F Type Website Updated With New Model Names

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default F Type Website Updated With New Model Names

Jaguar F-TYPE | All Models | Performance Sports Car
Good luck making sense out of it lol

Attached Thumbnails F Type Website Updated With New Model Names-jaguar-models.jpeg  

Last edited by AJF; 04-18-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Jaguar F-TYPE | All Models | Performance Sports Car
Good luck making sense out of it lol
So...the S is history.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

While variety is the spice of life (just don't try to tell that to us long-time married men; we already know that...we just can't do anything about it) and having options is, for the most part, a good thing...if I walk into a restaurant which has a short menu, the odds are extremely high that what they do they do extremely well.

Perhaps the analogy doesn't fit perfectly...but that's my thinking.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
While variety is the spice of life (just don't try to tell that to us long-time married men; we already know that...we just can't do anything about it) and having options is, for the most part, a good thing...if I walk into a restaurant which has a short menu, the odds are extremely high that what they do they do extremely well.

Perhaps the analogy doesn't fit perfectly...but that's my thinking.
The concept is referred to as mass customization. Expand the target audience by offering the same basic unit in a cazillion different ways. The confusion that is being created around the badging is purposeful. Makes it easier for the salesperson to down-sell if he/she feels they are losing the customer to pricing. After all, the only models you can distinguish from a distance are the SVR and P7.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The concept is referred to as mass customization. Expand the target audience by offering the same basic unit in a cazillion different ways. The confusion that is being created around the badging is purposeful. Makes it easier for the salesperson to down-sell if he/she feels they are losing the customer to pricing. After all, the only models you can distinguish from a distance are the SVR and P7.
Oh, I get it....I just don't really like it. Having said that, makes no difference to me, or you. I should say, U.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Those screen shots aren't from JaguarUSA. JaguarUSA still lists 17MY cars and options. But it's been known for awhile that the "S" is now called the "R-Dynamic".

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM
AJF

I really don't think confusion is a good way to sell cars, especially ones those that start at $60k; mattresses yes, cars no. And with all of the research options available before you buy a car, I doubt anyone will walk into a showroom not knowing exactly what they want, and what it should cost, so I doubt the confusion tactic will work.

And using the "R" designation for both the V6 and V8 makes the least sense. If they want to confuse customers, then it's a great idea lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJF:
NoScurdyJags (04-18-2017), RickyJay52 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I really don't think confusion is a good way to sell cars, especially ones those that start at $60k; mattresses yes, cars no...
Hope that $60K mattress has active dampers, at least.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by DJS
Hope that $60K mattress has active dampers, at least.
Haha I can think of many other things to spend $60k on.

You know mattress manufacturers give the same exact mattress a different name at each retailer so that you can't directly comparison price. That's why I mentioned it as a great way to sell products by confusing the customer.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Those screen shots aren't from JaguarUSA. JaguarUSA still lists 17MY cars and options. But it's been known for awhile that the "S" is now called the "R-Dynamic".
They will harmonize the models globally. The NA JLR website always lags behind the UK - took a while for the NA Range Rover site to reflect new naming conventions first launched and seen on the UK website.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJF
And with all of the research options available before you buy a car, I doubt anyone will walk into a showroom not knowing exactly what they want, and what it should cost, so I doubt the confusion tactic will work.
Those of us who know our car purchases inside out are the exception rather than the rule. Given how little the salespeople know about their cars, I doubt the general public knows more. Not a single person I know (other than those here on the forum) have any clue what the badges mean, what the hierarchy is, or that there even is a hierarchy. Everybody should cool their jets. The F-Type will retain its cool factor.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I really don't think confusion is a good way to sell cars, especially ones those that start at $60k; mattresses yes, cars no. And with all of the research options available before you buy a car, I doubt anyone will walk into a showroom not knowing exactly what they want, and what it should cost, so I doubt the confusion tactic will work.

And using the "R" designation for both the V6 and V8 makes the least sense. If they want to confuse customers, then it's a great idea lol.
I agree 100%. They screwed up in 2015 by starting with the R in the first place but this latest alphabet soup finishes off the confusion mess nicely!

Dave

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Those of us who know our car purchases inside out are the exception rather than the rule. ...
Maybe car guys like us do it to the extreme, but I don't know anyone that just walks into a showroom to buy a car now a days without doing some research. Again, I think someone looking to buy a car that starts at $60k will at least know which model the want, and/or can afford before walking into a the showroom.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Maybe car guys like us do it to the extreme, but I don't know anyone that just walks into a showroom to buy a car now a days without doing some research. Again, I think someone looking to buy a car that starts at $60k will at least know which model the want, and/or can afford before walking into a the showroom.
You would be surprised - when I picked mine up 3 years ago a friend of mine owned an Audi cabrio. He is not a car guy at all and knows very little beyond seeing something he likes.

A few weeks later he picked up a base F Type convertible - but was totally clueless as to engine configuration / power etc etc and how it compared to mine (V8). He was just exceptionally happy to be driving a car he liked the look of.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Not sure whats so confusing of the naming:

F-TYPE- 4 banger and 340hp base (4 bangers have their own unique wheels and exhaust tip)

-R Dynamic (Formerly the "S")- 380hp

-R, SVR- Nothings changed.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by ek993
You would be surprised - when I picked mine up 3 years ago a friend of mine owned an Audi cabrio. He is not a car guy at all and knows very little beyond seeing something he likes.

A few weeks later he picked up a base F Type convertible - but was totally clueless as to engine configuration / power etc etc and how it compared to mine (V8). He was just exceptionally happy to be driving a car he liked the look of.
Now if anyone's in the minority I bet it's that guy lol. You think he'd be interested in this bridge I have for sale ?

Last edited by AJF; 04-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 AM
AJF

F-TYPE- 4 banger and 340hp base (4 bangers have their own unique wheels and exhaust tip)

Excuse me Mr. Salesman, why are these 2 cars called F types but they look a little different and have different prices ? Are both "R" F Types V8 or V6 or what? And what is the 400, is it a 4 cylinder since it has a 4 in the name? Also, where is the bathroom, I have to use it before I go home to do some research.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AJF
Excuse me Mr. Salesman, why are these 2 cars called F types but they look a little different and have different prices ? Are both "R" F Types V8 or V6 or what? And what is the 400, is it a 4 cylinder since it has a 4 in the name? Also, where is the bathroom, I have to use it before I go home to do some research.
No need to be condescending and I'm not a salesperson. And as I mentioned earlier, your screenshots do not apply to the US. I'm not sure how much more I need to break it down as it was explained.

Lower model F-TYPEs have no badging.
-The 4 banger F-TYPE is priced the lowest because its missing two cylinders
-340HP V6 pretty much stays the same

R-DYNAMIC is a pretty much an appearance package installed on a V6 380HP (badging will say "R-DYNAMIC")
-V6 380HP (formerly known as the "S" will no longer have badging.)

400 Sport:
-Is a "special edition" the V6 producing 400HP

R/SVR:
-550HP V8 for the "R"
-575HP V8 for the "SVR"

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

You forgot that the 4 banger is also going to be available in "R Dynamic".

"S" used to mean the sport version of the V6 and the only version of the V8......then they decided to have an R (coupe) and S (vert) version of the V8 at the same time......then they changed the next model year to the 'vert being an "R" the same as the coupe......then they dropped the "S" from the V6 model in favor of "R dynamic" (silly and/or stupid IMO) and now they are adding a 4cyl version that will also be available in "R dynamic".

The "R Dynamic" is clunky and confusing when you have just "R" models of the same car available. They've completely botched the naming/badging of the F type in my opinion with only the SVR and P7 remaining unscathed.

They should have never changed from the "S" = sport versions or if they did then they should have just stuck with "R" = sport/race with:

- F type base 4 cyl
- F type 4R (or maybe 4TR)
- F type V6 base
- F type V6R
- F type V8R
- F type SVR

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
You forgot that the 4 banger is also going to be available in "R Dynamic".

"S" used to mean the sport version of the V6 and the only version of the V8......then they decided to have an R (coupe) and S (vert) version of the V8 at the same time......then they changed the next model year to the 'vert being an "R" the same as the coupe......then they dropped the "S" from the V6 model in favor of "R dynamic" (silly and/or stupid IMO) and now they are adding a 4cyl version that will also be available in "R dynamic".

The "R Dynamic" is clunky and confusing when you have just "R" models of the same car available. They've completely botched the naming/badging of the F type in my opinion with only the SVR and P7 remaining unscathed.

They should have never changed from the "S" = sport versions or if they did then they should have just stuck with "R" = sport/race with:

- F type base 4 cyl
- F type 4R (or maybe 4TR)
- F type V6 base
- F type V6R
- F type V8R
- F type SVR

2 cents,
Dave
I see that you're in Canada and even though we're on the same continent, USA models can be different from Canadian models. I'm doing a deep dive on the 2018 F-TYPE order guide and seeing if the "R-DYNAMIC" will apply to US spec 4 banger cars.

For example....the LED headlights will be standard on all US spec models. Base model cars in the UK still have the HID headlights.