F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the F-Type for the younger demographic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm 63. Love the F-Type. If I was 30 I'd still love it. I could not afford it at 30 though.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 32 and absolutely the Ftype but I think its more of a midset than an age thing, with all cars really. I feel like this car has a target demo of anyone who wants all drama and fun for the sheer hell of it, at the expense of a maybe a few 10/10s performance numbers. No matter what age you are you either have that strain in your DNA or you don't.

I've loved my Lexus cars and SUVs and love our Audi Q5 but there is a strain in my DNA where the Ftype just makes so much sense. Some people don't have that - its either too much drama for them or not clinical enough etc. But there are few cars that can make a grocery run and other daily drives as much silly fun as an Ftype and to me that is immensely valuable, as all our time here is limited and I want to be smiling for as long as humanly possible while I'm here - this car takes care of that while I'm driving.

Obviously the price will preclude a lot of younger people from buying them, as the minority of youngsters with $80 - $130k to spend have a lot of options, most of which are more mainstream and shoved in their faces on youtube (GTRs, AMG GTRs, 911s, etc).

I've only seen a handful of other Ftypes in Fresno and only 1 other V8. All were driven by older ladies and gentlemen.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by addict
I am 24 as I mentioned before -- have no kids -- and no plans on kids anytime soon....buuuuuut the lack of usable space in the convertible is shocking and has actually been an issue for me quite a few times.

Its bad to the point where my girlfriend and I can HARDLY fit a duffel bag each for a weekend away -- anything more than 4 days or so, we're **** out of luck and stuck taking a different car to the airport. In the same vain, I travel for work a bit and ALWAYS have to take a different car, I can't fit a suitcase and backpack in the trunk of the jag which is a little outrageous. I can definitely understand why that would turn people off of the car -- an M2 has a usable trunk [and a back seat to toss a bag on]. This hasn't really been an issue for me as I've always had a couple cars but in the last few weeks I've sold everything except the F Type trying to reorganize my life for what comes next, its certainly going to be tough using the jag as a 'practical' vehicle for the next couple months.
I'm sure you'll adapt nicely! ha ha

Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I'm sure you'll adapt nicely! ha ha
I live a rough life

I may be moving so I wanted to be audible ready / only have to ship one car. Wherever I end up, I'll figure out a second car -- I want another Wrangler, Emma wants a Velar -- we'll probably compromise and get a Velar.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I live a rough life

I may be moving so I wanted to be audible ready / only have to ship one car. Wherever I end up, I'll figure out a second car -- I want another Wrangler, Emma wants a Velar -- we'll probably compromise and get a Velar.
We just picked up a Velar. It is an outstanding vehicle.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
We just picked up a Velar. It is an outstanding vehicle.
we were planning on going to drive one next week just to make sure it lives up to expectations -- did you end up with the v6 or the i4? I'm leaning towards the i4 at least while window shopping

Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Very different vehicle, obviously, but I've been very happy with the 247HP 2.0l in my 2018 XE. Wanted a balance between performance and fuel economy, and for me, this is just right.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

we were planning on going to drive one next week just to make sure it lives up to expectations -- did you end up with the v6 or the i4? I'm leaning towards the i4 at least while window shopping
i4. Heidi drove both the P250 and P380 back to back and said she didn't really notice a difference. He prior car was a Discovery Sport with the same powertrain, so she was used to it.

It is in every way a phenomenal car. She got the R-Dynamic package and instead of black pack, a satin black pack on the exact same color back as my F-Type. I've taken it camping for my Ragnar Race and it easily swallowed up my 10x20 EZ-UP, along with a couple of coolers, tents, and all the other things associated with camping. It's a great ride down the road and Sport mode makes it a pretty good handler. Then there's the looks...IMO, it looks better than the RR Sport.

We've had it for about 3 months now and we have no complaints.They are also running specials on the Velars, so the price was competitive.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

I live a rough life

My wife wants a Velar as well. Impressive vehicle from my day with it as a dealer loaner.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I am 24 as I mentioned before -- have no kids -- and no plans on kids anytime soon....buuuuuut the lack of usable space in the convertible is shocking and has actually been an issue for me quite a few times.

Its bad to the point where my girlfriend and I can HARDLY fit a duffel bag each for a weekend away -- anything more than 4 days or so, we're **** out of luck and stuck taking a different car to the airport. In the same vain, I travel for work a bit and ALWAYS have to take a different car, I can't fit a suitcase and backpack in the trunk of the jag which is a little outrageous.

This is why my Alfa Spider's place was taken by the coupe - we looked at the convertible, but the space was just non existent. We've taken the coupe up north to several different Bnb and resorts over the past year, lovely weekend trips - even driving in whiteout conditions this January. I'm so glad we got the coupe, otherwise these memories would have been us in a Toyota Echo instead! I remember the stock washer fluid freezing as I was driving, and having to stop and get the orange stuff, days driving in -13f.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Ippolito

This is why my Alfa Spider's place was taken by the coupe - we looked at the convertible, but the space was just non existent. We've taken the coupe up north to several different Bnb and resorts over the past year, lovely weekend trips - even driving in whiteout conditions this January. I'm so glad we got the coupe, otherwise these memories would have been us in a Toyota Echo instead! I remember the stock washer fluid freezing as I was driving, and having to stop and get the orange stuff, days driving in -13f.
The coupe or convertible question is one of personal preference but there is no doubt that the coupe has significantly more cargo room. The numbers don't tell the whole story because of the odd shape of the trunk of the convertible makes the trunk less usable than the size suggests. On the hand having driven the convertible on a backroad, the feeling of open air motoring in the F-Type is much nicer than my coupe with windows down.

The following users liked this post:
dws009 (10-10-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
The coupe or convertible question is one of personal preference but there is no doubt that the coupe has significantly more cargo room. The numbers don't tell the whole story because of the odd shape of the trunk of the convertible makes the trunk less usable than the size suggests. On the hand having driven the convertible on a backroad, the feeling of open air motoring in the F-Type is much nicer than my coupe with windows down.
definitely a different beast. We would have gone for the convertible even with the small trunk if the coupe had not come with the glass roof.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for the answers everyone. Interesting to hear everyone's take!

My two cents: Jaguar brand resonates with a group that generally cares about sophistication and/or heritage, wants something slightly different, and doesn't care about the performance nitty gritty numbers. Aftermarket support is extremely limited making it not the best candidate for those who want to modify their cars; a ding compared to AMG or M Division for the "younger folks". I do personally miss the various suspension options, carbon fiber bits and pieces, copious aftermarket wheel options, etc. but love the Jaguar brand so am thrilled with the purchase.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

My Dad has a XK8...
i resemble that remark.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

That brings up another point. My F-Type is the first car I have named since my ol' 77 Firebird (Grace). With her red interior, I just had to name her Roxanne.
I never understand the idea of naming your car like it's a person (and does it always have to be female?) I'm a Jag enthusiast but I would sometimes refer to it as an animal (cat, kitty, etc) but never a person - to me that's just odd. Anyone care to elucidate?

Old 09-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

My cars have always been gender neutral. I really don’t want one up on its rear tires humping another car. lol

Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I never understand the idea of naming your car like it's a person (and does it always have to be female?) I'm a Jag enthusiast but I would sometimes refer to it as an animal (cat, kitty, etc) but never a person - to me that's just odd. Anyone care to elucidate?
But is it mere personification or anthropomorphism? Psychologically, to anthropomorphize could be either a way to justify one's emotional connection with an inanimate object, to make it seem worthy of the love and attention being given to it OR it may be a way to explain functions (or malfunctions) which the owner (who is likely not trained as a mechanic) doesn't understand, much the way early humans attributed thunder to the Gods. Either way its not "logical" and thus to you and me, it seems odd. On the other hand it may be more innocent personification, perhaps similar to the nautical tradition of naming one's boat. Seagoing vessels are not merely mass produced machines, but rather each becomes "home" on the water and is totally relied upon for life support. The captain may never ascribe any living traits to his boat, but yet it's far too important a possession to be referred to by its year, make and model. Perhaps a traveling salesman who relies so totally on his automobile for his commissions would choose to name his car like a captain names his boat. The use of women's names, perhaps to honor a mother, wife or adolescent crush, is just somewhat traditional. No telling how many boats are named Mary Ann and there are probably a few Oldsmobiles named Linda.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
But is it mere personification or anthropomorphism? Psychologically, to anthropomorphize could be either a way to justify one's emotional connection with an inanimate object, to make it seem worthy of the love and attention being given to it OR it may be a way to explain functions (or malfunctions) which the owner (who is likely not trained as a mechanic) doesn't understand, much the way early humans attributed thunder to the Gods. Either way its not "logical" and thus to you and me, it seems odd. On the other hand it may be more innocent personification, perhaps similar to the nautical tradition of naming one's boat. Seagoing vessels are not merely mass produced machines, but rather each becomes "home" on the water and is totally relied upon for life support. The captain may never ascribe any living traits to his boat, but yet it's far too important a possession to be referred to by its year, make and model. Perhaps a traveling salesman who relies so totally on his automobile for his commissions would choose to name his car like a captain names his boat. The use of women's names, perhaps to honor a mother, wife or adolescent crush, is just somewhat traditional. No telling how many boats are named Mary Ann and there are probably a few Oldsmobiles named Linda.
I am impressed with your thought process, but maybe a bit too cerebral for this forum?

Old 09-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

For me, it's a bit more like naming a boat (I named our last boat Serenity after the ship on Firefly). I do get very attached to my vehicles and they can be like a home or haven while on the road (you know, my space since I'm very much an introvert and don't like others in MY space). I have friends who have named their cars for men, but for me, most of my cars just seem more feminine (possibly because I am female?). I don't anthropomorphize them at all. I know they aren't living, breathing beings, but they can be very important to me and I put some thought into their names (my Solstice was Talia for Talia al Ghul after a friend yelled "OMG you bought the batmobile!" and Vivien is for Vivien Leigh since she was both British and played a southern character from my home town). You can always tell if a particular car was special to me or not by whether or not I named it. My '86 Mustang someone else took to calling Rebel (grey car and I'm southern), but I never called it that, nor did I name it, my '97 Mustang GT Convertible was Jade, my Volvo was either "the Volvo" or "that POS" or "that hunk of junk", then the Solstice and now the Jag. Of course I have always wanted to get a '58 Plymouth Fury and name her Christine.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I am not as young as I wish I was...............but, when I can pry the keys out of my son's hand, the car is a h#ll of a lot of fun to drive

Quick Reply: Is the F-Type for the younger demographic?