F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type vs C8

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F type vs C8

I currently own a 2015 F Type V8S convertible (bought 1.5 years ago). I've been on the C8 waitlist for 2 years and it's finally coming up...They're anticipating I should get it delivered in the next 3 months. I have a Ram 1500 as my daily and F type as my weekend fun car. I really really like the F type and it's muscle-car like character. Now that it's getting closer to delivery, I'm almost wanting to just flip the C8 and keep the F Type... I think part of it is that I spent 6 months looking at F types online before I found this 1 owner F Type in excellent condition and it's been nothing but great. I'll probably keep both for a month or so and part with whichever one I decide to. I'm assuming people have cross shopped the F type V8 and C8... Has anyone driven both for a period of time and can comment on which one they liked more?

Old 07-21-2022, 04:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Unfortunately, you should just be catching the market going down for the C8, so there will likely be a cost to "flipping it".

Old 07-21-2022, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Or you could start a blog entitled “The Beauty (the F-Type) and the Beast (the other one).”

The following users liked this post:
Ftypedoc (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:56 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I've been spending a lot of time recently on the Bring a Trailer ("BaT") car auction site and there are definite signs that the economy is softening, as stuff's not bidding as high as it was even a few months ago. I recommend camping over there for a while and watching. A number of people try flipping almost new cars and many attempts fail due to unrealistic expectations of reality, as evidenced by many auctions failing to meet reserve prices. Just yesterday I watched a dozen auctions, and 11(!) of them failed to meet reserve. It's due to sellers either not understanding the effects of the economy, or mistakenly thinking that since they just have to make a profit, everyone will buy into that thinking. Not any more.

Last edited by kb58; 07-21-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:50 PM

The market has definitely softened. I locked in my price with the dealer before a ~$4k price increase so that helps. The MSRP is $82k on my build and right now I'd realistically be able to sell it easily for $100k. With taxes I'd pay on the new car, that's not a huge profit but it is what it is. That profit margin will likely keep dwindling. I'm also big into finance so I really don't want to have just spent $82k on a toy when I could've spent it in the market (when the market bottoms out soon). The opportunity cost will be pretty big coming up I think

Old 07-21-2022, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Unfortunately, you should just be catching the market going down for the C8, so there will likely be a cost to "flipping it".
The market has definitely softened. I locked in my price with the dealer before a ~$4k price increase so that helps. The MSRP is $82k on my build and right now I'd realistically be able to sell it easily for $100k. With taxes I'd pay on the new car, that's not a huge profit but it is what it is. That profit margin will likely keep dwindling. I'm also big into finance so I really don't want to have just spent $82k on a toy when I could've spent it in the market (when the market bottoms out soon). The opportunity cost will be pretty big coming up I think

Old 07-21-2022, 06:39 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I drove both for a period of time. Friend had one of the first 100 C8s when they came out.

All in all, I like the C8, but its not for me. Oddly enough, I was not a fan of how it handled as a mid-engine car. I dont have another mid-engine to compare to, but apparently they dont sit well with me.

The awesome parts about it were hard top convert, rev the engine when you hold both **** paddles, and the cockpit was WAY more driver-tuned than the F Type.

Different car all around. Ill still take my F Type especially now that the Z06 is coming out. Vettes are a dime a dozen, I like my F Type rarity (15 R Coupe)

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (07-21-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I sold my 2017 F-Type coup to purchase a C* convertible. Got on the list and waited ~ 6months. During that time I drove a C8 and was not too impressed. I liked the convertible top concept, but began noticing C8s all around event my little town. Finally cancelled my order and found a nice 2020 F-Type convertible. I think a better handling car, and I don't see one on every corner.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I sold my 2017 F-Type coup to purchase a C* convertible. Got on the list and waited ~ 6months. During that time I drove a C8 and was not too impressed. I liked the convertible top concept, but began noticing C8s all around event my little town. Finally cancelled my order and found a nice 2020 F-Type convertible. I think a better handling car, and I don't see one on every corner.
There are about as many F types in my city as there are C8s. I am the only one I know of with the V8 F type though. I've only seen a handful of the C8s around... I live in a pretty small city though of ~80k people

Old 07-22-2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
I drove both for a period of time. Friend had one of the first 100 C8s when they came out.

All in all, I like the C8, but its not for me. Oddly enough, I was not a fan of how it handled as a mid-engine car. I dont have another mid-engine to compare to, but apparently they dont sit well with me.

The awesome parts about it were hard top convert, rev the engine when you hold both **** paddles, and the cockpit was WAY more driver-tuned than the F Type.

Different car all around. Ill still take my F Type especially now that the Z06 is coming out. Vettes are a dime a dozen, I like my F Type rarity (15 R Coupe)
Yeah I've never driven a mid engine car so I'm curious to see how it handles. I don't have a ton of experience with sports cars in general since I grew up in the Midwest where everyone drives trucks/SUVs and not many people had summer only cars.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 PM

Yeah I wasnt a fan. Lots of understeer compared to what I am used to. Hard to explain with no research or prior history of driving mid-engine, but you can really feel the weight being behind you as opposed to in front of you when going around turns. Still gripped well, but that feeling of losing grip that Im sure you can imagine is COMPLETELY different when mid-engine. Almost to the point that I didnt like it since I just couldnt get it in my head when its at its limit. Drove it for a month, and stomped on it all through the Angeles Crest mountains (LOTS of high end supercars do this every weekend) and it was fun for sure, but scary how fast you could take a turn in the C8. Again, cool and faster than F Type, but I just didnt like it compared to a rear-engine Porsche or front-engine whatever.

And nowadays I see the C8 EVERYWHERE. Still super rare to see an F Type, even more rare for a RWD R or V8S.

If you want fast and rare, get a GenV Viper so I can live vicariously through you!

Just my $0.02

Old 07-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

There are a few F-Types in town, and a few C8s, although the number of the latter is increasing. The C8 is nowhere near as good looking at the F-Type, and to my eye goes from acceptable to ugly, depending on the color. I've yet to drive one. I'd like to, but unless a friend buys one it's unlikely. I'm not sure if they're offering test drives, and even if so it wouldn't be enough to get a real feel for it. I doubt I'd really find anything out other than seating comfort and visibility.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
There are a few F-Types in town, and a few C8s, although the number of the latter is increasing. The C8 is nowhere near as good looking at the F-Type, and to my eye goes from acceptable to ugly, depending on the color. I've yet to drive one. I'd like to, but unless a friend buys one it's unlikely. I'm not sure if they're offering test drives, and even if so it wouldn't be enough to get a real feel for it. I doubt I'd really find anything out other than seating comfort and visibility.
At 6'9", it wasnt uncomfortable, but certainless less than the F Type. Visibility is similar to F Type, rear view mirror isnt a mirror at all, its a screen which projects what a camera sees... I didnt like it.

Went to the Z06 showing and tested my fit in there... whanged my head pretty bad on the B pillar. Its shorter than the non-Z06 in the cabin, the tech pulled diagrams for me cuz he was curious... He said the target market for the Z06 are sports stars lol, so apparently not Basketball

Old 07-22-2022, 01:06 PM

Basketball players aren't sports stars... huh.

X vs. Y threads are almost always pointless because what's being compared is totally up to the person doing the comparison, never mind being highly subjective. For me, the early F-Type looks win out so much so over just about anything else that I feel no need to compare. If someone wants a fast lap time, good for them. See? Totally subjective as for what's best.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:00 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts
Default F type over C8

Sat in a convertible C8 and was not impressed, from exterior I don't care for the departure from the traditional hatchback style that I had with my ''81, 2015 and current 2018. That said I can compare FWIW, the MY2017 F coupe with our 2018 Corvette Coupe. Big plus for me is that the F is manual, as is the Corvette, but you can't get a manual Corvette anymore.
On the plus side for F... electric assist on steering. Makes tight spots so much easier. (also got electric assist on 2022 Silverado, MUCH improvement in steering over 2012 Silverado). F has heated steering wheel and heated seats, Corvette has heated and cooled seats. With the Climate Control system in the F, you don't even notice the heat outside, the synthetic suede seat inserts in the F are not as 'sticky' as the full leathers on the Corvette. F has rear camera and only Park assist in front, Corvette has front and rear camera. If you are an Audiophile, you may not care for or be impressed with the sound system in the F ( I have the 770 surround). The Corvette has a Bose system. I am a Jaguar afficionada, but had never seen an F on the road, much less any advertising for them, before I happened on the one i have. Corvettes are all over, which isn't a bad thing as the dealer network is wider if you have an issue. If you are looking at this as an investment to flip, I would say not. What is it they say? 30% depreciation once it goes off the dealer's floor? With the economy the way it is, I would leave the money in my portfolio.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I would love to drive a C8. I have owned 7 vettes in the past. I really loved the initial look of the C8 but I have seen so many already and they still aren't really readily available. I can't imagine how many will be on the road once inventory is there. I know the vette will destroy the F Type in 0-60 and it looks exotic but I still rarely see a Jaguar F Type in my area. I will say to me the new vette will be another Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Great cars for a decent price which is why they are all over the road.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Way back in .2018 I thought about the Corvette.

My Texas daughter upon hearing that referred to it as “every 20 year old hillBilly’s dream”.

Great car for the dollar. They are kind of without soul.

I am biased. I have owned a British car since 1972. Taught my kids to drive in one.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F type vs C8

My wife and I were born and raised in SoCal, but we have been in the Boise area of Idaho since 2008. There's a sprinkle of Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc., but it's generally a very domestic-oriented performance crowd here -- Chargers, Challengers, Camaros, and C5-C7 Vettes until now. In 2022? An absolute sea of C8's.
Don't get me wrong. I've always loved Corvettes as did my late dad. The C8 is a beautiful car and it can move, but when you see one every other block ... it just takes something away from the ownership experience IMO. We inherited a modest but significant amount of money after a loss in the family late last year, and we were/are already doing okay for ourselves. I could have had pretty much anything sub ~$120k or so but after realizing new F-Type R's were on order a year or more out, I found a used low-mile '16 F-Type R that checked all the boxes for a lot less. They're budget supercars and borderline exotic in the US, especially in between the coastal states. With AWD you just point it and it goes, fast -- and that exhaust note!!! I can't not turn on Dynamic + Sport mode and click a paddle every time I start the car. It's that intoxicating.

Looks-wise, the front of the F-Type is kind of understated and unless familiar with the Jaguar badge can be confused for a Nissan. That said, without the motor up front anymore, the front of the C8 still looks a tad awkward, even alien to me, but is definitely more exotic-looking compared to prior models. The rear end of the F-Type is just drop-dead sexy to me w/ the rear haunches while the rear of the base C8 still feels off a tad -- you almost need an exaggerated spoiler to finish it out IMO.

I'm sure I would have been happy in the performance dept. w/ the C8, but I enjoy owning something a bit more unique among the crowd. ymmv

Old 07-25-2022, 01:50 PM

It all depends what the buyer's priorities are. Cost, looks, performance, utility, features, maintenance, etc, etc., and each have a different weight in the buyer's mind. Threads like this are like an editor's opinion piece in a newspaper, it's just opinion and there is no conclusion. Also, given that this thread is in the Church of F-Type, it's a forgone conclusion where it'll end up!

Last edited by kb58; 07-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:49 PM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Went thru same thing, long wait for c8

I had a similar experience regarding the C8. I have a Redeye Widebody Hellcat Challenger for fun that I have modified to 950 wheel horsepower and I decided that I was going to buy a more tradional sports car for both myself and my wife to pair with the sledgehammer that is the Redeye. The C8s came out and I placed an order for one with a local dealer in October of 20. They were sup to sell it to me for full sticker but no extra. I put down the 5k deposit and started waiting. Was told it would be late summer of 21 before I had it. Well, the longer we waited the more and more C8s we saw. Cars and coffee locally had ten to 15 just about every meet. After more than 6 months waiting we both started kinda souring on them. When they were new and very few around they were much more appealing I think, and the long wait starting aggravating us. I started looking at some other options including the F Type SVR and the Mercedes AMG GT S. I was really torn between those two. BOTH of those cars were really cool and no one around here had one that I was aware of. There was an older rwd F Type R but that was it. Ultimately I ended up choosing the F Type SVR for the beauty of the car, the AWD, the exclusivity of the SVR model, and the fact that I fit in it well at 6'5" and 235 lbs. Also, compared the AMG GT S, the SVR had a lot more options for the same price. For a fully optioned SVR I could get the AMG GT S but with very few options. I ended up buying the SVR but leaving my order in for the C8. It was a REALLY GOOD THING I bought the SVR because about 6 months later the dealer I had ordered the C8 from called to tell me that he could get my C8 but he was going to have to charge a 20k mark up due to not getting as many allocations as he thought! I was pissed. If I had wanted to pay 20k over sticker I could have bought one a year earlier when I placed the order. That dealer was a total crook. Anyway, it all worked out for the best as I would not have been as happy with the "base" 2LT C8 as my SVR AND I would have been jealous of the Z06 C8s anyway. If I buy a sports or muscle car I want it to be the top model they offer. So I would have been trading in the C8 for a Z06 version and probably paying thru the nose for it!

Quick Reply: F type vs C8