F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type V8S and 100-cell Catalytic Converters - what would happen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I think your assessment to revert back to stock is correct.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibby
Hi Guys,

I have put 200cell race cats on my Jaguar F Type V8s, my experience is that the car can breathe slightly better and does offer performance improvement although a few bhp, however I notice the engine sound is not as nice as stock for regular driving and can sound a little ricer at low to med revs, when idle and blipping the revs it sounds great also when fully opening her up. You should also note there are 6 lambda sensors and from what I hear most installs have the amber come on after some time. I'm considering reverting back as I'm not getting the note I desired also if your active exhaust is off expect drone at 3K revs only. The pops do sound louder here is a vid! .
Welcome to the forum Ibby. That's one hell of an introduction. When you get a moment stop by our new members area : New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The exhaust tone in that clip sounds pretty outrageous, and the popping is something else again. I would have thought it a good thing?

I have some questions for you...

What sort of note were you hoping for? I know when I changed to 100 cell cats on my XJR the exhaust became 1. louder & 2. more metallic/raspy sounding. Which I was OK with TBH.

Are you thinking of changing back because of the drone? Maybe it could be addressed with some other exhaust changes, maybe an x-pipe or hotdogs? I don't know exactly but i'm sure it could be resolved.

Did you fit any extensions or minicats to the downstream O2 sensors?

Thanks & again, welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Oracle (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Please see my reply below : )

Originally Posted by Cambo
What sort of note were you hoping for? I know when I changed to 100 cell cats on my XJR the exhaust became 1. louder & 2. more metallic/raspy sounding. Which I was OK with TBH.
Wanted more of the V8 sound with touch more depth, the V8 sound is not possible because the engines are short strokes from what I've been told.

Are you thinking of changing back because of the drone? Maybe it could be addressed with some other exhaust changes, maybe an x-pipe or hotdogs? I don't know exactly but i'm sure it could be resolved.
The car sounded nice stock with the active exhaust off, its nice now also but can sometimes sound abit OTT during normal driving.. I could live with the sound to be honest but had the orange come up. So that's the decider for me.. I think a 300 cat might actually be the perfect balance!

Did you fit any extensions or minicats to the downstream O2 sensors?
MiniCats

Thanks & again, welcome to the forum
Thank you also! Is there anyway I can change my user name btw?.

Last edited by Cambo; 09-19-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Cambo (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Ibby

Wanted more of the V8 sound with touch more depth, the V8 sound is not possible because the engines are short strokes from what I've been told.
The AJ133 is pretty close to square, 92.5mm x 93mm bore & stroke, not what i'd consider a short stroke. The firing order however does have a lot to do with the tone of the engine.

The car sounded nice stock with the active exhaust off, its nice now also but can sometimes sound abit OTT during normal driving..
Ha that's funny, to my ears the F-Types already sound OTT straight out of the factory.

I could live with the sound to be honest but had the orange come up. So that's the decider for me..
You mean you got a check engine light?

MiniCats
And following up from you put the Minicats on to get rid of the light / fault codes?

Minicats create as many problems as they solve. The downstream O2 sensors are also used to manage fuelling, minicats slow the response down and also cause the sensors to read false (which solves the fault code problem) BUT this false measurement messes with the fuelling and can also cause a momentary lean condition when you plant your foot.

Some more info in this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1210265 that thread is dealling with older model Jags but the same applies to the new cars, even more so with 3x O2 sensors per engine bank.

You mentioned in your intro post that you had the car tuned by an ex-JLR/Volvo R&D guy, he couldn't disable the Catalyst Efficiency Monitoring in the ECU or change the emissions settings to Euro2? That elimnates the fault codes if you run high-flow cats (or even no cats LOL) and you don't have the fuelling issues from the sensors reading falsely because of Minicats.

Some late model Jags and Range Rovers have actually lost power because of fitting Minicats.

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to know what the power figures of your car are after this tune was done. I definitely would like to know more about what he did and how (we also have an ex-JLR guy working on tunes and other tweaks).

Thank you also! Is there anyway I can change my user name btw?.
Yes but I can't do it for you, only JimC64 the forum Admin can change usernames, send him a private message i'm sure he'll help you out.

Cheers.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Please see the below

The AJ133 is pretty close to square, 92.5mm x 93mm bore & stroke, not what i'd consider a short stroke. The firing order however does have a lot to do with the tone of the engine.
Good to hear, is this aka a crate engine?

You mentioned in your intro post that you had the car tuned***, he couldn't disable the Catalyst Efficiency Monitoring in the ECU or change the emissions settings to Euro2?
I didnt have the cats at the point when creating the map also I want to keep the baseline settings of my car in line with Jaguar i.e. not disabling systems inplace. Will look into 300 cell race cats as mentioned earlier, I believe these will indeed be compatible with the car and provide the optimum race sound without downfalls of the 200 cell cats that I have had on my car.

Some late model Jags and Range Rovers have actually lost power because of fitting Minicats.
Noted & Thank you

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to know what the power figures of your car are after this tune was done. I definitely would like to know more about what he did and how (we also have an ex-JLR guy working on tunes and other tweaks).
I wont be able to get details of the map unfortunately. Pertaining my high speed runs I can say the F-Type does not respond to heat well, I noticed on a few runs that anything over 27deg reduces the cars abillity to climb efficiently after 170mph. FYI on my maxspeed run it was a dry morning with the sun rising and the outdoor temp was apprx 17deg.

Yes but I can't do it for you, only JimC64 the forum Admin can change usernames, send him a private message i'm sure he'll help you out.
Thanks again Cambo!

Last edited by Oracle; 09-20-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: fixed quotes
Cambo (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Holy moly that car sounds amazing! Well played sir, well played indeed.

Side note,
The Factory F-type cats came in, I have them sitting in the lab now for measurements to build the assembly fixture.

I'm wrapping up the 4.2 Fixture and cut extra material to build this fixture as well. I'll be able to build sets shortly. Then we can play around with 100 / 200 / 300 cell variations and see what we can create.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Holy moly that car sounds amazing! Well played sir, well played indeed.

Side note,
The Factory F-type cats came in, I have them sitting in the lab now for measurements to build the assembly fixture.

I'm wrapping up the 4.2 Fixture and cut extra material to build this fixture as well. I'll be able to build sets shortly. Then we can play around with 100 / 200 / 300 cell variations and see what we can create.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Awesome! Hopefully with some videos too

FrickenJag (09-21-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Finishing up the fixture for the XKR, I have the F-type cats on hand and I'm having some plate cut to setup that fixture. Should have a finalized set for the XKR in a week or so.

The first F-type setup I'll be wrapping up will fit:
K16260 to K22184 models. These will be Calico coating ceramic chrome coated as well. I'll have some pics coming soon.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 AM

Finishing up the fixture for the XKR, I have the F-type cats on hand and I'm having some plate cut to setup that fixture. Should have a finalized set for the XKR in a week or so.

The first F-type setup I'll be wrapping up will fit:
K16260 to K22184 models. These will be Calico coating ceramic chrome coated as well. I'll have some pics coming soon.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
Any potential for the v6 S? Btw, I really appre ciate what you're doing for the jag community!

FrickenJag (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
Hi Guys,

I have put 200cell race cats on my Jaguar F Type V8s, my experience is that the car can breathe slightly better and does offer performance improvement although a few bhp, however I notice the engine sound is not as nice as stock for regular driving and can sound a little ricer at low to med revs, when idle and blipping the revs it sounds great also when fully opening her up. You should also note there are 6 lambda sensors and from what I hear most installs have the amber come on after some time. I'm considering reverting back as I'm not getting the note I desired also if your active exhaust is off expect drone at 3K revs only. The pops do sound louder here is a vid! Jaguar F Type V8 revs up (Growl! Pop!) - YouTube.

Who made your CATs, just a local exhaust guy or a vendor?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FrozenMango
Any potential for the v6 S? Btw, I really appre ciate what you're doing for the jag community!
Mango,
Yes this set I'm building will fit up for the V6S as well.

No problem. I figured I have the ability to engineer/design/build the products. So why not, I truly love prototyping and seeing the potential these cars have.

Last edited by FrickenJag; 09-22-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat Converters vs Emissions Sensor.

Mango,
Yes this set I'm building will fit up for the V6S as well.
I fear some arrangement is required for the down stream sensors, if using straight pipes or even high flow cats that results in more pollutants in the outgoing air. i wounder if there is a mechanical arrangement - e.g. space - to trick this sensor to give the thumbs up or maybe wind up the ECU parameters alarm threshold??

I have the F-Type V6, tuned it to stage one, impressive 25% more peak power, I asked my guy about getting rid of the Cats or replacing them with high flow, he was worried about the gases sensor since he hasn't done that on Jags.

FrickenJag (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by zoozth
I fear some arrangement is required for the down stream sensors, if using straight pipes or even high flow cats that results in more pollutants in the outgoing air. i wounder if there is a mechanical arrangement - e.g. space - to trick this sensor to give the thumbs up or maybe wind up the ECU parameters alarm threshold??

I have the F-Type V6, tuned it to stage one, impressive 25% more peak power, I asked my guy about getting rid of the Cats or replacing them with high flow, he was worried about the gases sensor since he hasn't done that on Jags.
Who provided the tune, your local shop?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by FrozenMango
Who provided the tune, your local shop?
Evolvetech. Did stage one.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes Zoozth. When using a straight pipe "cat delete" you would want to use a mini cat O2 spacer for the downstream O2. Pertaining to the highflow 200 cell cats options, the higher durability cats are key. The better the quality of the cat, the less Nitrogen. The other key to preventing the CEL light is to make sure you mount the 02's in the same position as factory.

Regards
Derek Fricke

Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Or get VW to tweak the firmware for you...

FrickenJag (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 PM

first post
Welcome to the forum zoozth, nice to have another Aussie here.

When you get a moment stop by our new members area and introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Yes if you fit high-flow cats then yes you need to do something, otherwise you will get Catalyst Efficiency codes and a check engine light.

There are several ways to do this, some methods are better than others.

When using a straight pipe "cat delete" you would want to use a mini cat O2 spacer for the downstream O2.
Although minicats will stop the codes being set, they create other problems because the ECU uses the downstream sensors for fuelling control in addition to monitoring the performance of the cats.

If you fool the downstream O2 sensors your fuelling will be affected, and as mentioned earlier some late model Jags & Range Rovers have actually lost power & economy using minicats. Removing the minicats and changing the emissions to Euro 2 has seen power gains, as well as improvements to fuel economy.

The other key to preventing the CEL light is to make sure you mount the 02's in the same position as factory.
No, that won't make any difference.

The best way to sort this problem is to disable the catalyst related codes, set the thresholds for the codes to zero, or change the vehicle emissions settings to Euro 2 as the cats are not monitored in Euro 2 vehicles and the downstream sensors are only used for fuel trims.

Have done this with several vehicles now, including my own.

FrickenJag (09-28-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 AM

Welcome to the forum zoozth, nice to have another Aussie here.

The best way to sort this problem is to disable the catalyst related codes, set the thresholds for the codes to zero, or change the vehicle emissions settings to Euro 2 as the cats are not monitored in Euro 2 vehicles and the downstream sensors are only used for fuel trims.

Have done this with several vehicles now, including my own.
Thanks mate, i talked to my guy today. He agrees with you. Only issue with f type. The Cats and pipes are physically one piece. So either cut and weld which means not easy going back or build a while thing from the flange to the muffler which is expensive 😕

Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM

The downpipes aren't all that special, the only real complication is the flanges that will need to be fabricated.

F-Type V8S and 100-cell Catalytic Converters - what would happen?-cf11899.png

They won't be an off-the-shelf flange, but not overly difficult to make either.

Shouldn't be that expensive to do...

Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM

The downpipes aren't all that special, the only real complication is the flanges that will need to be fabricated.

They won't be an off-the-shelf flange, but not overly difficult to make either.

Shouldn't be that expensive to do...
Any chance you have a schematic showing scale and sizes of all the parts?

Quick Reply: F-Type V8S and 100-cell Catalytic Converters - what would happen?