F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type versus Maserati Gran Turismo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type versus Maserati Gran Turismo

I have a 2014 F type V8S, but have been looking at >2018 Gran Turismo lately for a possible change. Wondering how this group sees these cars stacking up? I have a Maserati Quattroporte as my daily driver which is a great blend of performance and luxury. The Jag complements the QP nicely when i want the experience to be a bit more raucous. I asked the same question on the Maserati forum and am keen to see the difference in perspectives!

Old 02-28-2022, 09:13 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Lots of opinions on both I’m sure. I was maybe 70% ready to pull the trigger on an MC Stradale before buying my F type. I also spent time on the Maserati forums and was amazed at the lack of tech on the car. People complain about Jaguar but I was looking at a 2015 and there was a list of compatible devices and they were like 8 year old iPods and older iPhone models. I wasn’t buying for the tech, but would have expected a little more than Flinstone devices to work. Maybe the newer ones are better, but once I never looked again after buying my f type. My experience and searches also seem to indicate that the f type is far more reliable and I don’t like extra seats. The Maserati is still a fantastic looking and sounding car, but even when I see my neighbors, I have no regrets. I have other cars for in-climate weather and for various types of driving, and I don’t drive anything daily since I work from home so I can’t speak to either as a daily driver but every time I push the button, the jag starts and runs perfectly and there is something to be said for dependability, Also something to be said for change and maybe something new and different would be fun. I know I always get some new energy when buying a new car.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I remember floating around the idea of potentially grabbing one just for that lovely engine and sound the GT makes. That said, compared to the F-type, it was more on the luxury side of things than performance in my opinion. Gearbox response was a bit lacking compared to the F-type, and it felt bigger and heavier because... well it was bigger and heavier. That said, I feel like they are really different cars. I wouldn't give up my F-type for a GT, but that's just because the GT isn't what I'm looking for. Considering you already have a quattroporte, I feel like it'd be better to just keep the F-type. You'd get a broader spectrum of cars that way.

The following users liked this post:
cathengr (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove both when I was looking to buy. Sounds good but I found the build quality to be poor lack of tech and I started looking at repair cost and the cost of the parts are extremely high. Bought the F-Type no regrets.

cathengr (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:40 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Because I was trying to get a car with some sort of back seat, I looked heavily into the GT before I purchased the F-Type. In every possible way, the GT was inferior. From the motor, technology, reliability, design, support and maintenance cost. There were not many favorable reviews at the time and while the cost of a used one was significantly cheaper, the depreciation rate of the GT was the worst in the industry at the time. Maserati is also rated dead last in reliability of luxury car brands (at the time). Unfortunately, the user experiences I read about agreed with all of these sentiments. For me, it is a hard NO WAY!.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:45 AM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a chance to drive to drive both when I was shopping. I have always admired the Maserati from a styling perspective, and have watched innumerable reviews on both cars. Frankly, if you need the room, the Maserati is probably the right choice. Otherwise, not sure it is. While the GT's engine note was beautiful and suggestive of high performance, the car's dynamics were strongly in the cruiser camp. More a car to be seen in than simply driven for enjoyment on a great road. Not diminishing the GT's positive attributes; style, sound, comfort, room, beautiful leather, but just scratched it off the list after about 10 minutes into my drive. Oh, and while the car's telematics were abysmal, the used model I drive had been upgraded with a pretty commonly adopted aftermarket kit that brought the car well forward.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Most likely...When you post about preferences/thoughts related to Maserati on a Jaguar F-Type forum, you are going to find people that prefer Jaguar/F-Types. I would imagine the same post you did on the Maserati forum is going to have a bent towards Maserati.

DC

jcb-memphis (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I was set on buying one of the MC Stradales. I loved the looks, the sound, but the car just didn't deliver in terms of performance. The back seats were amazing, which almost swayed me that way as the car could serve another role. The interior was a little cheap and as has already been said, it made the Jag's infotainment system seem advanced. No proximity key (not a deal breaker), no backup camera. It just fell short.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:17 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

On the other hand. JayEmm on Youtube has just done a review on the car in question and he totally feel heads over heels for it. A matter of taste and perspective, and he gets the benefit of the national speed limit on B roads...but worth a look.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Let me know if I can be of possible objective assistance. I have an F Type R and my neighbor has a Maserati GT. It is funny because both cars sound similar when they fire up and I know every time my neighbor is going anywhere since I can hear the car start. I think the car is beautiful sounding and to took at. The interior is decent as well but doesn't have the performance level of the R or SVR F Type. But let me know if you have any questions or want pics side by side. He is a friend of mine so we BS all the time.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the analysis and perspective. The Maserati forum was pretty non-biased with the conclusion that they are different type of cars (true), and with the edge going to the Jag by the people who knew what they were talking about.
I’m keeping the Jag and will keep enjoying the quattroporte and the Jag for the varied driving experiences they offer.
Cheers!

Old 03-01-2022, 11:06 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i drove both when i bought my '18 F Type R. i actually loved the GT, i thought it was much more comfortable and almost as beautiful. the local maserati dealer was discounting them in a big way too. ultimately though i was just too scared of the ferrari based engine and the cost of maintaining it.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I have always loved the sound of Maserati V8's... They have a real "Throaty" sound to them that just makes me smile every time I hear them...!
Before I bought my F-Type ( and mine is only a Base V6.0 Convertible Version ) I was looking at 2nd hand Grand Cabrio's and Grand Tourismo's...
Both absolutely beautiful cars and I find I can't help wondering if the Jaguar F-Type drew some of the design from the Grand Cabrio or perhaps vice versa...!
When I saw my 2014 F-Type back in 2019 at Dutton Garage here in Melbourne with 7400 kms and absolutely pristine condition, I knew right then and there
that this was the car for me...! I am glad that I did...! But having heard a V8 F-Type Coupe while at an intersection waiting for the lights to turn green, I think
Jaguar may have trumped it with the Roar that the V8 car made... At the end of the day, I would be completely happy with either of them...!
They are both magnificent to look at, sound great, and drive like sports cars should...!
Now... Has anyone seen the New Maserati Alfieri...? Wow...

Old 03-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Rob7d7,
About 8 years ago when Maserati debuted the Alfieri at the Los Angeles Car Show, I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I had ever seen and I posted about it several times on the forum. Maserati representatives at the show were quoting deliveries by the summer of the following year. 8 years later and still not Alfieri. Now they're talking about an all electric Alfieri, although I doubt it will ever be produced. Plus, as for Maserati reliability, I personally know 4 people who have had there Maseratis bought back by the factory through Lemon Laws in California. My XKR will hit 200,000 miles this month, I would question whether there is any model of a modern Maserati that has ever traveled close to that number. Compared to Jaguar reliability wise, there is no comparison.

Ichi Ban (03-14-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi tberg,
I guess that is a common theme nowadays... Reliability is an illusive goal that few manufacturers seem to be able to achieve across different model platforms...
Mercedes comes to mind, as does Toyota, and Lexus... But it seems to be a difficult task to design new vehicle platforms without introducing new issues...
I think the companies that seem to do better in this regard are the ones that spend more time refining their designs rather than re-designing...
Re-using tried, tested, proven in the field, engine and chassis components... I think this is why Porsche seems to always have an edge...
Got to stop here... This is a Topic that can spiral out of control...

P.S. Love your car...! You have had your fair share of some very nice vehicles...! I used to love the look of the de Tomaso Pantera...!
I think we have the same taste in cars, because I like every one of the ones you have owned...!

tberg (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 04:06 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cathengr
I have a 2014 F type V8S, but have been looking at >2018 Gran Turismo lately for a possible change. Wondering how this group sees these cars stacking up? I have a Maserati Quattroporte as my daily driver which is a great blend of performance and luxury. The Jag complements the QP nicely when i want the experience to be a bit more raucous. I asked the same question on the Maserati forum and am keen to see the difference in perspectives!
IMO, coming at you it looks great. The rear and the side view is an abortion. Also not enough grunt.