F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Underglow

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Type Underglow

Anybody here have experience putting underglow or any LED lights on their F-Type? I want to connect them to the battery because the pack I bought has a box that shuts off the power to the LEDs when the car is turned off.
Only problem here is that the F-Type battery has additions made specifically for jumper cables, areas made for clamps. The lights I got have circular attachments.. so I'm not sure what to do here without screwing them on or doing a makeshift and likely unreliable job with electrical tape.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

I cannot be reading this right......

The following 2 users liked this post by GeorgeIII:
uclabrruin1989 (12-28-2022), YRS (01-13-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
I cannot be reading this right......
Uh oh lol, did I brain fart?

Old 12-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

To each his own...

Old 12-28-2022, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Fink65
To each his own...
Honestly confused because there's no spot to attach the connector from the LEDs, just a flap of metal sticking out. Didnt have this issue on my other car so it's completely new to me on how to deal with it. Just dont want to mess it up I want a reversible solution

Old 12-28-2022, 04:15 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but so what? These cars are meant to be enjoyed, so go for it.

If you want to install the LED control box in the trunk, then you could attach the ring eyes to the power distribution strip under the trunk floor. Verts and coupes are different, and things moved around in later MYs. But pull out the trunk liner and take a look. Should be at least one ground stud that can be used.

The following users liked this post:
Rat Fink65 (01-13-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Not my cup of tea, but so what? These cars are meant to be enjoyed, so go for it.

If you want to install the LED control box in the trunk, then you could attach the ring eyes to the power distribution strip under the trunk floor. Verts and coupes are different, and things moved around in later MYs. But pull out the trunk liner and take a look. Should be at least one ground stud that can be used.
That's where I'd go too. I'm actually looking specifically for an underhood set of switched and unswitched power connections and have yet to find ones that meet my needs. I don't want to tap into any wires and want the installation to be as clean as possible. No, I'm not looking at any extra lighting. I'm looking to install an ultrasonic rodent repelling device, and under the hood is where they've done the most damage. I could run wires from the back but would rather not.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:18 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That's where I'd go too. I'm actually looking specifically for an underhood set of switched and unswitched power connections and have yet to find ones that meet my needs. I don't want to tap into any wires and want the installation to be as clean as possible. No, I'm not looking at any extra lighting. I'm looking to install an ultrasonic rodent repelling device, and under the hood is where they've done the most damage. I could run wires from the back but would rather not.
wouldn't you just plug it into your garage power point rather than the hassle of connecting to your car and having to do a dc-ac conversion as well, sure it not going to protect you when away from home but the likely hood of that must be miniscule/negligible

Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Borbor
wouldn't you just plug it into your garage power point rather than the hassle of connecting to your car and having to do a dc-ac conversion as well, sure it not going to protect you when away from home but the likely hood of that must be miniscule/negligible
The unit I got runs on 12V because the cat sleeps outside. If it were inside a garage the problem would be simpler.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:37 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Ok that makes sense.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:30 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

@Bslack I have under glow wired on my car. To each their own is correct. On the passenger side fuse box, there are two always hot fuses (can't remember fuse location, I want to say 15) but a voltmeter or other tester can tell you what is hot, once the car hibernates. Nevertheless, I use a fuse tap to add a second fuse for the under glow, so I can power with the car off. Ran a switch through the side firewall into the cabin, located under my glove box. Originally had this wired into the center cubby with a switch that replaced the acces. outlet, but ran into some issues, I removed it from there. The under glow setup I have came with a wireless remote, so I could technically leave the switch in the on position all the time and just control it with the remote, but choose to not risk having it draw power that way while the car is off and sitting as it is not a daily driver.

The LED strips themselves, I spliced waterproof connectors to each of the ends to allow for me to still be able to remove the front under engine tray or replace just one strip if they ever went bad. So far, so good. I ran the strip for the rear across the center brace. Not as far back as I would have liked it, but did not want it on the bumper diffuser directly and the exhaust back is in the way otherwise, so it works for all intended purposes.

Here is a shot of them on during a breast cancer awareness car show (hence the color choice). To each their own, but I like them on occasion and run with them off, most of the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by skizot:
BruceTheQuail (01-02-2023), Rat Fink65 (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 09:38 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The unit I got runs on 12V because the cat sleeps outside. If it were inside a garage the problem would be simpler.
FWIW, it seems to me that the F-type electrical system never really 'shuts off' - which is why so many forum members have found religion using a CTEK or similar battery conditioner. As such, I'd think it'd be damn difficult to find such a circuit for your plan.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the rodent blaster to an always-live circuit and then wire in a cheap 12 volt RF switch with it's own fob? That should work with an under-chassis light as well.

The only problems I could see is that it WILL drain your battery... and that, IMHO, those rodent blasters never really work anyway. (I've seen folks in my neighborhood build a foil-wrapped 12" high fence around their vehicles. That seem to work find until the coyotes make their rounds.)

Old 12-30-2022, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by theEIger
FWIW, it seems to me that the F-type electrical system never really 'shuts off' - which is why so many forum members have found religion using a CTEK or similar battery conditioner. As such, I'd think it'd be damn difficult to find such a circuit for your plan.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the rodent blaster to an always-live circuit and then wire in a cheap 12 volt RF switch with it's own fob? That should work with an under-chassis light as well.

The only problems I could see is that it WILL drain your battery... and that, IMHO, those rodent blasters never really work anyway. (I've seen folks in my neighborhood build a foil-wrapped 12" high fence around their vehicles. That seem to work find until the coyotes make their rounds.)
I have my doubts about its effectiveness but it was recommended by a co-worker. It uses the switched power to turn off when the car is on, although that's optional. Claimed power usage is 0.1W. I haven't checked the normal draw when the car is "off" but I don't expect it will be noticeable for the lengths of time the car goes without use. I've given thought to running it from a rechargeable battery also. Even a modestly sized one should run for months.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Underglow has kind of come back around since the popularity of the 2000's and the disgust of the 2010's, I feel like now it's a niche choice that can complement a cars overall theme.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I used to love adding it to cars on NFSU2. I'd rather that than the ridiculous factory fitted ambient lighting I have for the F Type interior, which only changes a couple of lights...

Old 01-02-2023, 08:40 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I was looking at a Mustang GT350 before purchasing the Jaguar. The man was older than me (I am 53) and he had lighting on that car which would have been the first thing I would have ripped off but clearly I was proven wrong thinking it was only younger people that did that to their vehicles.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Underglow has kind of come back around since the popularity of the 2000's and the disgust of the 2010's, I feel like now it's a niche choice that can complement a cars overall theme.
I guess I'm still living in the '10s.

scm (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

As long as nozzle lights don't become a thing again, I'm good.

Here in MA, underlighting and nozzle lights are illegal on public ways.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thunder Dump, I had completely forgotten about those or maybe it was a repressed memory. Thanks for the nightmares.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Late reply, kind of forgot about this thread, but I ended up purchasing a separate item (interior footing glow) since the unit I received ended up only lighting at the base of the strip and the end. I figured out how to make it work btw, thanks yall, cut the positive ring in half and stuck it under a keyhot on the drivers side under the hood.

However, to each their own, I'm from Houston, Texas USA. The culture here is to slang out your cars no matter how unapproved it is by different culture. We do our own thing lol. The mods I make to my car aren't to disrespect the beautiful brand of Jaguar, just to highlight and make it noticed at all times of day at any occasion. I will be installing a new unit of underglow soon, and it isn't going to be the rainbow bs that might be expected. I love my bright white cat so why not add a glowing white aura to highlight the elegance that comes?
Everybody has their own view on this type of subject, so less disrespect and a little bit if understanding please, thanks yall.

skizot (01-17-2023)

Quick Reply: F-Type Underglow