F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V8 search begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Type V8 search begins

I've always admired the f-type, and really wanted to see how the engine and everything holds up before jumping in. I figure I may be in the market soon for an f-type, and have been lurking on these forums for a while. Finally registered. Details and some questions for everyone are below.

1. Primarily looking for a 2016 R convertible w/ vision pkg. SVR just for the cosmetics is not worth it to me, as I heard the powertrain is all the same except for the tuning
2. Even more specifically, I am looking for Indago Blue or one of the lighter grey exterior colors
3. Any color interior except red and all-black (why are all the lower cost cars the ones with the red leather package? I just don't like red.)
4. Considering 2016 over a 2014/15 because of the 5y/60k warranty and service included, and possibly certified eligibility w/ extended warranrty to 6or7y/100k. If warranty/maintenance isn't a concern, then I would consider a 2014/15 RWD 'vert.

5. Maintenance seems to be okay on these from what I've read. Any particular things to pay attention to? and how difficult would regular maintenance be? (e.g. are there any "simple" tasks that require excessive labor to do, like 5hrs book time to change spark plugs?)
6. Where are these cars mostly listed? I primarily see dealer ads on autotrader, and they're mostly in the midwest or east, nothing on the west coast.
7. Any suggestions as to price? '16 Rs seem to hover around 55-60+ with 14/15's going down to sub-40k. That's a huge difference. Is that a correct assesment of the market?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Can't seem to find the edit button... But one more thing. Mileage considerations? Of course lower is better, but any maintenance items to be especially careful about if I look at say, a 60k mi car compared to a 30k mi car of approx. the same yr? worn bushings, pcv systems, sludged oil passages, engine issues w/ higher mileage cars, etc.?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

When I shopped around cargurus.com turned out to be the best site next to Autotrader. Between the two they caught most of the listings out there.

For a higher mileage '16, check the service history since the included maintenance is 1yr or 16k (whichever comes first).Hopefully there's an extra couple of oil changes in there. Also, if you find one with carbon ceramic brakes just know the replacement cost is going to run $10k+ when they finally do wear down, but you would've likely replaced pads and rotors on traditional brakes several times by then, too. There are other mechanical differences with the SVR beyond the tune but it sounds like you've already scratched them off the list.

Other notable issues seem to be a supercharger tick, stuck exhaust vales, stuck center air vents, window scratches and the infamous sh*tty stereo setup which is evidently more of a coupe thing. Fortunately they're all warranty or TSB items so they're covered under the 5yr warranty still.

Depending on where the car is located, you should also check underneath to see if there's any rust on the cross members. The corrosion part of the factory warranty supposedly only covers the painted surfaces but some people have been successful with getting them replaced. It really seems to come down to your dealer though so run a search on the forum because I've definitely seen some bay area members recommending the ones to avoid.

The experts will probably have more to add, but overall they don't seem to be any less reliable or problematic than most other cars these days.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Llama
For a higher mileage '16, check the service history since the included maintenance is 1yr or 16k (whichever comes first).
You mean a higher mileage '14 or '15? And those had first yr service included? nice. I presume only 1 or 2 oil changes necessary within that period though.

Originally Posted by Llama
...if you find one with carbon ceramic brakes just know the replacement cost is going to run $10k+ when they finally do wear down
Not going to track the car, so they should be be a problem. But I could care less about CC brakes. Are stock brakes 1-pc rotors? Might upgrade to 2-pc, but that's it.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by mikubus
You mean a higher mileage '14 or '15? And those had first yr service included? nice. I presume only 1 or 2 oil changes necessary within that period though.

Not going to track the car, so they should be be a problem. But I could care less about CC brakes. Are stock brakes 1-pc rotors? Might upgrade to 2-pc, but that's it.

Thanks!
Stock rotors are 1pc. A number of us converted to Wortec 2 piece. Much sexier looking and shaves 35-40 lbs off total unsprung weight. Forged wheels will do the same.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Ugh, Jag still has the horrible 5x108 bolt pattern...

Old 05-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just thinking about the hypothetical higher mileage '16 should you manage to find one. There probably aren't too many out there that meet this criteria yet, though.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

You mean a higher mileage '14 or '15? And those had first yr service included? nice.
The '16 has 5 years service included.

Ugh, Jag still has the horrible 5x108 bolt pattern...
Not so bad anymore. Many more aftermarket wheel options available now as compared with just 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Try the forum members marketplace. There are a couple of cars on there that may be of interest. I also find that cargurus is pretty good. Easier to navigate than autotrader, although autrotrader allows selection of interior colors if I recall

Last edited by jaguny; 05-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.