Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which F-Type v8 should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which F-Type v8 should I buy?

Hello every one,

Im currently looking for a list of difference between f type v8 551hp from 2015 to 2020
I know for exemple that they change something on the exhaust at a certain year
Do you guy know which one is the best to buy? or a website where i can find those differences ?

Thank you

Last edited by GGG; 05-09-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

First, tell us what "best" means to you.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 AM

You are right, by best I meant 2 principal things :

- the reliability, is there any reliability difference between the different year? is any prob has been spotted (mechanical or maybe just a secondary prob like the camera/screen prob) ?
- the sound : indeed I try a 2021 f type and I loved it. but my friend told me that it was much less noisy than the older one which make me think that the original sound must be insane

Any idea ?

Old 05-08-2022, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

There's a sticky thread for known issues, but in general these have proven to be reliable. The infotainment by all reports got better with larger screen and soft buttons. I've got the older so can't say from personal experience. There are some niceties that came later, such as cooled seats. For looks, you'll need to judge for yourself if the "facelift" is a step up or down.

I quick check shows all non-SVR V8s have the same muffler. There are at least two aftermarket mufflers, one in two different styles depending on how much louder you're wanting to go. I was standing right behind one of the louder ones when he fired it up and I just about jumped out of my skin. There were differences in pops on overrun that were related to software updates. Aftermarket tuning can accentuate that, should that be what you're after.

The following users liked this post:
partyst4rter (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

As a point of reference, my 2014 V8S vert (which has the same drive train as an R, just different tuning) has 50k miles and has been dead reliable. During the warranty, the dealer fixed a couple of nits. Since then the only thing that I've had to do is replace the battery - and that was just last month.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Don't forget 2015 was RWD and a very different driving experience from 2016 onwards AWD. Prob the biggest difference across the years.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Agree with Britcars. Also if tech is a thing for you, there have been a few changes over the years between the first style (black and white), then the "four tiles" (the first of which I understand was the previous version with a different face which mimics the incontrol face), then the incontrol with hard buttons at the side from around 2016MY, then incontrol with no hard buttons at the side (which has a wider screen and looks fancier). The sound if it has meridian speakers is pretty good when cranked up, not so good when it is soft. I wasnt a fan of the black and white set up when I had it in an XF as I found it a bit fussy, but it might be different in the F Type. The '16 incontrol (with hard buttons) with meridian speakers is fine for what I want, it does everything I need and I dont use the later incontrol touch pro duo from my wife's car and then think I am missing out, which is a good sign.

There was also a change to the graphics between the dials in about 2016, and also EPAS about that year.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:09 PM

Thank you very much, that s some usefull tips, and great feedback for the reliability.
I wasn t aware about the different mufflers, neither the 2015 RWD,
I won t go for the 2015 model then as i m not enough good at driving powerfull rear wheel car ( i m certain that you need some skill to drive this kind of car)

Old 05-08-2022, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Also if tech is a thing for you, there have been a few changes over the years between the first style (black and white), then the "four tiles"
Thank you very much that some usefull info. I m totally into tech , I think it matter aswell. also I didn t understand the what do you call black and white / four tiles ?

Old 05-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Oh they are the screens.
this one has the 2015 - black and white https://www.autoevolution.com/review...view-2015.html

this one (video from an XF) has the incontrol with hard buttons (what I call the 4 tiles) -

then this one has the incontrol but with soft buttons at the bottom and a wider screen - https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...ch-pro-review/

partyst4rter (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 01:56 AM

ah thank you for the precision I agree the widerscreen with no hard button is fancier. also someone is selling is f type with meridian sound system and no hardbutton : I keep an eye on it

Old 05-12-2022, 06:31 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by partyst4rter
Thank you very much, that s some usefull tips, and great feedback for the reliability.
I wasn t aware about the different mufflers, neither the 2015 RWD,
I won t go for the 2015 model then as i m not enough good at driving powerfull rear wheel car ( i m certain that you need some skill to drive this kind of car)
Don’t rule out a 2015 because of RWD if you find one that ticks all the other boxes for you. A new set of Michelin PS4S will make a huge difference in handling vs. the stock Pirellis. On the Pirellis, things can definitely get a bit hairy.

The AWD cars handle better and are are better-suited to being a daily driver in all types of weather; however, the RWD R is the quickest F-Type from a rolling start, even quicker than the SVR. It just depends on what you want and how new you want your car (and its related tech) to be.

The following 2 users liked this post by RIRR:
Burt Gummer (05-12-2022), partyst4rter (05-13-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Love, Love, Love my pampered 2015 R. Just over time getting bummed here in Portland/Milwaukie that the road conditions and weather has kept her in the garage so much.

The following 3 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
Jaguar1611 (05-13-2022), ViperX100 (05-25-2022), YRS (05-28-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by RIRR
Don’t rule out a 2015 because of RWD if you find one that ticks all the other boxes for you. A new set of Michelin PS4S will make a huge difference in handling vs. the stock Pirellis. On the Pirellis, things can definitely get a bit hairy.

The AWD cars handle better and are are better-suited to being a daily driver in all types of weather; however, the RWD R is the quickest F-Type from a rolling start, even quicker than the SVR. It just depends on what you want and how new you want your car (and its related tech) to be.
Ah , really interesting things. aving the fastest F type on rollingstart is sure really interesting and something that I would like.
Have you guys try both AWD RWD ? is there a huge feeling difference between both in therm of acceleration ?
Also I m living in switzerland montain , which can be tricky sometimes so maybe even the Michelin PS4S won t be enough

@Burt Gummer Wow , that s a nice car, I didn t see much red f type but i have to admit : it suit it very well

Old 05-13-2022, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Ahhh they all look good but red is very special. Mine is italian racing red (in the new cars called firenze) and I have never regretted buying it, in fact my wife's car is the same colour. Apropos AWD vs RWD, the AWD does feel quite a bit heavier although apparently (according to reviews) the SVR felt lighter than the standard AWD, I'm not sure whether that has carried through to the new shape R. 450HP to the rear wheels on michelins is very, very controllable, though I am getting a lot of rear wheel slip with about 15,000km on the tyres (305's on the rears), but no dramas up front (265's).

partyst4rter (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by partyst4rter
Ah , really interesting things. aving the fastest F type on rollingstart is sure really interesting and something that I would like.
Have you guys try both AWD RWD ? is there a huge feeling difference between both in therm of acceleration ?
Also I m living in switzerland montain , which can be tricky sometimes so maybe even the Michelin PS4S won t be enough

@Burt Gummer Wow , that s a nice car, I didn t see much red f type but i have to admit : it suit it very well
I haven’t driven an AWD, but I don’t think you would feel any difference in acceleration between it and the RWD. Most published 0-60 mph times have the AWD one- or two-tenths of a second quicker, which is not enough for most people to tell a difference. You would notice that the AWD hooks up better when accelerating hard from a stop.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Ahhh they all look good but red is very special. Mine is italian racing red (in the new cars called firenze) and I have never regretted buying it, in fact my wife's car is the same colour. Apropos AWD vs RWD, the AWD does feel quite a bit heavier although apparently (according to reviews) the SVR felt lighter than the standard AWD, I'm not sure whether that has carried through to the new shape R. 450HP to the rear wheels on michelins is very, very controllable, though I am getting a lot of rear wheel slip with about 15,000km on the tyres (305's on the rears), but no dramas up front (265's).
Good point about the weight of the AWD. When I said it handles better than the RWD, I should have clarified that the AWD has better traction and will put down a better lap time. In round numbers, the AWD R is about 220 pounds heavier than the RWD R, and that extra weight is concentrated in the front of the car. Same situation for the SVR, but it is only about 170 pounds heavier than the RWD R.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Swiss mountains? Get an SVR-lighter, more nimble driving and feel.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:27 PM

I am also curious about which model year may be best. I've driven the 2015 and 2017. One of the best sounding vehicles I've driven for sure! I did hear that some years are prone to rusting underneath parts of the vehicle. Here's a good video discussing concerns. The comment section is also worth a read:

Old 05-25-2022, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ayurvedicman
I am also curious about which model year may be best. I've driven the 2015 and 2017. One of the best sounding vehicles I've driven for sure! I did hear that some years are prone to rusting underneath parts of the vehicle. Here's a good video discussing concerns. The comment section is also worth a read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Ew5fRZpbM
here's another video:

Quick Reply: Which F-Type v8 should I buy?