Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f-types burning

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
If the failure is compromising integrity of the engine (note the massive oil puddle) it's not being caused by a piston failure, but by a point load failure of a connecting rod that launches through the oil pan. My understanding is the rods on the 8 and 6 are identical. If not...
I can't remember the last time I've seen a modern engine of any kind experience a piston failure. My impression is that it's almost always a point-of-load failure, with connecting rods the prime culprits. Valve collisions with pistons are another cause.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it was a V6S.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I read through some of the German forums (where Mr Sandmann linked back to this thread).

A lot of the discussion seems to talk about;

- Very first production cars of 2013/2014
- Ex-dealer demonstrator vehicles
- Hire cars

being the ones where the engine popped, and some caught fire.

There also is a lot of talk about "break in" period, that those kind of vehicles got a thrashing without being "broken in" properly.

Sandmann; du und die anderer Deutscher F-Type besitzern kennt viele mehr von dieses thema als die Americaner. Bitte dem informieren, nicht nür schockieren...
Sorry, I had no intention to shock anybody.
In the beginning hire cars were affected, then Jaguar promotion cars, sold and checked by Jaguar Deutschland -The jag You see above was such a promotion car - but finally not preowned f-type caught fire.
Only V6((S),90% of the V6 in G are V6S), no V8.
According to Jaguar all f-types got a blackbox, so Jaguar could read out whether the car was broken in as recommended or not. Guaranty!
We got no Information from Jaguar what the reason was, but they changed the broken engines on guarantee.
So, in fact, we f-type owners in Germany have no solid idea what the problem with the v6 is. There are even not to many f-types in Germany. I can count the f-types I met on the road this year on one hand's fingers.
Most of the f-types were sold to the US. So, why do our V6 engines break (at least some of them) and yours doent?
Stefan
P.s.: There has been a similar problem with the Porsche GT3. Porsche finally called all cars back and changed the engine for free.
P.p.s.: I love my Jaguar

The following 2 users liked this post by sandmann62:
Cambo (07-16-2015), Foosh (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM

The man in the middle is not the priest, it's the owner.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I, for one, very much appreciate your report! Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
sandmann62 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Maybe Germany just got a bad production batch? Could happen if there are relatively few F-Types in Germany and all were built around the same time. Or, my favorite theory, those Brits just don't like Germans and sent you exploding engines

Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that oil leak was reminiscent of the porsche M96 engine RMS failure that was prevelent in mid production 996 style 911s. Many were repaired in warranty it was the ones who were out of cpo/warranty that got screwed.

Has anyone heard of a warranty denial due to improper spec break-in? I havent and Id be a prime candidate- but it would be VERY poor pr to deny a claim for that reason unless it was multiple egregious rev limiter hits

Old 07-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Maybe Germany just got a bad production batch? Could happen if there are relatively few F-Types in Germany and all were built around the same time. Or, my favorite theory, those Brits just don't like Germans and sent you exploding engines
Maybe. Bomber Harris reloaded? But on the other hand they got still a query open since july 4th 1776.

If its a matter of production batch Jaguar allready hat done a callback.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I have never heard of a warranty claimed denied because you didn't follow break-in recommendations. Probably because they are just recommendations and guidelines. They are footnotes in the owner's manual, not mandatory. I do remember some Nissan GT-R issues from people doing very hard launches with the launch control. Nissan at first said they shouldn't be doing all those hard launches but eventually I provided warranty coverage. I think since then they disabled consecutive hard launches. This Is Nissan's GT-R Launch-Control Warranty Settlement

Old 07-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

While we are speculating I will throw in my 2 cents worth. The following pertains only to 2014 cars because that is what I own and what I researched.

In the car pictured, based on the puddle, it appears a bearing may have seized, or a piston seized in the bore, either can cause a rod to fracture, with the broken rod piercing the pan or the side of the block. This failure mode makes me think lubricant failure. Which is something I already think about with 5/20 oil. I understand many HiPo engines are running 5/40 these days and some run 5/50 (Shelby mustang). There must be a reason they do and we know fuel economy is the likely reason we don't.

The Castrol SLX oil the manual calls specifies has a whole string of numbers representing the standards it is supposed to
meet. One of these that is met by the SLX oil is A5/B5. The SLX oil is NLA. The Castrol Edge they now sell at the dealer as a substitute no longer lists the A5/B5 designation. A5/B5 happens to be the high performance specification, which to me means the SLX oil will live at sustained high temps and sustained high revs. The fact that the oil jag is selling us isn't SLX and doesn't meet the original hiPo spec means we may not have cars that can live under those conditions with the lubricant installed at dealer services.

We in the U.S. may not abuse the oil enough to need the A5/B5 specification but on the autobahn they certainly do.

Motul does make an oil that has all the numbers listed in the original Castrol SLX but it is not sold in 'Merica.

This is my theory. Let's hear yours.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
While we are speculating I will throw in my 2 cents worth. The following pertains only to 2014 cars because that is what I own and what I researched.

In the car pictured, based on the puddle, it appears a bearing may have seized, or a piston seized in the bore, either can cause a rod to fracture, with the broken rod piercing the pan or the side of the block. This failure mode makes me think lubricant failure. Which is something I already think about with 5/20 oil. I understand many HiPo engines are running 5/40 these days and some run 5/50 (Shelby mustang). There must be a reason they do and we know fuel economy is the likely reason we don't.

The Castrol SLX oil the manual calls specifies has a whole string of numbers representing the standards it is supposed to
meet. One of these that is met by the SLX oil is A5/B5. The SLX oil is NLA. The Castrol Edge they now sell at the dealer as a substitute no longer lists the A5/B5 designation. A5/B5 happens to be the high performance specification, which to me means the SLX oil will live at sustained high temps and sustained high revs. The fact that the oil jag is selling us isn't SLX and doesn't meet the original hiPo spec means we may not have cars that can live under those conditions with the lubricant installed at dealer services.

We in the U.S. may not abuse the oil enough to need the A5/B5 specification but on the autobahn they certainly do.

Motul does make an oil that has all the numbers listed in the original Castrol SLX but it is not sold in 'Merica.

This is my theory. Let's hear yours.
Maybe its just plain old 'too thin' - 0W 20??

Or perhaps if its 0W 20 *and* is not the correct spec oil, then its on the bleeding edge? Maybe Jag need to come up with alternate 'acceptable' oil spec, perhaps a thicker one?

Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Default oil

Till 2014 Jaguar recommended 5W-20 for the V6, since available, 0W-20. Well. Since then I got no new reports about newly broken engines.
Is it that easy?
What about the engines running with 5W 20 for may miles? Long term damages to be expected?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sandmann62
We had several f-types burning after a motordamage last time in Germany.
Only V6 engines, no V8!
Seems to be a bigger Problem.
Du You have similar experiences in the US? And maybe answers?

Greetings from the land without general speedlimits on Highways.

Sandmann
Greetings Sandmann.

May I ask how you like your billy goats cooked?

Also, do you have any hints on how best to decorate the undersides of bridges?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Greetings Sandmann.

Billy goats??
Probabely You You got lost in old europes geography. Germany: No goats cooked. Schweinsbraten mit Semmelknödel und eine Mass Bier.
Bridges decorated are often seen in Iceland.
Doen't worry. 3000 miles +/-, Who cares.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Greetings Sandmann.

C'mon - I don't think this qualifies as 'trolling' - seems like a legit to very legit concern, perhaps under circumstances that don't generally apply in the US...

Last edited by mshedden; 07-16-2015 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sandmann62 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sandmann62
Till 2014 Jaguar recommended 5W-20 for the V6, since available, 0W-20. Well. Since then I got no new reports about newly broken engines.
Is it that easy?
What about the engines running with 5W 20 for may miles? Long term damages to be expected?
I dont know, they should both be the same viscosity at operating temperature, but the 0W should be easier starting in winter (0W 20 specified for the V8 where winter temps below -20C). Normally you would expect a heavier oil for extreme use, one that clings better...0W 30, 5W 30 etc?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Maybe its just plain old 'too thin' - 0W 20??

Or perhaps if its 0W 20 *and* is not the correct spec oil, then its on the bleeding edge? Maybe Jag need to come up with alternate 'acceptable' oil spec, perhaps a thicker one?
That would make sense to me. Monitoring oil temp and pressure would also make sense. For now I am just changing the oil more frequently using the incorrect spec'd oil the Jag dealer is selling me. I am also doing my high rpm driving in shorter bursts alternated with lower rpm periods to cool the oil. I would prefer to get motul, redline or amsoil to sell me a product that fully meets the castrol's original SLX specifications. Motul already has one (jaguar 925 specific) but try as I might I can't get it in the U.S.A. unless I import it from a U.K. supplier.

I am not convinced the viscosity is by itself the engine killer here but I strongly suspect the oil is not up to the kind of abuse it sees at sustained high speeds since it doesn't pass the a5/b5 test. What is more troubling is that the issue isn't being addressed by the company with a tsb and/or we aren't being told the reason for the failures. We have to guess. It's not great for resale values among other consequences.

Last edited by Nookieman; 07-16-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Herefordshire.
Hmm.
Do you have burning F-types too?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM

The Problem seems to be that there is no way to monitor oil themperature and pressure.

Quick Reply: f-types burning