Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Warranty Effect on Value and Other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If I were racing the car every weekend (~1.5-2 hrs of road time) I'd be rebuilding the engine every 4-6 weekends.
Rebuilding every 12 hours of race track? I already have that much on mine, and so far no issues. I think you meant to say 4-6 months (~50 hours of race track), but this is still too conservative. Even for your tuned engine.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TR64ever
The experience sold me on the carbon ceramic brakes for my SVR track car which I can't afford... so I'll stick with the performance brakes on the V6S and remember not to flog it to bad when and if we ever get to a track.
I don't think this is a technical issue, rather expectations/mitigation issue. When on the track, I take cool-down lap every 2-3 laps. If I go longer, then I will take extra lap for cooling. I am not an endurance driver, so this nicely coincides with my low-stress approach.

Driving this way, I yet to experience brake fade on F-type. I really don't think my 'red caliper' brakes are deficient in any way. At least for my specific case and combination of skill and cautiousness it yet to manifest.

Ceramic brakes are not must-have in my book.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Rebuilding every 12 hours of race track? I already have that much on mine, and so far no issues.
Originally Posted by SinF
When on the track, I take cool-down lap every 2-3 laps. If I go longer, then I will take extra lap for cooling. .
Try driving ***** to the wall for 20 or 25 straight laps a dozen times. I believe you would find a significant drop in compression from when new. Your regular cool-off laps are preventing the serious heat buildup that occurs during a real racing cycle.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

I am not denying that heat build up is real, but I haven't seen any signs of it with my F-type. On a few occasions I took temperature probe and measured before and after temperatures. With the engine cover off, I detected no issues whatsoever when ambient temperature was around 25C. However, I still keep my hood up in the pits and let it idle for couple minutes before shutting off...

Have you seen any heat issues yourself, or are you merely suggesting the possibility?

Plus, we know from your tuning escapades that software substantially de-tunes engine when it detects heat-related issues. I am not sure if tuning disables or bypasses this safety measure, but on an all-stock car these safeguards will be in place. If it happens, I fully expect it to cut power.

The reason I take cool-down laps is to have more relaxing time when I do timed laps. I don't want driver's fatigue to be a factor. Plus with so many 911s in my run, it requires my full concentration to stay on top and be seen as competitive. I want to keep the myth that F-type could keep up with Miatas in the twisties and 911s in straights alive. I know this is not true, but THEY yet to see any proof to the contrary.

Last edited by SinF; 02-08-2017 at 10:41 AM.