F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V6 S on a Track- A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Type V6 S on a Track- A Few Questions

Thanks for allowing me on with my first post. I live in Wisconsin and am looking for a new, fun road & track car. Well, my home track happens to be Road America, and anyone who knows RA knows that it's hard on your car- especially your brakes.

Now I bought a Focus ST to "learn" what to do. (Don't worry. I've owned an XKR 5.0L Vert and still have a Rover Sport 5.0L, so I'm quite familiar with the brand.) Now it's time to keep stepping it up. I want more speed, but that also means more stress on the car. I have a few questions for you all, and would love to hear some folks who have really tracked their car hard, how it held up.

The model I am looking at is the V6 S with the Super Performance Brake Package. I'd also get the ZF 8-Speed Auto. Why? I'm married. My wife hates riding in manual cars because it makes her carsick. (Even when I shift as smoothly as possible, skipping gears for less shifting.) Also, there may be a few times she'd like to take it out.

My number one concern is the brakes. I don't think I can go out on stock pads. Road America would destroy them in short order and possibly put me in the traps. I have been searching everywhere. I need high temp pads, simple as that. I would think rotors might be a little easier to find. I looked underneath the showroom model and saw brake scoops. That's great news. Jaguar's thinking. I do all my own swaps and fluid changes. I'd put in Motul RBF600.

My other big question is the transmission. I have heard minimal complaints about this 8-Speed overheating. I would try to limit my downshifting with the paddles to help temperatures.

I heard some people say the diff overheats, but it's after these "drift-a-thons" which is not my bag. I just want to fly around a fast track.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I run Hawk DTC-60's for track use on the Focus ST and still have boiled a caliper. I believe that's a ventilation issue. Otherwise the ST has been great with engine, oil and transmission temps stock.

Thanks Crew, and thanks for listening to me!

Old 06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Welcome Mr. Weatherman. I have answers to none of your questions, but I tracked my V6S at Gingerman in SW Michigan, and had a great time. That was my only track experience, so I had an instructor. But I was impressed with the brakes, though I only got it up to 115MPH. I didn't use the paddles, as I wasn't comfortable enough with them, but I would certainly use them now. Had a blast!

Was very impressed when the instructor hammered my car around the track - definitely, a white-knuckle ride! Only thing he didn't like were my P-Zeros.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
Lothar52 (06-08-2015), The Weatherman (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

All I can say is my brakes started to be a concern after a couple of sessions at Thunderhill, which isn't particularly hard on brakes compared to other tracks (from what I've been told). And I wasn't even driving it that hard. It's just a lot to ask from brakes to stop a 4000 pound car. Honestly, if you are thinking this will be your "track" car, I think it's not a good choice. Maybe the occasional fun day here or there. But not a "serious" track car because 4000 pounds is 4000 pounds...

Old 06-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

FWIW, I think there was a recent comparison between the steel and ceramic brakes on the R....after 15 or so stops from 100mph they stopped testing the steel brakes because of heat issue.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Thanks, guys! I can tell you that my Focus ST brings rotor temps well over 900 degrees at times. Someone checked theirs at 1,200 degrees. I know mine do get that hot, but if you have pads that can take that heat, you're "okay." Just make sure you have some air movement in there.

For instance, when we see race cars that have glowing brakes going into the corners, think of how hot that is. They just keep plowing on.

I'm wondering if anyone has found aftermarket race pads yet. That's what I really need to get this project off the ground. I contacted Hawk and Ferodo to see if they're going to make anything at any point here, soon. No word yet, but I just asked them.

It's awesome to hear people out with their cars at the track for HPDEs. It's not like Jaguar really is discouraging that behavior by any means!

https://www.jaguar.com/Images/F-TYPE...m76-110851.pdf

Old 06-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by The Weatherman
I'm wondering if anyone has found aftermarket race pads yet. That's what I really need to get this project off the ground. I contacted Hawk and Ferodo to see if they're going to make anything at any point here, soon. No word yet, but I just asked them.

It's awesome to hear people out with their cars at the track for HPDEs. It's not like Jaguar really is discouraging that behavior by any means!
Certainly, EBC is not yet offering pads for the F-Type.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Certainly, EBC is not yet offering pads for the F-Type.
Oh, maybe I should ask this... Does the F-Type share any pad designs from any other Jaguars? (Especially the fronts.) Maybe if I found some from something else, that'd work.

I also have not heard the best things about EBCs for any sort of track use. Hawk, Ferodo, and Carbotech are the main ones that come to mind. You know, I haven't checked Carbotech yet.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Oh, maybe I should ask this... Does the F-Type share any pad designs from any other Jaguars? (Especially the fronts.) Maybe if I found some from something else, that'd work.

I also have not heard the best things about EBCs for any sort of track use. Hawk, Ferodo, and Carbotech are the main ones that come to mind. You know, I haven't checked Carbotech yet.
Well, this is good to know. Looks like they'll make it if you ask. But still, if you know of any of the calipers used by other Jags on the F-Type with the "Super Performance Brakes" let me know. Here's a link. Read the top. If you order some, post up!

If you do any track days, you should have on pads. I would think the XP10's would be pretty good, but boy, they sure make some intense pads with high heat tolerances. Hopefully you all realize why your stock brakes feel like they're fading. They're not meant for the track.

BTW, most cars with pad sensors at Exotics Racing in Vegas have their pad wear warning lights on. No biggie. You should take those off and save them for your stock pads. Swap back and forth.

Carbotech Performance Brakes: Products-Jaguar Brake Pads & Shoes

Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

For as much as I love my F-Type, if you are looking for a track weapon I would look at the Cayman GTS/GT4, or something similarly lightweight.

I've tracked my V6S (plus many canyon runs pushing it hard) and not had any issues, however if my focus was the track I would have pulled the trigger on the Cayman GTS instead. Factoring in the comfort and usability of the F-Type for daily driving is what led me to purchase the Jag over the Porsche. I also don't often go to the track.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BierNut
For as much as I love my F-Type, if you are looking for a track weapon I would look at the Cayman GTS/GT4, or something similarly lightweight.

I've tracked my V6S (plus many canyon runs pushing it hard) and not had any issues, however if my focus was the track I would have pulled the trigger on the Cayman GTS instead. Factoring in the comfort and usability of the F-Type for daily driving is what led me to purchase the Jag over the Porsche. I also don't often go to the track.
Oh, I understand what you're saying. I want the best of all worlds, all in one car. I also don't want to buy a 911 though. Why? Because the Jag is cool and different. It's formidable at the track. You just have to prep it for such. If Jag took the time to put brake ducts on it, they know what it can do.

Here's a video of me in the new Cayman GTS. I almost caught my time in the GT3. No kidding. I believe I set the fastest time so far at Exotics Racing for the Cayman.

BierNut, you're right, but I think the F-Type can do really well. Look at the speed of the new RC-F. Or even of the RS7. There are a lot of fast boats out there. You've just gotta make sure they're prepped okay. (Except for the new Vette with even the new 8-speed automatic. That's been pretty bad so far, both Z06 and Z51.)

The following users liked this post:
BierNut (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Great video! Watching it makes me hungry to get back out on the track...

The Weatherman (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM

Looks like I also just found the type rotors you should buy for the fronts, at least. They're called Centric High Carbon rotors. My stock Ford Motocrafts warped and had terrible pad smear. These did not. Looks like we're in-luck and they're being made for the Jag. If you track them, throw these on the front for a track day!

ELECTRONIC CATALOG - LOOKUP BY APPLICATION

Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 PM

You can do it, BierNut! I just found our rotors that you should throw on for a track day. (I just posted above you the link to the part number.) Don't forget to put in your Motul RBF600 fluid! I know the V6 S can track, and track hard. I can tell just by looking at the radiators and the scoops under the car.

If you ever just get the itch, that Exotics Racing in Vegas is so worth it. So worth it.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM

Here's where you can buy those front rotors. $155 for a front set! It's like they're giving them away!

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=410&jpid=5

Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Here's where you can buy those front rotors. $155 for a front set! It's like they're giving them away!

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=410&jpid=5
Looks promising, but has anyone ever heard of Centric or even raced/tracked with them?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM

Looks promising, but has anyone ever heard of Centric or even raced/tracked with them?
They're owned by StopTech and receive good reviews for OEM replacement rotors. I do not have any personal experience with them, however.

The following 2 users liked this post by BierNut:
The Weatherman (06-08-2015), Unhingd (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM

Yes. Me. On one of the hardest car on brakes. A Focus ST.

BTW, they are StopTech.

Last edited by The Weatherman; 06-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. Me. On one of the hardest car on brakes. A Focus ST.
Not quite a 3500 lb car, but how did they work for you?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Not quite a 3500 lb car, but how did they work for you?
The only way I'd buy this car for a track would be if I could get pads and Centric (StopTech) High Carbon Rotors. I can. This car is on the buy list. The Centric Rotors were recommended to me by a racer. He was right. It's so much better than a regular rotor. You can look at the color and see the difference.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Info I found on the Centric rotors:

Centric High Carbon Alloy Brake Rotors - Centric Parts

- They state the high carbon rotors are less prone to oxidization, brake squeal, and cracking due to heat.

More info on their "E-Coat" process:

E-COATING - Centric Parts

- Essentially tougher paint used on the hub to prevent oxidization.

They don't seem to market them as "performance" rotors, rather OEM+ rotors. Again, I have no personal experience with these.

Last edited by BierNut; 06-08-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add additional info
The Weatherman (06-08-2015)

Quick Reply: F-Type V6 S on a Track- A Few Questions