F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the F-Type for the younger demographic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Are you sure it was AWD? Mine is very sure footed, much more so than my previous 2010 XKR.
I believe him. I've gotten my AWD R sideways on a tight onramp, probably due to the P-Zeros...

Old 10-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was 38 when the F Type soft top was launched in 2013. Before the launch I was firmly of the opinion that Jaguars were aimed squarely at men at least 10 years older than myself. For those of you in the UK, Arthur Daley sums up the demographic perfectly. The F Type was clearly an attempt to break out of that mold and appeal to a younger audience of men and women. As I said to the salesman in the dealership, if they hadn't of bought out the F Type, I'd probably never have stepped foot in a Jaguar garage. IMO, the F Pace has also done wonders for their image.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulParanoia
I was 38 when the F Type soft top was launched in 2013. Before the launch I was firmly of the opinion that Jaguars were aimed squarely at men at least 10 years older than myself. For those of you in the UK, Arthur Daley sums up the demographic perfectly. The F Type was clearly an attempt to break out of that mold and appeal to a younger audience of men and women. As I said to the salesman in the dealership, if they hadn't of bought out the F Type, I'd probably never have stepped foot in a Jaguar garage. IMO, the F Pace has also done wonders for their image.

+1 on the 'Arfur Daley', also Jag owners had a bit of a rep for being slightly oily 'Oiks' that tended to forget their wallet at the bar, A La Mr Daley!!

Personally, I really liked the old XJS Vert, very 'Elegant'. My boss at my first job had one, and I liked (but not loved) the XK, but not enough to walk in and buy one. The F was my first must have Jag, don't know whether that means I am getting old, or the Jag's are getting better, but I would bet on the 2nd one..

Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey
+1 on the 'Arfur Daley', also Jag owners had a bit of a rep for being slightly oily 'Oiks' that tended to forget their wallet at the bar, A La Mr Daley!!

Personally, I really liked the old XJS Vert, very 'Elegant'. My boss at my first job had one, and I liked (but not loved) the XK, but not enough to walk in and buy one. The F was my first must have Jag, don't know whether that means I am getting old, or the Jag's are getting better, but I would bet on the 2nd one..
And...I would guarantee the 1st one.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
The coupe or convertible question is one of personal preference but there is no doubt that the coupe has significantly more cargo room. The numbers don't tell the whole story because of the odd shape of the trunk of the convertible makes the trunk less usable than the size suggests. On the hand having driven the convertible on a backroad, the feeling of open air motoring in the F-Type is much nicer than my coupe with windows down.
The coupe vs convertible is definitely about personal preference. While I would love the extra space the coupe offers, the backend just doesn't do it for me like the convertible's. Any back-road driving or driving that doesn't entail being stuck in traffic or having to go slow enough that my back gets all sweaty, makes the lack of storage space acceptable in my book. I'd kill for cooled seats though!

Old 02-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

There's a saying... "Age only counts when you are a wine or a cheese"... to which I would add... "or a violin" Stradivarius here :-)

Old 02-04-2022, 10:23 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

And we're all three and a half years even older than when this thread started!

The trouble with the "age is a just a number" adage is when it's a big number .... Or, as Oscar observed: "the problem with old age is not that one is old, but that one is young."

Old 02-04-2022, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I think this was answered MANY years ago??

You can sell a young man's car to an old man.
You CAN NOT sell a old man's car to a young man.

It's really as simple as that.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
You CAN NOT sell a old man's car to a young man.
Your statement leaves room for the possibility to sell an old man's car to a young man. You mean "cannot" (an inabilty to do something) rather than "can not" which is an ability to not do something. That space really changes the meaning. Pedantic lesson over.

The following users liked this post:
GeDaJew (02-06-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 01:12 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I am 25 and I love my F-Type. Candidly however, it was never really on my radar until my girlfriend said she loved the car and dragged me along to test a SVR. The exhaust theater blew me away. I’ve owned mine for 7 months now and my only regret is not having gotten a F-Type sooner.

scm (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Your statement leaves room for the possibility to sell an old man's car to a young man. You mean "cannot" (an inabilty to do something) rather than "can not" which is an ability to not do something. That space really changes the meaning. Pedantic lesson over.
I LOVE having you here Steve helping all of us with our grammar!!! (“Eats, Shoots & Leaves”).

Originally Posted by Xec
I am 25 and I love my F-Type. Candidly however, it was never really on my radar until my girlfriend said she loved the car and dragged me along to test a SVR. The exhaust theater blew me away. I’ve owned mine for 7 months now and my only regret is not having gotten a F-Type sooner.
Sounds like your girlfriend might just be—should be—your wife? As the saying goes, “she’s a keeper”.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

You are correct of course!
Will try to do better.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
There's a saying... "Age only counts when you are a wine or a cheese"... to which I would add... "or a violin" Stradivarius here :-)
Funny how someone who owns an E-Type brings this thread alive again...
I think my son is afraid of the F-Type's power. He has a Jeep, which I think the younger crowd loves My youngest daughter, probably loves it though she's always loved my cars including the Honda Civic. The problem is that they can't afford it unless we give it to them, which was what she thought when she got her license and the Civic was totaled by a drunk driver. Her friends always loved my XF and S-Type, but the S-Type was always an old man's car.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Hats off to the 25 year old who can afford an SVR !!
Congratulations.

scm (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My taste in sports cars always exceeded my budget. A lot of that was because so much of my take home pay went to a mortgage payment, which here in Southern California was always a king's ransom.
But I did manage to own quite a few fun sports cars in the moderate price range including a Mazda RX7, Toyota MR2 and a Nissan 370Z. It wasn't until recently that I was able to afford an F Type R and that was due to retiring debt free and with a nice investment portfolio.

Now I'm a silver haired gent in what many consider to be a gentleman's sports car. However I sure wish I could have bought one when my hair was still dark and I had more of it !

scm (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Hats off to the 25 year old who can afford an SVR !!
Congratulations.
Thanks guys. I’m in a bit of a lucky situation as my job is normally based out of NYC. Due to the pandemic I’ve been residing in TX for the past 2 years WFH, which means a lot more disposable income that I can put towards cars 😂. To give some perspective, the monthly payment on the SVR isn’t even half a NYC apartment! Prices are outrageous over there

Old 02-06-2022, 12:11 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I got mine on my 26th birthday Well, to be specific I bought it before and it shipped just in time that I had it several hours before the clock actually struck midnight. In my opinion, it's just the perfect combo of so many things. I also considered a 991.1S.

I've gotten a few comments (maybe 3 in total over my ownership) about it being a car usually driven by older drivers, but 90%+ people just admire the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by takeapieandrun:
Dwight Frye (02-06-2022), SassySarah (02-06-2022)