F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you buy factory extended warranty at time of purchase?
YES
5.00%
NO
95.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 09:53 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Years ago, I worked for an insurance bureau and got some insight into how they operate. Essentially, it's exactly like Valerie's description of self insurance - except that from the premiums you and I give them, they pay for infrastructure... salaries, data processing, fancy buildings, marketing, and legal fees to find means to minimize the number of payouts.

Wasn't too hard to do the math. I set up my own account back then. Every time I buy something with an available extended warranty, I note the amount and dump the equivalent in the that account.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:52 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

2021 P300 coupe here

no AWD, transfer case/front differential or CV axels/joints to fail
no electronically controlled differential
no Dynamic suspension
Ingenium engine - no known coolant pipe issues
..............................no hood vents dripping water - no known stuck/rusted in injector issues
..............................no known supercharger/turbocharger issues
..............................no known timing chain/tensioner problems

Factory warranty is based on first in service date - I'm good till next March

21,000 on the clock now - not one warranty issue ............... yet

I've got a year to extend the warranty - if it's still offered. Who knows what will happen with JLR

Assuming I don't trade up to a 450 Dynamic RWD, (unlikely) we'll have to make a decision in a year.

What would YOU do?

BEST !

RWS

Old 03-22-2024, 08:13 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by theEIger
Years ago, I worked for an insurance bureau and got some insight into how they operate. Essentially, it's exactly like Valerie's description of self insurance - except that from the premiums you and I give them, they pay for infrastructure... salaries, data processing, fancy buildings, marketing, and legal fees to find means to minimize the number of payouts.

Wasn't too hard to do the math. I set up my own account back then. Every time I buy something with an available extended warranty, I note the amount and dump the equivalent in the that account.
At the end of the day that’s as good an approach as any (i.e.: Put premium cost in bank) given that there is no crystal ball on this stuff, but the truth is a car like the F-type, and similar, could greatly exceed the saved premium amount in reality if you got unlucky. How likely we would be to face that bad luck? Hard to say. If the car is maintained I feel the latest F-types are pretty solid.

If we were talking about a Toyota here, or even not a Toyota that was a more economical non-luxury car, then I’d be willing to bet that the “put the premium in the bank” approach would cover off any unexpected/unwanted failures. If bad failures occur on a Jaguar you will likely have a huge difference between what’s in your account from saving the premium and what that cost will be to fix the problem. That’s almost certain in my view. This is the reality of where one could end up with these cars in a worse case scenario.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:34 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderjet Racing
2021 P300 coupe here

no AWD, transfer case/front differential or CV axels/joints to fail
no electronically controlled differential
no Dynamic suspension
Ingenium engine - no known coolant pipe issues
..............................no hood vents dripping water - no known stuck/rusted in injector issues
..............................no known supercharger/turbocharger issues
..............................no known timing chain/tensioner problems

Factory warranty is based on first in service date - I'm good till next March

21,000 on the clock now - not one warranty issue ............... yet

I've got a year to extend the warranty - if it's still offered. Who knows what will happen with JLR

Assuming I don't trade up to a 450 Dynamic RWD, (unlikely) we'll have to make a decision in a year.

What would YOU do?

BEST !

RWS
You being in the US, at least you have the option of getting a theoretically higher quality extended warranty if you choose to do so. Canada and other regions are not so lucky it would seem.

I here ya, so hard to know what the best call is…

I know that if I don’t add an extended warranty at purchase time I will be very unlikely to do it later. At least here in Canada this Prestige warranty through the dealer will be significantly higher to buy later. A recent post on this forum by another Canadian proved that. Buying it at purchase time is already quite expensive. That said, I know I would not buy it later, as I already don’t like the cost at vehicle purchase time LOL

I close on the car this weekend, so I basically need to decide today. If I wasn’t planning to keep this car a very long time I probably wouldn’t even entertain the idea of an extended warranty but I am planning to hold the vehicle.

As for all this talk of Jaguar failing…Lots of dramatics right now on this. My opinion on that is that everyone needs to take a breather and take a chill pill. The whole thing is somewhat concerning, but geez, I think people need to have a bit more faith. This is a long running brand that has a lot of heritage. Also, the overall company JLR is doing okay given the success of the the LR side. That said, it’s not like the whole thing is imminently burning down. Articles and people can speculate all they want. It doesn’t mean that any info out there is accurate, so I wouldn’t base my decision for a warranty purchase on any of that.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:09 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

If I were purchasing a new one I'd lease it. At the end of the lease if I had found I had gotten a good one, I'd plan to purchase it and add the CPO warranty on the used car. If I found I had leased a bad one then I'd just let it go.
Did this a couple times. Let the Lexus ES350 and Infinity G35x go, bought the Volvo S60 R Design.

When I purchased my first Jag it was the high mileage F Type R with about a minute of factory warranty left. The fact that it was CPO under the old rules gave me piece of mind to try out the brand. Couldn't be any worse than the Audi's and BMW's I'd owned. Same with the 35t Pace. By the time I found my S Pace I was confident I could deal with the known's like coolant pipes and there were few unknowns that could bite me.