Sponsored by:

F-type SVR Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 12:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Interesting. How late and which trims? I think it might have only applied to a very small number. I have seen hundreds of pictures of 2018 F-Types and I have never seen any with the 10” upgrade. For sure none of the MY 18 SVRs. Was it after a certain VIN? Attached is a recent pic of the second to last MY 2018 SVR SAJDA1AE2JCK55667 showing physical buttons. Not even the last MY 18 SAJDB1BXXJCK55803 was equipped with the 10 inch
Are the SVRs completely produced on the same production line as the other models? If they're finished by SVO maybe they had a stock of 8" screens and used them all, while some of the later "lesser" models got the 10" one? Or it was a conscious decision to not fit the 10" screens? Who knows?

Old 12-23-2021, 11:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The CarPlay omission is a bit of a bummer. I had googled earlier and read that the update was available to ‘18 units and up but realising from reading a bit more it’s only available for 10” screen F-Types. This is a major problem for me as I’ll certainly need google maps / Waze for navigation.

I’d have loved an OEM 10” retrofit but it appears that isn’t possible. Really a shame.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
AIUI, some MY18 cars supported CarPlay, but you need the 10" screen. My menu got the options for Android and Apple after the initial software update but nothing works. I haven't had the second update that removes those items from the menu. ALthough I did get an unexpected SOTA update a few days ago and haven't checked the menu since, so maybe they've gone now.
I applied the OTA update to ICTP in my ‘18 XE a week or two ago, and it’s now much more likely that it takes more than a minute to boot when I start the car. Often the display is completely black, though it always eventually boots.

Nice update. 😡

Old 12-24-2021, 10:48 AM

Looks like I’ll proceed with the purchase. It’s just really good value. I’ve done a ton of reading on the CarPlay issue (will probably start a separate thread) but most of the information is a few years old. There appear to be 4 broad solutions;

1. Suck it up, get a phone mount and use your phone
2. Chinese Android units (there’s a 12.3 portrait version now!)
3. UAD control unit (sent them an email to confirm which head unit i have as installation in a convertible can be very difficult)
4. Retrofit the 10” unit from another car - but this is very complicated and not financially feasible.

Also have a software update due but worried about the exhaust being neutered - it’s one of the primary reasons I’m buying the car.

it’s great to have forums like this where people are super helpful and share a passion. Hoping to become a contributor as well. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0
Looks like I’ll proceed with the purchase. It’s just really good value. I’ve done a ton of reading on the CarPlay issue (will probably start a separate thread) but most of the information is a few years old. There appear to be 4 broad solutions;

1. Suck it up, get a phone mount and use your phone
2. Chinese Android units (there’s a 12.3 portrait version now!)
3. UAD control unit (sent them an email to confirm which head unit i have as installation in a convertible can be very difficult)
4. Retrofit the 10” unit from another car - but this is very complicated and not financially feasible.

Also have a software update due but worried about the exhaust being neutered - it’s one of the primary reasons I’m buying the car.

it’s great to have forums like this where people are super helpful and share a passion. Hoping to become a contributor as well. Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Exhaust is an easy fix. You can pull a fuse to make it angry again. Depends on the year...one is fuse 15 but I can't remember the other.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (12-26-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 04:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Exhaust is an easy fix. You can pull a fuse to make it angry again. Depends on the year...one is fuse 15 but I can't remember the other.
F43 for earlier years, I believe.

Fireze22 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 10:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

If the software kills the pops and burbles on overrun, pulling the fuse won’t get those back. Some have resorted to the VAP tune just to get those back.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
If the software kills the pops and burbles on overrun, pulling the fuse won’t get those back. Some have resorted to the VAP tune just to get those back.
Yeah, this is what I’m worried about…

Old 12-25-2021, 11:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Well it may be true that you'll never get the older level of pops and burbles without the tune. But in my opinion, it was a little much anyway. I'm hoping I'll be happy with the flaps being open all the time and just getting that V8 sound.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:04 AM

Well it may be true that you'll never get the older level of pops and burbles without the tune. But in my opinion, it was a little much anyway. I'm hoping I'll be happy with the flaps being open all the time and just getting that V8 sound.
I can understand this. Thing is I want the dinosaur. It’s an extreme car and I plan to keep it a long time as an example of the good ‘ol analogue days. I currently have an M8 with a 911 GTS on order and it will be my daily so I have a reasonable modern sports car.

I drove a 4S when I placed my order and yes it’s an immensely capable car but it’s just a little…boring. I won’t be tracking or setting lap times so I just want as fun a weekend drive experience as possible.

Fireze22 (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 08:31 AM

So…

Posting this as it might be helpful to someone. After reading up a bit it might be possible to actually retrofit the 10” OEM screen to a very small subset of MY18 F Types. I’m going to make a separate thread about it because I’m not particularly conversant with the technicalities and would need a fair bit of help.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:34 AM

Quick question, can anyone (if I provide my VIN) help me check which software updates have been applied to a car and when?

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:59 AM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Quick question, can anyone (if I provide my VIN) help me check which software updates have been applied to a car and when?

Thanks.
Since you seem very concerned about the sound and software updates done to the car, I want to emphasize that the car should exactly sound like the car in this video:

Especially note that you can make the car pop on-demand and near endlessly by just tapping on the accelerator. You can downshift, tap tap and it'll just pop forever all the way down, without even giving it any gas.

To my knowledge, ONLY the 2017 and 2018 cars with the original/earlier software updates do this. I've tested a 2020 one and it does not have the same behavior. The 2020 I tested only popped for a bit on throttle lift-off at around 4K and then no more until you did another pull to 4K. It's a night and day difference.

Here's a video of mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/CT2S-RBpb_j/
Happy to take more videos to demonstrate what you should be looking for.

My service is due in 1-2 weeks and I'm so nervous bringing it in in case some tech decides to reflash the car.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:13 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Xec
Since you seem very concerned about the sound and software updates done to the car, I want to emphasize that the car should exactly sound like the car in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkpntQOn5U

Especially note that you can make the car pop on-demand and near endlessly by just tapping on the accelerator. You can downshift, tap tap and it'll just pop forever all the way down, without even giving it any gas.

To my knowledge, ONLY the 2017 and 2018 cars with the original/earlier software updates do this. I've tested a 2020 one and it does not have the same behavior. The 2020 I tested only popped for a bit on throttle lift-off at around 4K and then no more until you did another pull to 4K. It's a night and day difference.

Here's a video of mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/CT2S-RBpb_j/
Happy to take more videos to demonstrate what you should be looking for.

My service is due in 1-2 weeks and I'm so nervous bringing it in in case some tech decides to reflash the car.
It appears I jumped the gun a bit…my car sounds exactly like that Very pleased. A few things of note for anyone else in a similar situation:

1. The car (after service) did change the default ‘dynamic’ settings. I needed to go into the menu and change them back
2. The pops are a lot more prevalent in sports mode and surprisingly rarer in dynamic. The method that works consistently for me is - exhaust on, sports mode, rev to about 3K and lift off.
3. You can also get them in any mode if you simply downshift to about 3/4K and feather the throttle.

I’ll update the thread with pictures when it’s washed. Thanks again for all the help

Ftyperegistry (12-28-2021)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:49 PM

And tow night shots...

The following 2 users liked this post by Zer0:
DJS (01-08-2022), jaguny (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:04 AM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Cool pics. I have a question tho. I thought you said you were buying SAJDA5BE5JCK46158 ??? This one is JCK46155?? Reason Im asking is because this one (JCK46155) was for sale in Dubai a couple months ago. Did you have JCK158 and JCK46155 to choose from. Here is link of previous listing in Dubai https://www.albacars.ae/buy-used-car...pe-SVR-5.0L-V8

Old 01-08-2022, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Cool pics. I have a question tho. I thought you said you were buying SAJDA5BE5JCK46158 ??? This one is JCK46155?? Reason Im asking is because this one (JCK46155) was for sale in Dubai a couple months ago. Did you have JCK158 and JCK46155 to choose from. Here is link of previous listing in Dubai https://www.albacars.ae/buy-used-car...pe-SVR-5.0L-V8
Those are actually great pictures, thanks. I did buy 46158. I don't believe the car I have is the one from Albacars. I had this and two coupes to choose from (both with about 4,500 miles on them)

Last edited by Zer0; 01-08-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:40 AM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Beautiful pics! Congrats!

Old 01-08-2022, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Those are actually great pictures, thanks. I did buy 46158. I don't believe the car I have is the one from Albacars. I had this and two coupes to choose from (both with about 4,500 miles on them)
Another question for you. In your day and night pictures, wondering why the day pics have color matched hood vents, and night pics, they are black? Do you have 2 different cars? Or did you paint them very quickly??

DC

Old 01-08-2022, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Another question for you. In your day and night pictures, wondering why the day pics have color matched hood vents, and night pics, they are black? Do you have 2 different cars? Or did you paint them very quickly??

DC
Lol, no I didn’t paint them quickly…had full PPF done on the car and the gloss black bits wrapped (I’d actually asked for 100% PPF but they included the hood vents).

I’m actually in the process of sourcing OEM carbon bits for the car. Mirror caps purchased and will arrive next week. Hood vents and front splitters next.

Also have a 10” OEM infotainment system on the way to retrofit (have a separate thread on this).

Quick Reply: F-type SVR Purchase Help