Although I was only able to drive my car a few times before winter, I did confirm the crackles and pops are still there.
If you go with the convertible you won't need to decide on the panoramic roof. Mine came loaded with the carbon package including the roof. I preferred the glass but the look of the carbon from the exterior is special as well.
If you want a convertible, you want a convertible. Not a vert guy, so only coupe for me.
I can say this, it drives like a different car than my '16R despite what some have said on the forum. I am not just biased as my son has driven both, and without asking he couldn't believe the difference either. And the SVR has the P zero's while the R has the Michelin 4S.

Have it checked out as you suggest, and also check the in-service date for your warranty period. If you are in the USA, the five years will still have you in the warranty for awhile. If it is being sold from a Jag dealer, see if you can get it CPO'd or the CPO extend if only an additional year. Should be worth it. Check the service records to see what has been done and other available info like carfax. Also run the vin through the link below (thanks FType Registry). If there is a deciding factor it may be condition and mileage, but you will want to get the color and features you want (at least I did). Good luck and post those photos!

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

The following 4 users liked this post by jaguny:
DJS (12-20-2021), Ftyperegistry (12-20-2021), Mbourne (12-20-2021), Zer0 (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 AM

Thanks @jaguny

Looks like it'll be the convertible for me. Looking forward to updating the thread with pictures.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (12-22-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I agree with Jaguny and Portlander on CCB. I love the look, drive great and no dust. Yes - expensive new. But I bought my SVR used so the first owner paid for them!

But - any on your list sound like great options. You won't regret it.

The following 2 users liked this post by BritCars:
jaguny (12-22-2021), Portlander (12-21-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Early MY18s had the physical buttons, later ones got the 10" upgrade.
Interesting. How late and which trims? I think it might have only applied to a very small number. I have seen hundreds of pictures of 2018 F-Types and I have never seen any with the 10” upgrade. For sure none of the MY 18 SVRs. Was it after a certain VIN? Attached is a recent pic of the second to last MY 2018 SVR SAJDA1AE2JCK55667 showing physical buttons. Not even the last MY 18 SAJDB1BXXJCK55803 was equipped with the 10 inch

Old 12-22-2021, 11:54 PM

Hi guys, got feedback from the inspection and two things of note:

1. ALL TIRES EXPIRES 2016 PRODUCTION (FRT 265/35/ZR20 99Y – REAR 305/30/ZR20 99Y)
2. FAULT CODE IN SYSTEM RELATED TO GETWAY MODULE RELAY NEED MORE HOURS TO CONFIRM

I've read up about the tires and general consensus seems to be that they do need to be changed every 6 years or so. The car is low mileage (under 2K - which was a welcome surprise) but I've read this doesn't matter. Any informed opinions? I'll probably change them out anyway, can't be too careful with safety.

The fault code I'm told isn't a big deal and can be remedied with further investigation. Has anyone come across this?

As always, thanks for the help.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Hi guys, got feedback from the inspection and two things of note:

1. ALL TIRES EXPIRES 2016 PRODUCTION (FRT 265/35/ZR20 99Y – REAR 305/30/ZR20 99Y)
2. FAULT CODE IN SYSTEM RELATED TO GETWAY MODULE RELAY NEED MORE HOURS TO CONFIRM

I've read up about the tires and general consensus seems to be that they do need to be changed every 6 years or so. The car is low mileage (under 2K - which was a welcome surprise) but I've read this doesn't matter. Any informed opinions? I'll probably change them out anyway, can't be too careful with safety.

The fault code I'm told isn't a big deal and can be remedied with further investigation. Has anyone come across this?

As always, thanks for the help.
Tyres degrade with age even if they aren't being used, the rubber eventually goes hard, perishes, cracks, splits etc.
IIRC the safe rule of thumb is six years.
And if they are P-Zeros you want to dump them anyway and get something decent like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, especially on an SVR.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Interesting. How late and which trims? I think it might have only applied to a very small number.
No idea. I deduced my info from the fact that all MY18s were offered a software update to activate CarPlay and Android Auto. It was then discovered that only those with the 10" screens would support it so a second update became available to remove it from the 8" screen versions.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by scm
No idea. I deduced my info from the fact that all MY18s were offered a software update to activate CarPlay and Android Auto. It was then discovered that only those with the 10" screens would support it so a second update became available to remove it from the 8" screen versions.
I thought the MY18 cars supported CarPlay?! I had a look through the menu and there were options for apple and Android phones. Is there no way to get an OEM CarPlay solution (without changing the infotainment) ?

Old 12-23-2021, 07:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the MY18 cars supported CarPlay?! I had a look through the menu and there were options for apple and Android phones. Is there no way to get an OEM CarPlay solution (without changing the infotainment) ?
if CarPlay is important to you then you should look at MY19 and later. It’s only available on the 10” screens (InControl TouchPro).

Old 12-23-2021, 10:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member

AIUI, some MY18 cars supported CarPlay, but you need the 10" screen. My menu got the options for Android and Apple after the initial software update but nothing works. I haven't had the second update that removes those items from the menu. ALthough I did get an unexpected SOTA update a few days ago and haven't checked the menu since, so maybe they've gone now.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Zer0,

I just purchased and '18 SVR with CCB......

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/
Was that black with tan interior? I was looking at that one!

Quick Reply: F-type SVR Purchase Help