F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you buy factory extended warranty at time of purchase?
YES
5.00%
NO
95.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 06:37 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Factory warranty

Factory extended warranty at time of purchase. Worth it? What say you?

Old 03-20-2024, 09:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I extended for one year, but didn't after that. I have a trusted independent who keeps me on the road for reasonable costs.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:38 AM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't extend as my F-Type is a 2024 and has a great 5 year warranty and if problems do develop it should be around that time at no cost to me. I also will only drive it about 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year, so I hope the low mileage helps in the long run too.

However if there is issues that come up during the 5 year warranty period I will seriously look at purchasing a extended warranty.

Last edited by TangledThorns; 03-20-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:40 AM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

My car was a CPO that had 6 months of the 5 year factory warranty left on it when I bought it. After that expired, an additonal 1 year CPO warranty kicked in. The CPO warranty isn't as complete in coverage as the factory warranty, but covers all the major stuff. I didn't purchase any additonal warranty.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:20 PM

Interesting poll results so far….hmmm

I’m being told that if I were to elect to purchase the extended warranty at the end of the base warranty (we only get 4 years here in Canada, with no included maintenance) that it would be “substantially more expensive”…Whatever that means…Not sure if it’s just a sales tactic or not. A buddy of mine suggested to me that it should not be more (only due to regular inflationary costs between now and 3.5 years when I might buy one, not because I didn’t buy it at time of purchase).

I need to review the details of what’s not covered, and then I’ll make a decision I guess. I too will be relatively low KMs with this car (summer only), but my intent is to keep the car a long time. I feel that this car is pretty worked out at this stage, but…. ;-0

I’m the type that basically never buys warranty for anything. Here I’m considering it given that one failure on a car like this could pay for the warranty 2 or 3 times over. It’s something to consider, especially if buying it at time of purchase is the most cost effective.

These are individual decisions for all of us, but it is interesting to see the different ideas people have towards this stuff.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I extended for one year, but didn't after that. I have a trusted independent who keeps me on the road for reasonable costs.
I have a well regarded independent here as well, and that is entering into my mind a bit concerning this. I always kinda envisioned taking my car there eventually, but I suppose that anything serious would still be expensive through them.

I also have the impression that there can often be better knowledge at the independents as well given that they are often seasoned Jag techs that went out on their own to have their own business, not some 20 year old at the mainline Jag dealer who is super green and wrenching on your expensive car…lol

Old 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Received 109 Likes on 45 Posts

I've extended it on my MY21 P450 for 2 years running now, purely on the basis that the headlights alone would cost FAR more than the cost of the warranty were they to fail. I'm sure that if I had a pre-LED car then I would be more hesitant, but given the bespoke nature of these units, and their lack of simple repair, I am not willing to take the risk. That said, if it creeps much above the £900 it was this year (renewed just a week ago) then I might think differently. LED headlights are great when they work, but the inability to fix them easily is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:16 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

I did not purchase an extended warranty when I made the purchase. However, I did get one. My car had been on the lot a long time. They made it a CPO even though it was new which gave me a sixth year. As part of the negotiations during purchase I negotiated that they throw in a seventh year of CPO warranty.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:40 PM

So, it looks like I have made a bad assumption. Because this “Prestige warranty” was being offered on a new Jag at a dealership I just assumed this was an official Jag warranty?

Now I’m seeing glimpses of info saying this may not be the case. If it’s not they sure make it look like one.

Is anyone able to definitively say that this Prestige thing is not an official Jag thing? Is it a 3rd party warranty in Sheep’s clothing?

Very deceptive if it is not a legit Jag factory warranty.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cluck
I've extended it on my MY21 P450 for 2 years running now, purely on the basis that the headlights alone would cost FAR more than the cost of the warranty were they to fail. I'm sure that if I had a pre-LED car then I would be more hesitant, but given the bespoke nature of these units, and their lack of simple repair, I am not willing to take the risk. That said, if it creeps much above the £900 it was this year (renewed just a week ago) then I might think differently. LED headlights are great when they work, but the inability to fix them easily is a disaster waiting to happen.
Yeah, you bring up a very good point about the LED headlights. Those specifically crossed my mind in the past as major likely fail points, had me wondering/thinking, etc…

So you know that an actual Jag extended warranty for sure includes failed headlights?

I checked the details on this Prestige warranty (which I really had to dig for and ask them to provide) and it looks to me that it DOES NOT cover headlights. I guess this could be the proof I need to know that it’s not an actual Jag warranty?

Is an official Jag warranty something that can only be purchased after the initial sale of the vehicle? I just don’t know. Do you have to contact Jag head office to purchase one? This seems a bit confusing that a Jag dealer would be pushing something other than an official Jag warranty. At least to me.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:16 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

A word on extended warranty pricing. All dealers do not charge the same price for the same warranty. You would think that is the case, but it is not.

I have saved a bunch when purchasing extended warranties at dealerships. All it takes is a few phone calls to different dealers of the make you are buying to find out what they are charging for the warranty.

I have done this when purchasing several different brands of cars. It got to the point that I would call around before I purchased the car and take the best price with me. At purchase time I would ask the selling dealer for the warranty cost and if it was not better than the price I had I would let them know. They would either match the price or beat it.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:49 PM

So did Jag corporate offer this extended warranty to you? Did you call Jag corporate? Did you get it through a dealer?

I need to get this stuff a little clearer, as I’m closing soon. I guess I can try and call Jaguar Canada tomorrow to get a little more clarity on things worse case.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Yeah, you bring up a very good point about the LED headlights. Those specifically crossed my mind in the past as major likely fail points, had me wondering/thinking, etc…

So you know that an actual Jag extended warranty for sure includes failed headlights?

I checked the details on this Prestige warranty (which I really had to dig for and ask them to provide) and it looks to me that it DOES NOT cover headlights. I guess this could be the proof I need to know that it’s not an actual Jag warranty?

Is an official Jag warranty something that can only be purchased after the initial sale of the vehicle? I just don’t know. Do you have to contact Jag head office to purchase one? This seems a bit confusing that a Jag dealer would be pushing something other than an official Jag warranty. At least to me.
All the info I had read suggested that the full Jag warranty, not the 'select' one, was as good as a standard warranty and I know from the terms that it covers repairs up to the value of the car. Almost every aftermarket warranty I looked at specifically excluded things like headlights, so I gave them a hard pass - they were a third the price of Jaguar but clearly for good reason.

Originally Posted by DMeister
So did Jag corporate offer this extended warranty to you? Did you call Jag corporate? Did you get it through a dealer?

I need to get this stuff a little clearer, as I’m closing soon. I guess I can try and call Jaguar Canada tomorrow to get a little more clarity on things worse case.
Jaguar sent me a card in the post offering the extended warranty, both last year and this year. The code took me straight to their warranty site with all of my details correctly filled in, I just had to select the warranty I wanted (full or select) and how I wanted to pay. It took minutes, at most. I've owned the car since new, for what its worth.

Also, note that I'm in the UK, so things may well be different here on the warranty side of things.

Last edited by Cluck; 03-20-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:00 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Self jnsure?

I bought my 2017 in 2020 as it was coming of a lease with 24K miles. I still had 18 months of factory warranty left. I also checked over its Carfax and found nothing amiss. I did however work with my local dealer to get some issues resolved before the warranty expired, the coolant pipes, failure of the ambient lighting to come on, a failing battery. I had a bad experience with an extended warranty on wheels, so opted to self insure, paying the premiums into a savings account that I manage. No one can deny a repair. Going on 4 years of ownership and nothing more than tires and maintenance. Hope it stays that way

Old 03-20-2024, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I have a similar story to Valerie.
I bought my F-Type outright for cash in Sep 2016 from a Sydney used car dealership, with 1 year and four months to go on the factory new car warranty (a whopping 3 years back then in Oz), and I never considered then or now paying for any type of extended warranty.
Instead I sock away what I can in a fixed account and if or when I need to spend a large amount on any repairs (which I have not needed as yet, fingers crossed!) I can simply transfer whatever I need from the fixed account to my day-to-day account.
One and only one major repair to date - replace the SC snout to fix the notorious SC coupler rattle - but that was covered under the new car warranty and cost me nothing but some time and inconvenience.
One minor repair to date - replace a split expansion tank hose, cost a whopping $36 IIRC.
All other expenses have been day-to-day running/maintenance/service costs none of which could possibly be covered by any warranty.
Bottom line - anything I may have spent on an extended warranty would have been a total waste of money!

Old 03-20-2024, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have a similar story to Valerie.
I bought my F-Type outright for cash in Sep 2016 from a Sydney used car dealership, with 1 year and four months to go on the factory new car warranty (a whopping 3 years back then in Oz), and I never considered then or now paying for any type of extended warranty.
Instead I sock away what I can in a fixed account and if or when I need to spend a large amount on any repairs (which I have not needed as yet, fingers crossed!) I can simply transfer whatever I need from the fixed account to my day-to-day account.
One and only one major repair to date - replace the SC snout to fix the notorious SC coupler rattle - but that was covered under the new car warranty and cost me nothing but some time and inconvenience.
One minor repair to date - replace a split expansion tank hose, cost a whopping $36 IIRC.
All other expenses have been day-to-day running/maintenance/service costs none of which could possibly be covered by any warranty.
Bottom line - anything I may have spent on an extended warranty would have been a total waste of money!
That’s fantastic for you guys, but to state the obvious that luck could run out at any time. Not saying your approach isn’t the right one, but it’s a gamble either way with expensive cars like this I suppose.

It’s impossible to say what one should do for sure. If you had to replace your engine you probably wouldn’t feel the same way.

I need to find me a crystal ball to help me decide ;-0

I have a friend with a V8 Vantage that was bought used. It has been perfectly reliable for like 9 years and he drives it a lot. Not a garage queen at all. Sounds a lot like the experience you are having, so clearly it can happen ;-o Had he listened to the Internet he never should have bought that car. It has been one of the best cars he has owned, and he would have missed out on a lot of enjoyment. No extended warranties.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:20 PM

All the info I had read suggested that the full Jag warranty, not the 'select' one, was as good as a standard warranty and I know from the terms that it covers repairs up to the value of the car. Almost every aftermarket warranty I looked at specifically excluded things like headlights, so I gave them a hard pass - they were a third the price of Jaguar but clearly for good reason.

Jaguar sent me a card in the post offering the extended warranty, both last year and this year. The code took me straight to their warranty site with all of my details correctly filled in, I just had to select the warranty I wanted (full or select) and how I wanted to pay. It took minutes, at most. I've owned the car since new, for what its worth.

Also, note that I'm in the UK, so things may well be different here on the warranty side of things.
Thanks for the info. I’m gonna have to call Jag Canada. I saw references on some forums that Jag itself may not even offer factory extended warranty in Canada. I will have to confirm.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
... Going on 4 years of ownership and nothing more than tires and maintenance.
Er, you didn't mention fuel!

Old 03-21-2024, 06:46 AM

Ultimately, it's a gamble and extended warranty is nothing more than insurance against something going wrong. Over here, it is literally treated as an insurance policy, complete with the taxes that go with it. As with all insurance policies there will be winners and losers, with the vast majority of people losing out but sleeping peacefully knowing they are covered IF it goes wrong. I suspect that I will stop paying for the extended warranty myself in a year or so and just cross my fingers that the headlights don't screw up - especially given the number of faults reported with the DRL portion of the traditional shape LED headlights.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:40 AM

I just got off the phone with Jaguar Canada (really just Jag North America) and they cannot even tell me if a factory extended warranty is available to Canadians. Really?!? How is it that they do not know this. Ridiculous.

Told me to contact my dealer. Sure. They are pushing these 3rd party ones for profit reasons basically…

Okay, so the dealer just got back as I was typing this and confirmed that there is no factory extended warranty available to Canadians. Not at time of purchase, and not before the base warranty expires.

Man, you Americans get the red carpet treatment down there…5 year base warranty, free maintenance, factory extended warranty…We’re like second class citizens up here…

Quick Reply: Factory warranty