F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V6 S | Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question F-Type V6 S | Aftermarket Exhaust

I have been searching forum for a V6 specific thread and aftermarket exhaust information and it's been minimal, so I started this thread.

Background:
I have a V6S with the OEM exhaust system (headers to mufflers).
In the quest for HP and not noise, I looked into exhaust.
After speaking with my local Jag dealer and the service manager (who is a tech) he shared with me that the OEM exhaust is NOT GOOD. He stated the cats and muffler are super restrictive and the whole system is overweight. He also stated the muffler is huge and heavy.
asked about just doing cat's and the muffler and he stated that if you can do the headers back you should see significant improvement in performance (weight losss + high flow). From there he said the new air intake system, to replace the OEM airbox, will then work properly.
My next question was how this would then effect the standard crank pully upgrade and tune. He stated you need to do a crank pully + supercharger pully + tune and you should hit around 470bhp.
Finally I asked about a port and polish on the OEM supercharger. He stated the OEM SC is also restrictive; it was rough inside and the screws are missing air and thus there is a lot of low air volume flow and heat. So the SC port and polish was a great idea mixed with the new intake and full exhaust. He stated that he would guess around 500bhp with all of that done and maybe more depending on what shop did the SC port and polish.
jcat009 mentioned to Mustang Cobra forums and what they have done and this service manager referenced those forums too.
My plan is to do all of the above, in time, and I will report back here with dyno numbers on each stage (exhaust + intake, pully's + tune, SC port and polish.
If anyone has any performance and weight related data on aftermarket, or custom exhaust, systems please share it here.

Any information you can share would be helpful.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

https://quicksilverexhausts.store/collections/jaguar-f-type/products/f-type-v6-coupe-and-convertible-sport-exhaust-system-2014-on

Hi,

We don't offer [size=13px]down-pipes[/size] for this model and the cat-back is mainly for a more progressive note, deeper tone and increased projection. We don't market this one with any performance gains, though have seen 3-5 hp increases reported by customers.

Best regards,

Ollie
Quicksilver Exhausts

Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

First, you need to be more skeptical of what the service manager tells you. This is the first time I hear about "cats and muffler are super restrictive", especially considering that active exhaust has a bypass mode. Yes, it is heavy, but the car will be too loud without mufflers that are the heavy part. Make sure you can live with much-louder car before you mod exhaust.

Second, "significant improvement in performance" on exhaust has not been seen on any tuned car so far. Many tried, including full cat delete exhaust with glass packs and custom headers. All they got is a bunch of codes and too-loud car in return. So your tech is wrong saying there is "significant" power to be had. Also, depending on where you live, it will make your car not street legal.

Third, "the new air intake system, to replace the OEM airbox" was also tried multiple times. No gains. Again your tech is outright wrong with this.

Forth, he is not wrong saying that port and polish will make some difference - but you need to port and polish both supercharger and heads and also port and gasket match them to see notable increase in flow. When combined with tune and pulley you will see large gains, but you will also start having heat issues. You will need to upgrade cooling to make all of this work repeatedly and reliably.

Last but not least, you need to understand what each mod does and why. At least basics, so you are not floundering and listening to some Joe Schmoe telling you how he riced his Civic. F-type is not like that.

You also need to understand dangers of each mode you are doing. More power results in more heat and more stress on each component. Your differential will go. Your clutch will go. Bad things will happen to gearbox if you don't shift perfectly every time.

Last edited by SinF; 07-13-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I already beta tested tuned tube headers and 200cell cats. We netted only about 3-5 more hp and a sound that was horrendously loud, raspy and obnoxious. The project was abandoned and I reverted back to the OEM cats and cast header. My final solution was to replace the OEM dual pipe muffler with a VAP Valvetronic quad pipe muffler designed for the V8. No additional power, but a real sweet deep sound.

The following users liked this post:
Kennethlow (07-22-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I already beta tested tuned tube headers and 200cell cats. We netted only about 3-5 more hp and a sound that was horrendously loud, raspy and obnoxious. The project was abandoned and I reverted back to the OEM cats and cast header. My final solution was to replace the OEM dual pipe muffler with a VAP Valvetronic quad pipe muffler designed for the V8. No additional power, but a real sweet deep sound.
i also tried unhingd's tube headers and i would not recommend hahaha

Old 07-14-2020, 02:45 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

For starters, Get a new tech or tell him to quit smoking... The factory System on the F-type is extremely highflow and there is very little to be gained with exhaust mods. If you are looking for more sound then I'd recommend the Vap Active System, if you are looking for a little more power, the 200 Cell cats with a tune may net you 15-20 horsepower, again when tuned for that. without the tune Maybe 5-10, a good amount more noise. going fully catless on the V6 sounds terrible IMO, way too loud and raspy. This is a jaguar, not a mustang, I love loud, but it doesn't need to be that Obnoxious.

intakes do absolutely nothing on these cars. Don't waste your time and money. The only correct thing he said is Porting the Blower, Now if it's worth the effort in terms of how much gains you are gonna see, I don't know about that. Your best bet for power is a tune and pulley, people are seeing 450 all day long with those 2 mods, and stock everything else. If you want more noise and power, like I said the 200 cell cats, but a buddy of mine has them with the "OEM muffler mod", and he had to put a set of Vibrant Resonators to tone it down, he did say the car felt noticeably quicker once they sent the new file (VAP)

Keep in mind doing anything besides the exhaust is most likely going to void your warranty so if that's something that matters to you, you may want to reconsider your options. I personally would love an extra 75 horsepower but am not willing to void my warranty as my car has been quiet problematic in the past. For me the Active exhaust is loud enough, I wouldn't mind the VAP system, but at close to $3,000 I have better ways to spend the money at the moment, Maybe one day. an inexpensive way to get more noise is doing the Internal muffler Bypass( I can explain more in depth if you are curious ) if you have the active exhaust. Best way to get more volume without ridiculous rasp, BTW, Do NOT ever take out the Resonator.

Good look with your quest for more power. Keep us updated.

StormTrooper

Last edited by StormtrooperFtype; 07-14-2020 at 02:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StormtrooperFtype:
jcb-memphis (02-22-2022), Sparky H (12-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

My final solution was to replace the OEM dual pipe muffler with a VAP Valvetronic quad pipe muffler designed for the V8. No additional power, but a real sweet deep sound.
I did the same but with the V6 equivalent from VAP...best thing I ever did, it sounds great without being obnoxious, just a little 'extra' which is more than enough given how vocal the stock system is.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:06 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Just to be clear, is this the product you guys are talking about?

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...c-sound-level/

I love the active exhaust note but it's missing that final oomph in stock configuration, imo.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Just to be clear, is this the product you guys are talking about?

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...c-sound-level/

I love the active exhaust note but it's missing that final oomph in stock configuration, imo.
Yep, that's the one. This will deliver that final oomph you're looking for!

Old 07-19-2020, 03:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the way that looks, what was the cost difference between the quad exhaust and the dual v6 exhaust?
I cant seem to find v6 design pack rear valance for reasonal price then I may go the valance off a v8 since there's crap load of used ones.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
I like the way that looks, what was the cost difference between the quad exhaust and the dual v6 exhaust?
I cant seem to find v6 design pack rear valance for reasonal price then I may go the valance off a v8 since there's crap load of used ones.
No price differential. $2500 for the standard tips. The V8 muffler can go up to $2900 for ceramic or CF tips.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:12 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Active Exhaust Mod

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
For starters, Get a new tech or tell him to quit smoking... The factory System on the F-type is extremely highflow and there is very little to be gained with exhaust mods. If you are looking for more sound then I'd recommend the Vap Active System, if you are looking for a little more power, the 200 Cell cats with a tune may net you 15-20 horsepower, again when tuned for that. without the tune Maybe 5-10, a good amount more noise. going fully catless on the V6 sounds terrible IMO, way too loud and raspy. This is a jaguar, not a mustang, I love loud, but it doesn't need to be that Obnoxious.

intakes do absolutely nothing on these cars. Don't waste your time and money. The only correct thing he said is Porting the Blower, Now if it's worth the effort in terms of how much gains you are gonna see, I don't know about that. Your best bet for power is a tune and pulley, people are seeing 450 all day long with those 2 mods, and stock everything else. If you want more noise and power, like I said the 200 cell cats, but a buddy of mine has them with the "OEM muffler mod", and he had to put a set of Vibrant Resonators to tone it down, he did say the car felt noticeably quicker once they sent the new file (VAP)

Keep in mind doing anything besides the exhaust is most likely going to void your warranty so if that's something that matters to you, you may want to reconsider your options. I personally would love an extra 75 horsepower but am not willing to void my warranty as my car has been quiet problematic in the past. For me the Active exhaust is loud enough, I wouldn't mind the VAP system, but at close to $3,000 I have better ways to spend the money at the moment, Maybe one day. an inexpensive way to get more noise is doing the Internal muffler Bypass( I can explain more in depth if you are curious ) if you have the active exhaust. Best way to get more volume without ridiculous rasp, BTW, Do NOT ever take out the Resonator.

Good look with your quest for more power. Keep us updated.

StormTrooper
I have been following "exhaust mods/upgrades" since my purchase in June 2020 ("17 S model Convertible).I am vey curious about your internal exhaust mod. Can you send me a link or point me in the right direction? Tnx in advance.
SparkyH