Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f Type whistle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f Type whistle

Hi
Sorry to ask if this has been asked before. I have recently bought a 2015 F Type V6. I have not noticed before but when I accelerate reasonable hard but steadily just before it changes up there is a short whistle. Is this normal.
Thank you for your help.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

A little more information would be helpful, does the whistle seem to be coming from the engine or the transmission or the rear of the car ?
An audio clip might help someone recognize the sound. Several on here are very experienced and helpful.
Congrats on your new cat.
MM

Old 10-19-2020, 02:35 PM

Thank you for replying and thank you for your comments.
the whistle appears to come from the engine and only comes for a second or so before the gear box changes up. It is quite hard to hear with the lovely exhaust noise but it is definitely there. If I accelerate gently it doesn’t happen.
I will try and record it and post it but I’m not sure how successful it will be.
many thanks.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

@Therock88 (I think) or others have mentioned a noise during shifting, which a tranny fluid change resolved.

Sit down when you SEARCH online for fluid prices.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

It's not uncommon for there to be a bit of induction whine at around 3000 to 3500RPM which you hear before the exhaust noise overrides it. You hear that more with the windows up than down. Some of us like that noise, I took off the engine cover and put in BMC filters to enhance it.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

One suggestion, you might see if you locate some local owners and take a ride in one of their car to see if you hear the same thing. It's hard to diagnose over the internet but having a comparison with another car will help you determine if it's an issue or normal.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Supercharger whine i suspect. Likely normal as long as it’s not happening at all rev counts.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:25 AM

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

The noise is definitely a whistle and not a whine and it only lasts a second or so. As far as I can tell it doesn't build, it comes in probably at a certain rev count (I'll check later) just before gear change and stops just before the change actually happens. It is quite noticeable when the windows are open, radio off etc.

I'll take the car out later, keep listening and report back. Thank you again.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Could be the result of a vacuum leak. I believe vacuum maxes during/prior to an upshift.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whistling leak sound f type aws 2016 s

this came on today and went all day on my 2016 f type 6, anybody ever heard this before?
thanks in advance,

Last edited by brit; 03-21-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:48 AM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric Rob
Hi
Sorry to ask if this has been asked before. I have recently bought a 2015 F Type V6. I have not noticed before but when I accelerate reasonable hard but steadily just before it changes up there is a short whistle. Is this normal.
Thank you for your help.

I get this too on hard acceleration in low gears, right before upshifting.

It's consistent and it concerned me for a while, so last July I went for a test drive with a technician from the local dealer.

After hearing the sound he said "supercharger blow-off valve", nothing to be worried about.

Hope he's right.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:14 AM

Thank you, I hope he is.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:29 PM
Default Update on the whistle?

hi - realise this thread is a few years old but wondered if anyone involved is still on and knows how this played out. I have exactly the same whistling sound on my F Type V6. Cuts in at about 2k revs dies away after 4k. Definitely coming from the front not the mirrors or seals. Sounded like the Jag tech quoted below was saying this was related to the blow-off valve and was nothing serious… any update Ric Rob? Thanks

Originally Posted by Ric Rob
Hi
Thank you for your help.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:03 PM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavs1m
hi - realise this thread is a few years old but wondered if anyone involved is still on and knows how this played out. I have exactly the same whistling sound on my F Type V6. Cuts in at about 2k revs dies away after 4k. Definitely coming from the front not the mirrors or seals. Sounded like the Jag tech quoted below was saying this was related to the blow-off valve and was nothing serious… any update Ric Rob? Thanks
In my case it turned out to be a combination of a supercharger drive belt and tensioner that needed replacing (the belt was more obvious than the tensioner).
So it wasn't a "whistle", but rather a very high-pitched squeal (belt slip) that only sounded like a whistle.

Given that your issue occurs between 2 and 4k, you might have something different though.
My issue began between 5 and 6k and was accompanied by a noticeable reduction in power (which became even more noticeable after installing a tune).

The following users liked this post:
Gavs1m (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 05:25 AM
Default Update on FType whistle

Thanks Luc for feedback earlier and apologies for delay in updating the thread but work and life got in the way! So I put the car into a main Jaguar dealer here in UK (Beadles / Group 1) who kept it for 3 weeks, stripped the engine down (twice), checked tranny fluid, replaced supercharger and fuel pump (both under warranty thankfully), examined hoses and other areas…but could not get rid of the whistle. Cannot fault their efforts and they even did a deal on labour capping so bill was much lower than I feared. Their chief tech assured me that nothing untoward was going on w the car so I have addressed it by throwing noise at the problem in the form of a tasty exhaust upgrade courtesy of Modstock. 2 birds with 1 stone as I needed to replace 1 of the valves anyway. Now w the new deeper exhaust note the whistle is much less noticeable. I’d still like to figure out what is causing this though so if any other folks have experienced similar and fixed pls advise. I attach short audio file where the whistling cuts in after about 2 secs in case this is helpful. Again, not a huge problem but just annoying;-)