F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V6 exhaust sound options

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type V6 exhaust sound options

I have a V6 with the switchable active exhaust .
What are the best options to get a little more volume/aggressiveness(not looking to spend big money on entire new exhaust).?

Does a resonator delete work with the V6 and switchable exhaust?
Different muffler options?

Anyway to get more burps and pops without going all the way to the vap tune?

Old 12-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

There is a blog somewhere about someone who deleted their resonators from inside the V6 muffler. They cut open the muffler and welded-in straight pipes, then closed the outer 'skin' of the muffler so that it looked un-touched on the bottom.

IIRC the owner who did this mod complained of annoying resonating at some speeds.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The V6 has a resonator in the mid-pipe and the V8 has an X-pipe instead in the same spot.
From my reading and extensive experience in modifying V6 exhaust systems you do NOT want to delete the resonator(s) as 99% of the time it results in horrible and excessive drone. It's all to do with the firing order, exhaust pulses and scavenging effect so that what works for a V8 rarely works for a V6.
I have considered putting an X-pipe in my V6 exhaust system but the advice I have received is that it would not play nice with the V6 and it would result in a crappy sound and probably reduced power/performance.
I find that the stock exhaust on my V6S with the VAP pulley and tune is a fair bit louder than stock and plenty loud enough for me.
Spend your money on that mod and get not just a louder exhaust but an extra 110 or 70 bhp (depending on base or S starting point) and mucho more SC whine to boot!

Old 12-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

In addition to what Oz suggests, you can also add a VAP Valvetronic muffler.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Synthesis,
I have a V6 Premium Coupe with 6-speed manual RWD in BRG on Saddle/Tan.

You asked about 18" wheel upgrades.. There are two options.. the "heavy" OEM wheels, or "lighter" after market wheels.
I run on 20" OEM wheels today, but purchased some 19" OEM rims from eBay so I can get some "street tires" that have some more side wall.
The 20" wheels with 30/35 series tires have very little side wall and can be a bit harsh on rough roads, hence I will put on track rubber on my 20"
The 19" wheels have taller side walls and less width.. leading to more economical tire costs and less "crisp" handling at the limit which makes them more street-able.
There are a few videos on YouTube that show the diminishing performance benefits to larger wheels and the increasing costs of larger wheels. So choose wisely.

An other mod that I have done is the short shifter from @Unhingd which is a nice touch.

The most practical mod I made was installing a back-up camera and over-the-mirror head unit with forward camera / recording / blind spot detection / GPS tracking..etc.

I am considering going from the "Silver" brakes to the "Black" or "Red" which will give me a bit more track time before I start to feel brake fade.
The larger brakes are available on eBay and bolt on to the base and Premium cars (from the S, R, SVR cars).... but you may need 19" or 20" wheels to clear the larger brake calipers.
And also be careful, as the "ceramic" "Yellow" brakes may not fit on your base model.. lots of changes were made to integrate those on the SVR and "big" cats.

Note:
I like my glass roof, and would never give up seeing the stop lights, rather than crane my neck to see them ..
I also like my open diff as it gives me just one wheel spin during high torque corners... leading to fairly benign behaviors... while a limited slip diff can lead to both wheels spinning and simultaneous loss of traction at the rear.

In the mean time.. drive the cat... let it be seen in it's natural habitat (rather than the garage/cage).

Old 11-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed the resonator and installed a X-pipe. Go to my post below and listen for yourself. I like it better and don't get the drone mentioned in the above posts.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nstall-208912/