F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V8 Oil Level Gauge vs. OBD2 Reading

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
At least with my Mercedes’s, they have the electronic oil level check, but you do it while you are running the engine, including while you are driving the car. That makes it a whole lot easier than the Jag system.
BMW does the same thing but this is actually the *worst* way to do it because if you happened to be critically low on oil, the only way to check it is to run the engine while it's critically low on oil. Not a great engineering decision.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (03-01-2022)
Old 10-10-2021, 01:59 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
BMW does the same thing but this is actually the *worst* way to do it because if you happened to be critically low on oil, the only way to check it is to run the engine while it's critically low on oil. Not a great engineering decision.
BMW obviously thinks anyone driving their "ultimate driving machine" would be competent enough to have checked and topped up the oil before it got critically low. Sadly, since most of them don't even know how to work the indicators, I think they're overestimating by quite some way ....

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (07-05-2023)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:36 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
I don't quite agree with you, although this is all speculative, in my opinion. Whether you have a dipstick or an electronic monitoring system that works while the car is cruising down the highway (M/B version) or has to be checked after the engine is shut down (whether waiting 10 minutes or not), the owners are either wanting to check the oil level or not. All of those systems still have a "warning" alert if your oil falls to dangerous levels. Motor heads like me and quite a few others (I'd guess), regularly check the oil level in their car. Running the engine as it gets critically low on oil still does happen these days if you chose not to check it, regardless of the several options just mentioned. I'll continue to use the Jag system, I just find it a little less "user friendly" then the M/B system, just like I don't like the lack of gauges (engine oil pressure. engine oil temp, boost pressure, a true coolant temperature, etc.) in this sports/GT car. For me, the F type is a beautiful machine, I love to look at it and drive it. It could have some additional "low cost features" in my opinion. My '13 GTR had 12 different powertrain measurements, of which you could input into a 9 position screen on your dashboard....it was Star Teck all the way! Yeah, I loved it and that car....but I like the F type every bit as much or more.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
BMW obviously thinks anyone driving their "ultimate driving machine" would be competent enough to have checked and topped up the oil before it got critically low. Sadly, since most of them don't even know how to work the indicators, I think they're overestimating by quite some way ....
I think you are bring a bit harsh with the BMW drivers. The fact is that the turn signal indicators are not standard equipment on BMW cars and that is why you never or extremely rarely see a BMW driver indicating a lane change or signaling an intended turn. It is not their fault. You CAN get turn signals on a BMW but they are optional and very few owners specify them. Another major issue with those cars is "unintended acceleration"...at least, given the road/traffic conditions in which these incidents are observed, there can be no other reasonable explanation for the excessive speed unless the drivers are irresponsible. That couldn't be the reason could it?

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Carbuff2 (10-12-2021), scm (10-11-2021), tzoid9 (10-11-2021)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

I miss having a dipstick. They could have done both systems.....sort of sad really.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My "workaround" for Jag's misguided deletion of a simple, economical, reliable "dip-stick" is 5k mile oil/filter changes with Castrol 0W-40 EuroFormula (A3/B4) oil. Now, for the likewise stupid "winged out" door handles (unless the car is locked), I'd like to go back to stone age of "flush" door handles when car is unlocked (as in my garage). Can't fathom NOT hooking my pants on a crushingly unattractive open door handle. Any ideas on how to delete this "feature" for simple, un-complicated ingress/egress? (How these people got out of Design School alive is beyond me.)

Old 07-30-2022, 09:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

The electronic oil readout on my F Type has been wonky since I let the dealer do an oil & filter change. First, they overfilled it. I checked the car before leaving the dealership with the engine warm, about 20 minutes after being shut down and got the Overfilled warning. I told them to remove some oil and then drove home.

I was still getting the overfilled warning so I used my Mityvac to remove almost 3/4 of a quart. Then the readout only showed about half full. So I added 8 ounces, drove the car and checked it again. Still low. Added another 8 ounces and figured that should be good. Well, now when I check it warm, I get the Overfilled warning but about 2 seconds later I can see the level on the gauge drop 2 marks.

I'm guessing it is OK but something is still triggering the warning message. I tried resetting the service interval and have also tried toggling back and forth between Live and Average readings every other day.
I'm about ready to use the Mityvac for extract as much oil as possible from the engine and then see where it reads with the graduations that are on the Mityvac. And then pump no more than 6.75 quarts back in.
The specifications for the AWD call for 6.9 quarts with a filter change so that should be pretty close.

It sure would be easier with a damn dipstick !

Old 08-03-2022, 11:31 AM

After weighing F-Type "whizbang" gadgets, giving up on Jag. Out of the market for a Jag.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by trottier.ed
After weighing F-Type "whizbang" gadgets, giving up on Jag. Out of the market for a Jag.
Funny. We switched from a Lexus to an F-Type in part to have fewer "whizbang" gadgets.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Ooops, guess I'm a Geezer. Maybe just hang on to my 40th Ann. Edition SL500 Roadster! We are both "aging gracefully."