Factory Visit: random recollections

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Factory Visit: random recollections

Visited the factory recently. Amazing.
originally a Morris factory, built approx 12000 of 20000 Spitfires during WW2
Make 41 FTypes each day. Approx 10 min at each “station” Mini is approx 58 seconds each station.
Special Paint : all dipping , heating to activate the adhesives at factory, shipped to special paint facility ( I think in Coventry but not sure) then returned and placed back in factory line up for finishing. But...with coupes, not before boot/ trunk lid with special paint is returned to Portugal where it was made...and returned to factory so it will meet up with the rest of the car . “ just in time” building. Thus a better understanding of £12000 for special paint plus £2000 if suede.
Enjoyed a “hockey “sized bag with heated wiring loom to ease installation.
DHL are responsible for “just in time” delivery of all the various bits to the assembly line. Some of the boxes of to be installed bits noted that DHL to be notified when eg: 8 of say 30 were remaining.
Huge presses were stacked up approx 5-8 high....huge cost to redo body / frame pieces.
All aluminum scraps are returned to Germany and credited against the huge rolls af aluminum use to build each car. The rolls are “ straightened “ in an elaborate procedure before being cut into usable pieces then pressed etc.
Body is lowered onto drive train, suspension and wheels torqued with auto “wrenches” and then a human goes about seemingly randomly checking .
2021 will see a straight 6 as the power for the R we were told. A 2021 was going through on the line but couldn’t get a clear view of the engine. Did see a front hood/bonnet . The hood vents are located at similar angle to the lights and approx 8” from the front of the hood. To my eye the grill opening is narrower but higher than at present...and the shiny black bar across the grill is gone.
I’m trying to load a picture inelegantly modified ...
These “facts” are as I recall our tour guide. No pictures were allowed.
The story about the trunk lid, the aluminum to-ing and fro-ing , wheels on mine are made in Poland etc makes one wonder about the Brexit mess and it’s effect on manufacturing.
From this and the Morgan factory tour I strongly recommend both tours...and likely any factory tour. Truly amazing.
Alan

The following 7 users liked this post by Awd:
16fnrbrg (09-19-2019), BruceTheQuail (09-19-2019), DJS (09-19-2019), George05 (11-01-2019), Mbourne (11-01-2019), RickyJay52 (09-19-2019), Unhingd (09-19-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Great post! Car Magazine (UK) published their artist render of the new style based on the mule photos.

Factory Visit: random recollections-photo119.jpg

Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the post, Awd. In what city is that factory located? Did you notice if a European Delivery discount is available?
We did a Volvo factory tour in '04, took our discount of 10%, their free plane tix and hotel, and drove around Sweden / Denmark for 10 days. The robotics in the factory were a surprise, especially to this Hoosier Boy who worked in a couple of US auto factories whilst hurrying through college.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

A fine post by one of the “finer” Forum members here; or anywhere.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Just remembered.
Guide also told us earlier FTypes used a “universal “ wiring harness....now each harness contains what is necessary for the options on the particular vehicle.

The following 4 users liked this post by Awd:
BruceTheQuail (09-19-2019), JgaXkr (09-19-2019), Mbourne (11-01-2019), Unhingd (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Does this old link still work?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/me8gklc3z6...B-Jag.mp4?dl=0
you have to open it in Dropbox to get the full video, otherwise just a clip.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yup, still works.
I also posted a link in the other thread to the How It’s Made episode - shows the wiring ‘loom’ installation, aluminum pressing, etc. Gives you a bit of an idea what one of our members went through when Jag replaced the harness in her V8S.

Alan, that does sound like a great tour. Thanks for posting that.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 AM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Just did the factory tour a couple of weeks ago. Saw pretty much all of the above Awd mentioned.
There was no choice which assembly 'block' you get to see when you book. As an S Type R driver I wouldn't have minded seeing assembly of the XF or XJ but current XJ production has ceased of course and that block was having all the machinery ripped out for the new XJ. S Type production was in Block E.
Was certainly not disappointed seeing F Type assembly though. I did get to see three pre-production 2021 (year for Australian delivery) models which the guide tried to skim pass. Two cars were going through the interesting to watch water/storm test room, so I got to stand right next to the cars. The third car was nearby still wearing its camouflage. CAR magazines' rendering is quite accurate. The front lower spoiler seems to have more of a larger pronounced lip and the front end does look more aggressive in the flesh.The new model overall is really beautiful with the headlights being the biggest obvious change. The current model is a gorgeous car as well; compared to the German offerings I would have one any day.
I have driven several in the F Type range but the interior to me on the new cars did not look hugely different. I am sure regular F Type drivers will notice some change though.
Straight 6 possible for the new R? Maybe BMW sourced? Maybe also be quicker but to me not quite the same as a V8..
To memory tour cost was around 45 pounds. Costs around another 55 pounds to buy a return ticket on the day for the train from London to Peaky Blinders territory, Birmingham Airport station (and that was off peak). Too hard to catch 2 buses from Birmingham Airport Station to the factory pretty much out in the middle of nowhere in Castle Bromwich. So about 15 pounds for a one way Uber to the factory from the station. Jaguar were very nice and called an uber driver for the return trip back to Birmingham Airport Station.
They could do a bit more to give you some goodies to take away with you on the day, I would pay extra for it but overall a couple hundred Australian dollars spent was definitely worth while. The F Type is an absolute amazing car to see being produced in aluminium. The design and energy that has gone into this car and the technology that Jaguar use on this is industry leading. Hate the water based paints though all brands seem to be using; not sure if they'll last the distance as the solvent based.
For all that love coal powered cars the current I Pace display there is nicely done. Again another beautiful Ian Callum design. This is a premium car, the quality fit and finish on the I Pace sure teaches Tesla a thing or two. Needs a bigger nose to fit the 5 litre supercharged V8 though!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CastleBromwichFlyer.PDF (522.7 KB, 26 views)
The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
Straight 6 possible for the new R? Maybe BMW sourced? Maybe also be quicker but to me not quite the same as a V8..
The rumour I heard was a BMW 4.4L V8 turbo. I have an aversion to German "engineering" so wouldn't want that one - I'll hang on to my British built supercharged V8!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
George05 (11-01-2019), Paul_59 (11-02-2019)